Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook 2016 sending attachments as links

Options
  • 30-05-2016 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Need a bit of help here please.

I have Office 365 installed on my PC with all my files in OneDrive, problem is that when I send files as attachments Outlook substitutes them as a link which is very handy for bandwidth usage and all that I guess, but on the other hand when the email goes to business they are unable to download the file due to IT restrictions.

Anyone got an idea of how I can set outlook to just send the attachment without the link ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Yeah I had this for one of our clients. Incredibly frustrating. We had two choices.

1. Downgrade to Office 2013 (while you still can)
    2. Get the user to click on the box beside the attachment and there is the option to send the file.

It's part of Microsoft pushing people towards Sharepoint. They dont get it yet, that people HATE the massive slow mess that is sharepoint, and everybody is trying to get away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

A pox on you Bill Gates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Why would they stop attachments ?

Why would they stop attachments ?

They dont stop attachments. What they do is change it so that a link to the file is sent (by default) instead of properly attaching the file. This makes attaching a file now a two stage process. 1. attach the file and 2. Choose to attach the actual file not a link.

We did sharepoint courses and the idea is that you just send a link to the other person so that the file is never actually sent through email, which is more secure and saves bandwidth / mailbox size. The problem is that nobody uses Sharepoint because it is a slow piece of sh1t, and every single one of our customers preferred attaching files like they would in Outlook 2013.

All rolled back to 2013, thanks for your help Peter

• Advertisement

I just got a message over the weekend from this thread that I signed up to on microsoft's site.

https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/172/p/412847/1142932#1142932
    The way to make the default attachment to "attach as a copy" is to make a new email

1. Click attach at the top.
    2. In the bottom left corner you should see "Accounts and Options" click on that.
    3. Then click "Attachment Preferences" and select "always attach them as a copy" for all choices.

This has worked for me.

Might help somebody in the future when we are all no doubt forced to go to Office 2016.

Meh,
    I'm sticking with 2013 as there are other issues like every time I looked for a file on onedrive be it a power point presentation or word doc it always downloaded the server copy which is fine if you have a fast connection.

Advertisement