Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike €1750 budget

• 30-05-2016 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭

My 5 years bike to work has come round again and I'm looking to upgrade my current road bike , a Trek 1.2 Alpha.

My employer will only deal with one bike shop of their choosing. Of the brands the shop stock my choice would be between a Giant TCR advanced 2 or a Thompson Pilot. Both bikes full 105.

The shop are pretty accommodating and would try to get whatever bike I wanted.

Anyone got suggestions for any other bikes , better value or better Specced in that budget?

Criteria is carbon frame with 22speed 105 minimum. €1750 budget and I'm around a 54"-56" in size.
    I know I could probably get a bike with Ultegra for that price online but as already said I'm stuck with bikes available from a bricks n' mortar shop.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cjonesy1

What shop is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

Stagg's in Lucan, who to be fair have a decent range of bikes in stock. But of the brands they have that i could try , I liked the Giant and the Thompson best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

At that price is be expecting ultegra gear set. Plenty of the 999 bikes have 105

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

ted1 wrote: »
    At that price is be expecting ultegra gear set. Plenty of the 999 bikes have 105

105 and a carbon frame for 999? And plenty of them?? Canyon's alu frame with 105 for 999 is pretty good value, so would be surprised by what you've said, to be honest. That doesn't mean that Ultegra isn't reasonably to look for mind, but I think your claim is slightly overblown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

ted1 wrote:

I haven't seen any bikes with carbon frames and ultegra at that price available in Dublin.

What carbon bikes are 999 with 105?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 struggling1

Did u look at Cube road bikes? You will get Carbon frame with full Ultegra groupset for your budget. That is if your LBS sell Cube or can source for you.
    I did for that budget !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

cython wrote: »
    105 and a carbon frame for 999? And plenty of them?? Canyon's alu frame with 105 for 999 is pretty good value, so would be surprised by what you've said, to be honest. That doesn't mean that Ultegra isn't reasonably to look for mind, but I think your claim is slightly overblown.

I might have over looked the carbon part ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Canyon Endurance range has a carbon bike with Ultegra for under that budget. Think you need to go over the 2k mark to get Ultegra with their aeroad bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cloonamnaman

My 5 years bike to work has come round again and I'm looking to upgrade my current road bike , a Trek 1.2 Alpha.

My employer will only deal with one bike shop of their choosing. Of the brands the shop stock my choice would be between a Giant TCR advanced 2 or a Thompson Pilot. Both bikes full 105.

The shop are pretty accommodating and would try to get whatever bike I wanted.

Anyone got suggestions for any other bikes , better value or better Specced in that budget?

Criteria is carbon frame with 22speed 105 minimum. €1750 budget and I'm around a 54"-56" in size.
    I know I could probably get a bike with Ultegra for that price online but as already said I'm stuck with bikes available from a bricks n' mortar shop.
    Thanks

Would your LBS order in Dolan Dual or a Planet X RT-80? Both carbon Ultegra's for that kind of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,125 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What are you going to use it for?

Of those two I'd probably go for the Giant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Stagg's in Lucan, who to be fair have a decent range of bikes in stock. But of the brands they have that i could try , I liked the Giant and the Thompson best.

A mate of mine got a carbon Thompson with 105 for less than 1500 from Stagg cycles.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement