Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will win the Euros?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Germany. If they have 23 lads better than Reus than no one will touch them!

Reus is out thru injury, if he wasn't injured he would have been in the squad (and first XI)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

elefant wrote: »
    Kante?

Sure he's a good player and has had an exceptional season but he's not of the ilk of the other players I have mentioned. Pogba is a brilliant player maybe he can be the one that steps up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I'm going to be a bore and go for Spain. Very strong squad with the spine having a lot of experience of winning big trophies.

England have the best squad in years but not the best manager. France dont have grit to win it, Germany are not playing well, Belgium are inexperienced.

If Wales keep the defense tight, they have the best player in the tournament at their disposal to nick games.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

cos irelands got the greatest football team

olé olé ole ole olé olé

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Gonna throw a tenner on Italy @ 16/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Is Italy's squad not a bit crap outside of the defence? They've been mentioned a few times to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

England surely its there year!

4 strikers that can score solid midfield if played correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

CSF wrote: »
    Is Italy's squad not a bit crap outside of the defence? They've been mentioned a few times to be fair.

Verratti and moreso Marchisio are huge losses in the middle. Insigne and El Shaaraway are playing brilliantly this season...but beyond that, not great. I'm not sure why he hasn't picked Jorginho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

France have this one absolutely nailed on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Verratti and moreso Marchisio are huge losses in the middle. Insigne and El Shaaraway are playing brilliantly this season...but beyond that, not great. I'm not sure why he hasn't picked Jorginho.

Montolivo gone aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Spain still have the best set of players. I'll go for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I don't know how anyone could tip Italy to win this to be honest, they are an average team that are showing little form and numerous injuries.

but1er wrote: »
    England surely its there year!

4 strikers that can score solid midfield if played correctly

No real stand out CM though and the centre back options are very poor. Strong in the full back area and striker that is it. I'd like to see them do well, but I'm predicting an early plane home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

http://euro2016.eurosport.co.uk/

Let's you play out the tournament. I has Germany beating Poland in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If it was the German team of two years ago, Id have them as strong favorites. They are as good as at home geographically. have an extremely solid and consistent coach and players. Have the winning mentality and won the last two tournaments big tournaments...

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    http://euro2016.eurosport.co.uk/

Let's you play out the tournament. I has Germany beating Poland in the final.

I had Spain beating France in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

rob316 wrote: »

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Spain beating France and Ireland getting to the semi's!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Same here

+1,rushes of to the bookies:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

No real stand out CM though and the centre back options are very poor. Strong in the full back area and striker that is it. I'd like to see them do well, but I'm predicting an early plane home.

Absolutely no chance!!!!

We're getting the Eurostar :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

After going through that predictor I know feel like it will be Germany vs France to see who plays Spain in the final. Then again they would be the 3 favorites so no real shocks there.

I've predicted a 2nd round exit to Spain for Ireland a la WC 2002 but I don't know am I being nice to us saying we will get 3rd in our group. Maybe it's the same with N.Ireland who I also said will go out to a big team (hosts france) in the 2nd round as I think they could get something vs Ukraine.

My team to get surprisingly far would be either England or Italy as I don't think either are world beaters but they ended up paired together in the QF for me so one could easily get to the Semi-Final to face most likely Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Irish_rat wrote: »
    I'm going to be a bore and go for Spain. Very strong squad with the spine having a lot of experience of winning big trophies.

England have the best squad in years but not the best manager. France dont have grit to win it, Germany are not playing well, Belgium are inexperienced.

If Wales keep the defense tight, they have the best player in the tournament at their disposal to nick games.

Didn't know Ronaldo used the granny rule to join up with his mate Bale :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Using the predictor I had Portugal meeting Spain in the first semi-final, and France meeting Germany in the other one.

My head is saying Germany will win it but I am considering sticking a bet on Portugal. It's a question of how fit Ronaldo is going to be. If he's sharp, this might be his best chance of winning something for his country since losing in '04.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Used the predictor, I had Wales winning, wonder what odds they would be to win?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Spain have a squad that can afford to leave out
    Saul,Isco,Mata,Cazorla,Costa....

11/2... putting it all on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Semi's: Spain vs England and France vs Germany.
    Final: France beating Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

A nice double Spain for the Euros and Argentina for the Copa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Used the predictor, I had Wales winning, wonder what odds they would be to win?

I put €10 on Wales at 80/1 the other day. I might do Poland at 50/1 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

If Spain still had a David Villa it would be hard to look past them.
    I guess an awful lot depends on Morata.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Where's the poll?

Spain have a squad that can afford to leave out
    Saul,Isco,Mata,Cazorla,Costa....

11/2... putting it all on them

Quite astonishing really that they can leave that much talent out. If they had a world class striker like Villa or Torres still they would be banker to win it.

France and Spain have an embarrassment of riches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Germany for me.

Saw France in 98 and 00, Spain in 10 and 12, fancy Germany to push on from their WC success and win this.

Best side on paper imo with quality players all over the pitch (Spain and France have certain question marks), mostly the same squad that very deservedly won the WC and generally very strong mentally usually turning up at major tournaments.

Germany and Djokovic at 8/1 is my big bet of the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Germany, Spain and Belgium to underperform with England to swoop in to finally bring football home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Morzadec wrote: »
    Germany for me.

Saw France in 98 and 00, Spain in 10 and 12, fancy Germany to push on from their WC success and win this.

Best side on paper imo with quality players all over the pitch (Spain and France have certain question marks), mostly the same squad that very deservedly won the WC and generally very strong mentally usually turning up at major tournaments.

Germany and Djokovic at 8/1 is my big bet of the summer

Was thinking along the same lines. Then a bet for them to go out in the group stage at the next World Cup. Think there's a lot of over rating of the English squad, and they don't seem to have a stand out leader for when things get tough. Although if the Guardiola effect has kicked in on the national team already who knows...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭yknaa

Austria with stars from Bayern, Leicester and er, Stoke to go all the way.
    Won 9 of their group games. All set to do a 'Greece'

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Given that the previous appearances at the Euros by Ireland resulted in both finalists coming from our Group - it has to be Belgium and Italy in the final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Can't really see Germany doing it. Khedira said it even, their biggest challenge will be to psyche themselves up for it as a unit. And I could just see that too. Therefore I gonna go with France.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Did that predictor and another one three times and ended up with Spain France England and Germany in the semis every time. Worth a fiver at 40/1 in pp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I did my bet on Spain.

I'm not that confident. I think it's too wide open. And it is afterall the year of the underdog

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

Did that predictor and another one three times and ended up with Spain France England and Germany in the semis every time. Worth a fiver at 40/1 in pp

If France and Spain top their groups, will they not meet in the quarters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Boskowski wrote: »
    Can't really see Germany doing it. Khedira said it even, their biggest challenge will be to psyche themselves up for it as a unit. And I could just see that too. Therefore I gonna go with France.

they never had any trouble before psyching themselves up, they'll be there or there abouts as usual ..mark my words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Well I was on my betting website and just going to throw a fiver on Ireland out of dumb loyalty, when I spotted Italy at 18-1. Now I know their form is poor and their team seems relatively weak in comparison to previous years.. but I remember the pundits saying exactly the same thing about them before previous competitions yet they still advanced to the Semis. This is a wide open tournament, we know they will hard to break down and they know how to win dirty scrappy games.

At the time I was putting a bet on Liverpool last December, I noticed Leicester's odds of 50-1 were too generous to refuse and made a few bob from that... I reckon Italy at 18-1 are great value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

8-10 wrote: »
    Where's the poll?

On the BBC website of course

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

i'm gonna stake a medium sized gamble on irl for outright winners,

if i get offerered a 30% roi i'll cash out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mattman_iflaf

Kompany is doing commentary on BBC, on that basis most likely not playing :)

I think it's hard to look beyond either France or Spain. France as they are on home soil even though they are not showing any form. Spain, they have a fantastic squad especialy given who they are leaving at home (Cost, Mata, etc).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Germany look weaker than they did 2 years ago. Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Gomez and Podolski are all still there and they probably shouldn't be, but the next generation of German players haven't really pushed on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Semi's: Spain vs England and France vs Germany.
    Final: France beating Spain.

This for me as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Germany look weaker than they did 2 years ago. Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Gomez and Podolski are all still there and they probably shouldn't be, but the next generation of German players haven't really pushed on.

but even a weak german team will be hard to beat, its no fluke that they've reached nearly every semi final in a major competition...its in their temperament

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

fryup wrote: »
    but even a weak german team will be hard to beat, its no fluke that they've reached nearly every semi final in a major competition...its in their temperament
    Oh, for sure. I just don't think there's a stand out favourite at the tournament. I wouldn’t be surprised if Germany won it but I wouldn’t be confident about them doing it either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement