Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for shipping personal effects overseas

Options
  • 30-05-2016 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi there - my wife and I are moving to the USA in a month. We've a fair old amount of stuff to move over, and bringing it as extra baggage on the plane is looking to be costly in the extreme. As most of the stuff is non-urgent, I thought shipping it might be a lot cheaper. I'd really appreciate your thoughts and recommendations on decent companies who do this at a competitive price. I'm based in Cork. Cheers.

Edit:
    So far I've gotten a few quotes. Unpack.ie come in about €650 for minimum 1CBM (about three dishwashers full in terms of space), shipped to a unit in San Francisco and we pick up ourselves.
    MoveHub.com are door to door at $4.90 pero kilo plus $40 once off handling fee.
    Ironically An Post seem to be best price (!) at 80 including insurance for about 22kg.
    All recommendations or alternatives welcome. Bringing a second bag on Virgin Atlantic flight is €90, a third extra is €170(!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Registered Users Posts: 42 caveatemptor1

Hi There,
    We moved from Cork to Boston in April and used Careline International as organised by my husbands company. We moved 10 boxes plus some artwork. I cant tell you what it cost as it all went through my husbands company but I can tell you its a SLOW process. We shipped everything at the beginning of February and it didnt arrive here until the end of May, 13 weeks later. So be prepared for that and take everything you might need urgently with you!
    On the flip side, I shipped an individual 20kg box from Ireland with An Post on 27th March and it Arrived in Boston the following week so if you only have a couple of boxes, this might be the way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭wearyexplorer

Thanks.I went with an Post in the end to ship three large (20kg) boxes (their max) and three boxes of books. Each large box cost about 80 euro with (pathetic) insurance and should arrive in a week. The books were 5kg each and cost 30 with no insurance (special book rate from an Post though you do need to leave some sort of way for customs to look in for books only so I carved small slott on their advice and taped over with transparent tape). An Post slightly cheaper book rates for 3kg and 4kg btw. They could take many weeks to arrive though so that's the downside.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Hope above of use to someone. It's an expensive business no matter what option.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pilgrim pat

hi i am looking to ship some furniture and tools to sweden i had qoutes for a container 6000 that s to much

Advertisement