Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying a PC

Options
  • 30-05-2016 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a good workhorse of a PC - any and all advice appreciated!

I'm looking at either building my own, buying a custom build or buying a second hand build. Would entertain buying a stock computer but it doesn't seem to be the best option

I like the idea of buying a second hand build as it I think it would give me the best bang for buck and I can just plug in and go - but I don't know if this is a good idea or not. I don't mind paying for the convenience of someone doing that for me but I will build myself if it makes a significant difference

1. What is your budget? ~€700 but would I'm more concerned with value than actual price. If I can get something significantly better, at a small price increase, I would happily stretch

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? I'd like to be able to play games like FIFA and GTA V etc but have no real desire to play at high settings. Must be able to handle things like Photoshop or have many programs running at once. Reliability and life span would be of higher priority

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes..

5a. If yes, what size do you need? I think for most usage (games, movies or just browsing from the couch) I'd prefer to connect to the TV but I would still like a monitor for convenience, so 22" I think?

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard and mouse

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Not sure what it is

8. How can you pay? Cash/Card

9. When are you purchasing? As soon as possible

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Dublin

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement