Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will win the Euros?

• 30-05-2016 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

For me its France. With the huge home support, great home winning record in Paris and with a front 3 of Giroud, Martial and Greizmann I think they will get over the line.

Comments

billyhead wrote: »
    For me its France. With the huge home support, great home winning record in Paris and with a front 3 of Giroud, Martial and Greizmann I think they will get over the line.

I'd agree. What are the odds for France BTW. Worth 50 squids each way I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The French always seem to fall at the final hurdle, the exception being in the '98 World Cup in France of course. I'd usually back against them but I agree it's hard to look past them on their home soil and with that attack. I fancy Belgium to do quite well and Germany to choke in the early stages of the knockout round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

billyhead wrote: »

Not to be an Arsenal basher, but on reasons France might win Giroud shouldn't be high on the list

It's mad they haven't brought Gameiro or Benzema (different circumstances obviously)

I'd prefer to see Payet or Coman start in their front 3 along with Martial and Griezmann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Ireland will win .tis the year of miracles. In all seriousness I don't see a really standout team which is y I think an outsider has a great chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

WALES :D:D:D:D:D

Nah, as long as we beat the English i don't give a rats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think a full-strength France would be favourite, but they're missing a few who IMO would make them stronger.

I know they haven't been firing on all cylinders since winning the World Cup, but I think Germany will do it. I see your Griezmann, Martial and Giroud and raise you Ozil, Reus and Muller.

Belgium!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Might have a bet on an outsider Croatia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Can see Austria doing well, they are turning in to a very good team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Drew Spain in the sweep so that narrows it down to 23 if that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I've not really been keeping tabs on France of late, but I'd imagine that maintaining a sense of camaraderie within the squad will have a big say in how far they progress. Talented, but not always pulling in the same direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Northern Ireland are my leicester city for this as much as 500/1 outsiders yet they are unbeaten in their last 11 games. I'm sticking a fiver on that.

The realist in me says France or Belgium. €10 each on them two and a cheeky fiver on Ireland as a boy can dream. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No clear favourites. No strong teams this time around.
    France possibly to edge it because of home advantage. Germany because(yes it's a cliche)they are Germany.

martyos121 wrote: »
    The French always seem to fall at the final hurdle, the exception being in the '98 World Cup in France of course. I'd usually back against them but I agree it's hard to look past them on their home soil and with that attack. I fancy Belgium to do quite well and Germany to choke in the early stages of the knockout round.

Really? I'm not so sure.
    They are missing Kompany I think. (Open to correction)
    Benteke isn't exactly lighting the world on fire.
    As for Lukaku there is still something hot / cold about him IMO

I do admit Hazard finally came into a bit of form towards the very end of the season but generally his season has been awful by the standards he set the previous season.
    Also, Fellani has been playing well consistently for the national team as well as Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Collie D wrote: »
    Drew Spain in the sweep so that narrows it down to 23 if that helps

Spain have decent options up front now. I wouldn't back against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

France at home, like the 1998 World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I have this feeling in my water to go for England. I might stick a few Euro on them. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

France or Belgium. This is Pogba's time to proper explode and with Griezmann, Kante and Coman being the inform players in Europe they'll be very hard to stop and they've more than just a strong starting XI. Belgium have a super strong spine even without Kompany. Courtois, Alderweireld, Nainggolan, De Bruyne, Hazard, Lukaku. Good fringe players as well. A non Spain/Germany winner and final appearance would be sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Iceland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

France also won the Euro's the last time it was held in France.

It's difficult to pick a winner, Germany could be back on song and will take all the beating if they are. Two teams that grealy impressed in qualifying were England and Austria.

I have this feeling that Spain might be the team though. Imo they have the best defense in the tournament and their midfield is very strong with Busquets, Iniesta, Koke, Silva, Isco and Saul Niguez.

Morata has improved a bunch and they also have Aritz Aduriz and Lucas Vasquez. Its a very strong squad and after the failure in the last World Cup the pressure is off to a certain extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Of the outsiders I think Poland are overpriced at 50/1,only 1 defeat in their last 18 matches (away to Germany) and Lewandowski is capable of scoring against anyone so a small e/w on them. Will also have a bet on England,best squad they have had in years IMO, and Belgium with the individual talent they have cant be discounted at a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Northern Ireland are my leicester city for this as much as 500/1 outsiders yet they are unbeaten in their last 11 games. I'm sticking a fiver on that.

The realist in me says France or Belgium. €10 each on them two and a cheeky fiver on Ireland as a boy can dream. :D
    We have only been beaten once in the same period ... after playing England, Germany, Holland etc.... its all relative in International Football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Reckon France or Germany but haven't seen enough of any of the teams aside from Ireland and Spain so it's more of a hunch than based on what I've seen.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Really? I'm not so sure.
    They are missing Kompany I think. (Open to correction)
    Benteke isn't exactly lighting the world on fire.
    As for Lukaku there is still something hot / cold about him IMO

I do admit Hazard finally came into a bit of form towards the very end of the season but generally his season has been awful by the standards he set the previous season.
    Also, Fellani has been playing well consistently for the national team as well as Utd.

Well they do have Origi who had a great 30 minutes in a friendly the last night, it's only fair to admit he's looking like a serious talent. Kompany is a big miss but Alderweireld has had an unreal season and is more than capable of organising a defence. Nainngolan, Mertens, De Bruyne all quality players too, they have a wealth of attacking talent.

Of course, they also have the master of the dark arts, Afro McElbows (I don't mean that as a dig btw, you need some players who like to "win at any cost").

Lukaku on his day is just completely unplayable, unfortunately for Belgium, his day can be once every 5-10 weeks at best.

Well they do have Origi who had a great 30 minutes in a friendly the last night, it's only fair to admit he's looking like a serious talent. Kompany is a big miss but Alderweireld has had an unreal season and is more than capable of organising a defence. Nainngolan, Mertens, De Bruyne all quality players too, they have a wealth of attacking talent.

Of course, they also have the master of the dark arts, Afro McElbows (I don't mean that as a dig btw, you need some players who like to "win at any cost").

Lukaku on his day is just completely unplayable, unfortunately for Belgium, his day can be once every 5-10 weeks at best.

Fair points made.
    I do admit my research on the current Belgium is not great.
    Also, forgot about De Bruyne who's had a good season

Fair points made.
    I do admit my research on the current Belgium is not great.
    Also, forgot about De Bruyne who's had a good season

They're not yet proven at the highest level tbf, couldn't even get the better of Wales in qualifying. I reckon it'll be a team that wins the Euros, as in a collective unit. Belgium have the star power but I'd give much more of a chance to a squad that pulls together after seeing what Leicester did this year. Could have another Euro 2004 on our hands I'd say, a lot of average sides will have a go this year I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I think England have a decent shot but wouldn't be surprised if they got knocked out in the quarters. France look like favorites on home soil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Think Italy have a good outside chance at 16/1.

They're not yet proven at the highest level tbf, couldn't even get the better of Wales in qualifying. I reckon it'll be a team that wins the Euros, as in a collective unit. Belgium have the star power but I'd give much more of a chance to a squad that pulls together after seeing what Leicester did this year. Could have another Euro 2004 on our hands I'd say, a lot of average sides will have a go this year I feel.
    Could also be slight bias from me due to the fact I'm hoping Belgium do **** because they are simply in our group :P
    I really do expect us to do alot more in this year's tournament than just have everyone sing "The fields of athenry" while we get thumped 4-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

England obviously.

Could also be slight bias from me due to the fact I'm hoping Belgium do **** because they are simply in our group :P
    I really do expect us to do alot more in this year's tournament than just have everyone sing "The fields of athenry" while we get thumped 4-0

Haha I'd actually forgotten they were, suppose that's how little of a chance I give us though. Might get a point off Sweden, three of we're lucky, but I don't see us taking anything from Belgium or Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I fancy France to win it on home soil, they've a very strong squad and the home team usually does well. They have a lot of players who are on form as well something which some of the other favourites don't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

In terms of squad you couldn't look further than France, however I don't see that warrior in their squad, a real exceptional talent and leader. Like a Schweinsteiger or Puyol/Xavi that Spain and Germany had at the cornerstone of their tournament wins.

France have always had a fairly strong squad but they haven't found someone as influential as Zidane.

I'm going with Poland as the surprise package.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I'm always suprised at how many people go for the host nation in major championships. They usually don't win.

France were actually the last host nation to win the Euros 32 years ago but that was with, arguably the best player in world at the time, Platini at his peak. France have a decent squad this year but no one near that standard. I can't see them even reaching the semis unless someone steps up to become their match winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I think England have a decent shot but wouldn't be surprised if they got knocked out in the quarters.

A decent pick if you're looking for a dark horse. Goals shouldn't be too hard to come by when you consider their forward options, but keeping them out at the back will in all likelihood be their biggest problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,941 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Spain vs Belgium final with Belgium winning

England and France to lose in the semis

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

rob316 wrote: »
    In terms of squad you couldn't look further than France, however I don't see that warrior in their squad

Kante?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Think Italy have a good outside chance at 16/1.
    I was going to put something on them at the start of the year, but losing Marchisio and Verratti is too much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think Portugal have a very good chance of surprising people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Germany.

They are a competition team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I've gone for Spain v France in the final in one of these predictions spreadsheet we've to fill out in work.

If Benzema was going to the tournament I think France would have had an even better chance of winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

XR3i wrote: »
    ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

rob316 wrote: »
    In terms of squad you couldn't look further than France, however I don't see that warrior in their squad, a real exceptional talent and leader. Like a Schweinsteiger or Puyol/Xavi that Spain and Germany had at the cornerstone of their tournament wins.

France have always had a fairly strong squad but they haven't found someone as influential as Zidane.

I reckon they're somewhat sorted in that regard with Pogba and Kante there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Korat wrote: »
    I'm always suprised at how many people go for the host nation in major championships. They usually don't win.

France were actually the last host nation to win the Euros 32 years ago but that was with, arguably the best player in world at the time, Platini at his peak. France have a decent squad this year but no one near that standard. I can't see them even reaching the semis unless someone steps up to become their match winner.

Well you learn something new everyday, after you wiki it to try and prove someone wrong ;), I always thought Denmarks win was at home and I swear I remember Greece being the host not Portugal (must have mixed up the final in my head)

Ha. Cheers Korat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Spain for me, solid campaigners. Not sure all of the French players are hugely patriotic/French. Germany will have to raise their level to win IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I fancy Italy but I don't know why. I just keep coming back to them.

Harry Kane for top goalscorer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Morata top scorer at 16/1 looks nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Germany. If they have 23 lads better than Reus than no one will touch them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Korat wrote: »

Invariably though the hosts usually make it to the last four... 12 out of the last 14 euros the host has made it to the semis. So France could be a good bet to go that far, then who knows after that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement