Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marissa Nadler - Button Factory 28/05 - :(

Options
  • 30-05-2016 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone else go to the Marissa Nadler gig on Saturday night ? Been waiting to see her for an age live and it was somewhat of a disaster... Firstly two of my friends backed out as they read online on her social media that evening that there were only a handful of tickets left on the door... and as they couldn't get there till around 9 presumed it wasn't worth the trip from Balbriggan, Well that's funny as I was in town anyway I decided to chance it after a change of heart.

I paid in on the door shortly after she came on stage and to my great surprise I counted 45-50 people in a venue that holds what about 750 ? Terrible atmosphere. Her music would be more reverentially appreciated then enthusiastically applauded and this made for a strange evening. It seemed to unnerve the artist also who halfway through told us she was changing the set, dispensed with her not very good band and played the remainder of the gig just her and guitar save for the one song encore which I think the audience politely clapped for out of politeness itself rather then wanting another song.

What sort of moron books venues for an artist like this or at the very least realizes at some point leading up to it that they sold 30 tickets or whatever. Common sense would dictate that you are not going to get a couple of hundred walk ups.

It only really leads to a terrible experience for artist and audience. Whats more is why give the BS about limited tickets on the door when the opposite was known to be true ? Why not give a way a few tickets on social media to try and make some sort of atmosphere at the very least the extra people might buy a few pints and a CD or two.

Also I noticed all reference to the gig gone from the facebook of the artist and I cannot find it either mentioned by the promoter or venue.. so a night to forget for everyone it seems.... conveniently

It isn't the first time this has happened in the Button factory either where only a slightly larger audience turned up for the last Great Lake Swimmers show... I have seen those guys tear up packed venues all over Europe that were of an appropriate size for the band...Ok they might have expected more people and there were some other good gigs on this weekend but the button factory... hmmm someone needs new career..

Disappointed of Curved St...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

You can make out on Twitter who was organising it. You could fire them a tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I found out a while ago and sent a polite email of which I can probably be assured of a less then polite **** off and thanks for your email reply if I do get one.. but shall see. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

Strumms wrote: »
    I found out a while ago and sent a polite email of which I can probably be assured of a less then polite **** off and thanks for your email reply if I do get one.. but shall see. Cheers.

Ah you'd never know. There's probably afair enough reason why it all happened as it did, and maybe they'll tell ya.

Better luck with your next gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

I expected to see tables and chairs out for this concert and was surprised to see them warning of limited ticket availability. We arrived at 9 and missed the support act. POD appear incapable of doing any promotion for the non dance acts that they bring over. Her performance was fine considering the quiet crowd

Peter File wrote: »
    I expected to see tables and chairs out for this concert and was surprised to see them warning of limited ticket availability. We arrived at 9 and missed the support act. POD appear incapable of doing any promotion for the non dance acts that they bring over. Her performance was fine considering the quiet crowd

Good point. Having some idea a day or two before the show of the sparse audience why did they not organize the venue (which they also run if i'm not mistaken) to make it more intimate by doing as you suggest.. the tables and chairs and it would have also encouraged people to move closer to the stage and engage with the artist a bit more.

The limited tickets thing.. was that also put out by the promoter also as well as the artist ? Ridiculous if the case..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Strumms wrote: »
    Good point. Having some idea a day or two before the show of the sparse audience why did they not organize the venue (which they also run if i'm not mistaken) to make it more intimate by doing as you suggest.. the tables and chairs and it would have also encouraged people to move closer to the stage and engage with the artist a bit more.

The limited tickets thing.. was that also put out by the promoter also as well as the artist ? Ridiculous if the case..

The button factory FB page

Button Factory at Button Factory.
    26 May at 08:36 ·
    POD Presents Marissa Nadler this Saturday with her band live at the Button Factory. Support on the night from Wrekmeister Harmonies. Limited tickets available from Ticketmaster:
    http://www.ticketmaster.ie/The-Button-Factory-tick…/…/198299

f*ckin hell that's really ridiculous.. I'll be keeping a closer eye on any POD events going forward that I might be interested in...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Sorry to bump this, I was among the 45-50 people at this gig, couldn't reply at the time as I didn't have an account then!

It was without doubt the strangest gig I've ever been at, she still put in a good performance but you could tell she was extremely disconcerted by the small crowd. Also the change to the "intimate" set meant she didn't play some songs off the new album that I was really looking forward to hearing, such as Janie in love.

She was hanging about for a bit afterwards so met her briefly, she seemed genuinely gutted. Doubt we'll see her back here again :(

I sent POD a rather polite but constructive email afterwards but there was no reply forthcoming so that is probably indicative of how much that give a sh t... that and the lack of interaction with customers on their various social media sites also... I'll be keeping an eye on any gigs promoted by them going forward really and be pretty picky if I can be bothered at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭irishbigfoot

Bumping an old thread I know but Marissa is on tour again and surprise surprise no Dublin! I was at this gig and it was definitely mishandled by POD. I would imagine her 2014 gig in the Button Factory was also 'promoted' by them as it was also a little sparse although not as bad as this one.

Unfortunately it wasn't my first bad experience from POD- there was a gig for William Fitzsimmons in Crawdaddy (or Chocolate whatever) that I only found out the day of the gig. There hadn't been so much as a peep from POD and just happened to see a Facebook post from the artist himself that he was in town.

Have flung a few messages to her social media accounts in the hope that I can get the agent to have a look at the prospect of coming back...and using a different promoter!

• Advertisement
Advertisement