Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will win the Euros?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mattman_iflaf

ShooterSF wrote: »
    http://euro2016.eurosport.co.uk/

Let's you play out the tournament. I has Germany beating Poland in the final.

Another prediction site very similar but you can track your predictions through the tournament:

http://euro.iflaf.com

I went for Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I think the group winners will be as follows
    France, England, Poland, Spain, Belgium and Austria

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Fancy Croatia as dark horses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

This needs a poll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Has anyone mentioned Poland? They could be serious darkhorses from what ivecseen in qualifying. They brushed us aside like a bug and we are a hard team to beat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

I actually considered Poland when I saw this thread title. They do seem incredibly strong, world class striker and are formidable in temperament. Seem to be well set for a knock out tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

WarZ wrote: »
    I actually considered Poland when I saw this thread title. They do seem incredibly strong, world class striker and are formidable in temperament. Seem to be well set for a knock out tournament.

They are 2/1 to reach the 1/4 finals,thats the bet of the tournament IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Iceland.

It's still on!

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Didn't know Ronaldo used the granny rule to join up with his mate Bale :L

Bale showing his mate up who would have thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

deadybai wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned Poland? They could be serious darkhorses from what ivecseen in qualifying. They brushed us aside like a bug and we are a hard team to beat

Wha?? 1-1 and 2-1 are hardly brushing Ireland aside like a bug. They were clinging on at the death in both of those games, too. Poland, much like Sweden, have one main player as their difference maker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Bale showing his mate up who would have thought?
    These things happen. There is no argument that Bale has been better than Ronaldo over a longer stretch of time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Well after seeing all the teams, I would say Spain.

CSF wrote: »
    These things happen. There is no argument that Bale has been better than Ronaldo over a longer stretch of time though.

I was being sarcastic.

I still stand by my point. Bale will be the best player in the tournament and Spain to win.

On comparing the players, I would never argue that Ronaldo has been the superior footballer, on another level. One of the best of all time. The stats don't lie.

However the Welshman is outperforming him over the last two months and in a weaker national side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I picked Spain at the start to win but the team I think is dangerous is Belgium. The team they picked against Ireland looked impressive to me, they can move it around and create chances and they can counter too. They've got a decent defense, a solid midfield and they have a wealth of attacking midfielders. Lukaku just hit form and he is one of those that has a long dry spell and then a decent length hot spell so he could be on for the rest of the tournament.

Just on England, we really don't know how good they are yet. They've struggled to score goals but they've been up against three teams who spent the majority of the game with ten men behind the ball. It'll be interesting to see how they get on in the knockout phase and I've a feeling they will look a lot better.

I must print out the wall-chart. I'd like to see Croatia and Poland's route to the semi finals. A good possibility one of them will reach that stage. My excitement for Croatia-Spain is too much :pac: Probably a draw :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wales obviously. I can look no further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

eagle eye wrote: »
    I picked Spain at the start to win but the team I think is dangerous is Belgium. The team they picked against Ireland looked impressive to me, they can move it around and create chances and they can counter too. They've got a decent defense, a solid midfield and they have a wealth of attacking midfielders. Lukaku just hit form and he is one of those that has a long dry spell and then a decent length hot spell so he could be on for the rest of the tournament.

Lukaku scoring a couple of goals against us is not hitting form. He is so inconsistent it's incredible. Probably done for another few games now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Who'll win it? Semi-finalists: Germany, Belgium, Poland, Spain, France.
    I know thats 5 but some of above will probably meet before the semis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 G.Ames

I count on Germany , because the opponents always play very defensively in the group stag.
    In the Knockout's you have to win, a draw is not enough, then the germans will show theire skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just on England, we really don't know how good they are yet. They've struggled to score goals but they've been up against three teams who spent the majority of the game with ten men behind the ball. It'll be interesting to see how they get on in the knockout phase and I've a feeling they will look a lot better.

I'd be of the opinion that England's difficulties to break down organised defences will show even more as they come up against the better sides. They have good players up front but are lacking creativity in midfield. I reckon they'll go out if they meet Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Belgium and probably a few others.

I fancy Spain or Italy on what I've seen so far.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Lukaku scoring a couple of goals against us is not hitting form. He is so inconsistent it's incredible. Probably done for another few games now :pac:
    You do know that he has six goals in his last six international games? The only blank in that period was against Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I know turkey where poor the other night but Spain really impressed me they seem to be back playing with style and flair again ! Del Bosque really has them playing as a team , I think if they avoid each other it will be a Germany vs Spain final

Iceland.
    It's still on!

Still on you know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Still on you know!

Nice handy quarter final opponent for us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Still on you know!

They're in with a shout against England due to Hodgson. Can't see them winning but Hodgson is completely out of his depth so you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I think if they avoid each other it will be a Germany vs Spain final

Well they can't avoid each other because they map against each other in the quarter final.

The bottom half of the draw is so very very interesting where is the (arguably) predictable things happen, you'll get quarter finals of Spain v Germany and France v England with the winners of the 2 games meeting in the semi final.

It also leaves the door open for Croatia, Belgium, Poland or perhaps even Wales getting to the final from the other half.

I'd punt for a France -v- Croatia final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Well they can't avoid each other because they map against each other in the quarter final.

The bottom half of the draw is so very very interesting where is the (arguably) predictable things happen, you'll get quarter finals of Spain v Germany and France v England with the winners of the 2 games meeting in the semi final.

It also leaves the door open for Croatia, Belgium, Poland or perhaps even Wales getting to the final from the other half.

I'd punt for a France -v- Croatia final.

Don't get ahead of yourself we still have to play France yet. We'll give it our all and who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Don't get ahead of yourself we still have to play France yet. We'll give it our all and who knows.

Really, nobody can be confident in predicting any final of this....but the prospect of France having to beat Ireland is the least one that would make you think twice about predicting France for the final.

I hope you're right though. There's likely going to one big shock somewhere in the last 16 matches. France -v- Ireland, Germany -v- Slovakia, England -v- Iceland and maybe Wales -v- N. Ireland are arguably the only games where a real shock is possible. Hopefully it will be us!

Ireland

• Advertisement

Belgium have to beat Hungary and then Wales/N. Ireland to reach a semi-final. They should be in good shape with their opponents in that semi-final, should they make it, having two tough matches. Gotta think they have a great chance to go all the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

I think Swiss will make the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

Its a funny game anything can happen. Who would have predicted Iceland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I can see a Croatia v Wales semi final on that side of the draw!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Now I propose the new hashtag #GIVEAHANDTOIRELAND!!!!!!!!!!:D

TOEJOE wrote: »
    Its a funny game anything can happen. Who would have predicted Iceland.

Er...me
    Iceland.
    It's still on!
    Still on you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

I backed Engerland :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

I would honestly have Italy as the team to do it. At full strength and fully motivated, I believe they have the game to beat anyone at this tournament. It won't be firework stuff, but I think they'll get it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Mec27 wrote: »
    I think Swiss will make the final.

Nah they were pretty uninspiring against France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Canadel wrote: »
    Iceland and Wales could challenge if they get out of their respective groups.

France are my favourites though.
    Posted that a week before the Euros in the megathread.

I still think Wales can win it, though they may meet Belgium in the 1/4 final. I also said that Bale becoming the best player in Europe during this tournament (which he is already threatening to do) would be what is needed for Wales to win it. So if they do end up playing Belgium it would be interesting to draw parallels between himself, De Bruyne and Hazard in that game.

I think Iceland will slip up against England and while France will beat Ireland on Sunday, it remains to be seen if they have the overall team spirit and resilience required to win a major tournament. They should do considering they're at home. But then again it's France.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

It's the same all over again, nobody has us (Germany) on the radar, people rather go and say Wales (no disrespect, but seriously?) or whoever can win it. But if we can get past Italy/Spain we can pass and play anyone apart, once we start scoring it'll be very hard to stop us.

Boskowski wrote: »
    It's the same all over again, nobody has us (Germany) on the radar, people rather go and say Wales (no disrespect, but seriously?) or whoever can win it. But if we can get past Italy/Spain we can pass and play anyone apart, once we start scoring it'll be very hard to stop us.
    I haven't been too impressed with Germany so far. And it's very difficult to win two international tournaments in a row.

Why not Wales? Sure they're not near as strong on paper as Germany and a few others. But they topped their group with England in it, have probably the best player in the competition playing for them on current form, and they visibly possess an excellent team spirit and have a decent spine with a solid defence. If they overcome N. Ireland they most likely meet Belgium, which they will most likely lose, but if they win that game, then it's definitely on.

They probably won't win it. But this is cup football. And I don't think there is as big a gap between the teams that qualified from the groups as many might think. No team has looked unbeatable, or anywhere close to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

You're right. Especially with all the so-called big hitters on the same side of the draw it's a great chance for a team like Croatia, Belgium and of course Wales or Portugal to sneak into the final. And in s final anything could happen.

I was talking book form if you like. Wales are not a shabby side at all and certainly have enough to cause an upset if they get something going. But on book form for want of a better word there are a few teams ahead of them. Wales are a bit like Portugal. One super star a few stars and the rest at least handy.

I think Croatia is going to come through from that side

Boskowski wrote: »
    You're right. Especially with all the so-called big hitters on the same side of the draw it's a great chance for a team like Croatia, Belgium and of course Wales or Portugal to sneak into the final. And in s final anything could happen.

I was talking book form if you like. Wales are not a shabby side at all and certainly have enough to cause an upset if they get something going. But on book form for want of a better word there are a few teams ahead of them. Wales are a bit like Portugal. One super star a few stars and the rest at least handy.

I think Croatia is going to come through from that side
    Yeah, obviously part of the reason I'm leaning towards Wales is because they are a "home nation" and I know more about them than some of the other teams. But I do think the Bale factor is huge, and if Ramsay and Allen can rise to the occasion, then the rest of the team is solid and strong in spirit. I don't think Portugal have the same team unity, and I think Bale is the player in form of the two and obviously age is on his side here too. A win against N. Ireland would then allow him to prove to the world that he is perhaps the new world no. 2 against Belgium.

Croatia look good too. Obviously the midfield is lethal but I wonder do they have enough in attack and is their defence rock solid? Questions there. Ronaldo could spoil their hopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Everyone on the Wales bandwagon but they have absolutely no chance of winning it or getting to the final. They shat themselves after going 1 nil up after taking a fortunate lead from joe harts mistake. They lost to a poor out of sorts England side.
    Beating Russia that way means nothing they were a shambles by far the worst team in the tournament imo.

Should beat Northern Ireland but amazed people think they can get to the final or win it??:confused:

Everyone on the Wales bandwagon but they have absolutely no chance of winning it or getting to the final. They shat themselves after going 1 nil up after taking a fortunate lead from joe harts mistake. They lost to a poor out of sorts England side.
    Beating Russia that way means nothing they were a shambles by far the worst team in the tournament imo.

Should beat Northern Ireland but amazed people think they can get to the final or win it??:confused:

Everybody thought the same about Greece in 2004. It's knock out now...anything can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The way the draw is split is ridiculous. Imo the expansion to 24 teams has devalued the championship in some respects.

If Belgium want to continue as one of the top sides of the world then they need to be making the final from their side of the bracket. Do it now or choke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The way the draw is split is ridiculous. Imo the expansion to 24 teams has devalued the championship in some respects.

not just that but having just 8 teams eliminated in the group stages is a bit of a joke really,

it should have been the six group winners and two of the best runner ups into the QF's imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I must be in the minority that prefers this years tournament system. Very few teams with nothing to play for it their last group game keeps it more exciting imo. And we get more football.

• Advertisement

I called Wales to threaten to win it if they got out of their group before the tournament started so not sure what the whole "bandwagon" remark is about.

Secondly, they lost to quite a good England side. As good an England side as there has been in the last decade or so, and a side that has as much quality and has looked as dangerous as any other team in the tournament.

If they beat N. Ireland today, which they probably will, then they have every chance in a one off cup game against Belgium. Bale can score against anyone and if they can get two goals then their defence may be good enough to hold out. Who knows. It's cup football. They've a solid team with a superstar and one or two stars as a poster above said. All of whom have great spirit. It's a good base for any team. And it won the premier league for a team this year.

Advertisement