Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

William street to be renamed?

• 30-05-2016 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

Live95FM are reporting that there are calls for William street to be renamed Daly street.
    One of Limerick's busiest streets could be renamed in honour of a Limerick participant in the Easter Rising.
    Limerick City and County Council are being asked to honour Ned Daly who was commandant of Dublin's 1st battalion during the Rising and was executed on the 4th of May 1916.
    The local authority are now being urged to rename William Street, Little William Street and Upper William Street to Daly Street, Little Daly Street and Upper Daly Street, in his honour.
    Cllr Seighin Ó'Ceallaigh believes renaming William Street after Ned Daly would be a fitting tribute, in this centenary year...
    Source.
    William street is named after William Pery.
    Previously the Dean of Derry, he was nominated Bishop of Killala and Achonry on 7 January 1781 and consecrated on 18 February that year. He was translated to Limerick, Ardfert and Aghadoe on 13 May 1784. He was created Baron Glentworth, of Mallow in the Peerage of Ireland, in 1790 and died on 4 July 1794. William Street in Limerick is named after him, as were Cecil Street, Glentworth Street and Mallow Street
    Edward Daly was the youngest commandant of the easter rising.

So, what are peoples opinions on this? Being one of the busiest streets in Limerick, I don't think renaming it is a great idea. Most locals will continue to call it William street for years to come. Anyone new to the area could be confused by outdated maps/sat-navs. Rather than rename a street, maybe rename the Limerick tunnel?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Daly "Dealz" Street more like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

O Ceallaigh just has a republican agenda. He wants a street named after Bobby Sands and a statue in the station of Con Colbert...even though the station was named after him in 1966.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

Could be worse,

It could be John F. Kennedy Street, Little John F. Kennedy Street and Upper John F. Kennedy Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Is it right to rename streets that have held those names for centuries? We'd need very good reasons to do so, in my opinion, and I don't see them in this case.

The councillor is only looking for attention, I suspect.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

zulutango wrote: »
    The councillor is only looking for attention, I suspect.

Exactly this.

It's been a century. If there had ever been serious interest in "honouring" Daly's efforts it would have been done by now. No need at all to go renaming a street after a freedom fighter, not these days.

• Advertisement

What is it with councillors and the naming of streets and bridges?

Every year without fail one of them is proposing some ludicrous name change - you had Fianna Fail's Cathal Crowe proposing that UL be renamed The University of Limerick and Clare because part of the campus happens to be across the river in Clare.

Then that other guy Kennedy wanted to rename the Shannon Bride to The John F. Kennedy bridge.

And now this.

If only there was actually some pressing concerns that they could focus their attention on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Well we did have Georges Street be renamed to O'Connell Street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Mc Love wrote: »
    Well we did have Georges Street be renamed to O'Connell Street

That's a little different. George was named after King George in the same way other cities changed their names with big changes like Kingstown became Dun Laoighre and Queenstown became Cobh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

All the avenues in Janesboro are named after the 1916 heros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I dont think it would be right to rename it as the Pery family gave so much to Limerick in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭squonk

It's not worth renaming it as the street is too prominent and it won't stick. Taking Eyre Square park in Galway as an example, it was renamed to Kennedy Park at some point, maybe after JFKs visit, and I don't think I've heard anyone use the name. It's still Eyre Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

I will never call it anything but William Street ......

But the pressure may also come on to name it Hillary Clinton street or maybe Donald Trump street ..... who knows !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Caesars Palace?

Madison Square Garden??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This reminds me of the time one of our councilors wanted to put all city's street name signs up in English and Polish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bazz26 wrote: »
    This reminds me of the time one of our councilors wanted to put all city's street name signs up in English and Polish.

And African! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

bazz26 wrote: »

I think it was just the Mayor at the time (Ginger McLoughlin).

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/132615/Mayor-of-Limerick-defends-proposals-to.html

L.T.P. wrote: »
    Caesars Palace?

Madison Square Garden??

????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Should call it reebok street , don't mind these pure ould names , the only ones going up and down it are pure sham'sssss

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

O Ceallaigh just has a republican agenda. He wants a street named after Bobby Sands and a statue in the station of Con Colbert...even though the station was named after him in 1966.

They should rename it Jerry McCabe street. Would councillor O Ceallaigh go along with that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Apocalypse Now St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Gowl Avenue

149 Boulevard

Advertisement