Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ds160 question

Options
  • 30-05-2016 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hey everybody so a while back i received a garda caution, and now i am going on an exchange to an american university, i have applied for the police cert so hopefully i get an interview at the embassy, one of the questions on the ds160 is "have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty or other similar action? This includes all arrests or detentions, including those at the border and by customs and border patrol" should i answer yes to this or will that effect my status on getting an interview and my visa, or should i answer no and give up my police cert on the day of my interview,

answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I would always say in cases like this you are better being honest. You were arrested so you should say so.

You have a better chance of getting cleared by being honest than if they you say no and it subsequently comes to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

From the citizens info website: "Adult cautions are not disclosed in Garda vetting reports and police certificates."

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/law_enforcement/adult_cautioning_scheme.html

I thought it only mattered if you were convicted of an offense? Surely a caution is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

jme2010 wrote: »
    I thought it only mattered if you were convicted of an offense? Surely a caution is nothing.

He is asked if he was ever arrested

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Don't lie on a visa application, especially not a US one. If you were ever arrested, answer the question truthfully.

Advertisement