Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

well...how bad is your sunburn

• 30-05-2016 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

I'm lying here like a big stupid lobster....soooooo not a good look....when will I ever learn...don't forget the sunscreen out there kids...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

No sunscreen and no sunburns :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

SPF15 every day, topped up with higher on days like today :)

I am still pale and interesting, rather then radiation red :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

Covered in freckles...still hoping they all join together and then I'll have that bronzed look...oh yeah ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

It's space borne, carcinogenic radiation. Why would you sit out in it?

factor 50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Work in an office with no windows, haven't seen much of the sun never mind a chance to be out in it. Still Irish pasty white for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Rarely outside in sun. I'm really really really fair skinned (though my hair is crazy dark brown) so don't deal with the heat very well. No sunburn for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Can't stand full on sun. I love sunny days and the sunshine that brings out the best in us, but I don't like the sweaty feeling! Must be getting old.

I love sitting under a big umbrella, or in the shade. Just mad me I suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

bluewolf wrote: »
    factor 50

Then ya get brittle bones apparently. We all need at least 15 minutes a day of full on sunshine without any factors to protect our hips and knees.

I don't like sitting in the sun, as in roasting on a spit, so I get my Vitamin D by walking around I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Was it that nice? Had a busy day, didn't really notice. Got a bit of colour on the noggin yesterday in croker alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm a bronzed Adonis. Bog men don't burn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

gifted wrote:
    Covered in freckles...still hoping they all join together and then I'll have that bronzed look...oh yeah ...

Same ..
    Factor 40 today in the playground with the younger kids.. I'm burned.. was only out for 2 hours.. feckin Sun.
    Little known fact.. vitamin D from sunshine needs at least 24 hours to absorb into your system... You lie out then shower.. it's gone... This is one way a cat absorbs vitamin D..they lick it in... So folks .. always lick yourself after sunbathing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A dreaded sunny day..so I meet you at the cemetery gates..

actually I did had a pint or two outside the gravediggers yesterday, nose a bit sunburdned but a great afternoon.. beat being stuck in traffic thats for sure..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭lc180

Factor 50 they said....
    Be grand they said....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I only want my dose of Vitamin D. The rest of the sun can shag off. :D

Work in an office with no windows, haven't seen much of the sun never mind a chance to be out in it. Still Irish pasty white for the time being.

Work in a place with no windows too. I love the sun but I've been working all weekend till late every evening and have seen none of it :(

I'm off tomorrow so it better be as nice as today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭matchthis

Same every year. Back of my neck gets a great colour, everything else is like the stay puft marshmallow man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Was wearing my cardigan. Didn't burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Disgruntled Badger

Good rule of thumb. White on the outside, red on the inside. any reversal of this tends to spell a problem I find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I had factor 30 on and went for a long walk on the beach. I'm a golden colour now. I love it. Going back tomorrow for even more. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭septictank

Pat spillane sun tan for me, I look like a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

I'm hitting a solid 8/9 today....lobstered...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Got a nice tan going on from sunbathing since the sun arrived last week.

Haven't even bought sun lotion :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I must admit that I have a slightly burned back. It does not look burned but feels dry and itchy. (No, its not dirty!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

No sunburn here but I think I broke my baby toe wearing flip flops. Walked into a picnic table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Was at the beach over the weekend so got a good enough colour. Little bit sunburned alright on my shoulders even though I had factor 30 on but it's fine now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I work outdoors so this is glorious weather for me! Factor 20 does the job. Back of my shoulders are burnt because i couldn't reach them and no one else was around to put it on for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

OP, aloe vera is great for sunburn. If you have some rubbed over your skin by a bikini-clad blonde lass, while eating ice-cream, you should feel much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

I heard on the radio that we only get 60 days of sunshine a year on average in Ireland we had already had 15 on that day so only 45 left.
    I am a nice toasty brown and ready to punch anyone in the face that complains about the heat!
    I was born in the wrong country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It seems to be only Irish people who seem to find it normal and acceptable to get sunburnt or to try and go brown. Really is wrong, especially where kids are concerned,

Sunburn is damaged skin and should be prevented at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think it is (thankfully) becoming a bit of a taboo to be flauting your sunburnt self. Was in a long queue for the ladies loo's over the weekend and a girl walked by with her arm scalded from sunburn. The looks and mutterings from others in the queue, along the lines of it's a disgrace to let yourself get that badly burnt. People were genuinely shocked that someone could get that badly sunburnt nowadays, especially when you can pick up suncream so cheap in Lidl or Aldi, I don't think there's any excuse for it now.

My son got sunburnt and blistered on his feet a few years ago on holidays, he was in and out of the pool x 1000 and I never thought to reapply suncream to the tops of his feet and his toes. I literally felt like the worst mother ever!

Sporting a nice colour at the moment courtesy of spf 20, the bog and some running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    The looks and mutterings from others in the queue, along the lines of it's a disgrace to let yourself get that badly burnt.

People are busy bodies. That's all I took from that.

And I say that as someone whose friend has been battling skin cancer for the past five years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

At least we don't wrinkle up like old prunes in old age like the old women in Spain :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Lackey wrote: »
    I heard on the radio that we only get 60 days of sunshine a year on average in Ireland we had already had 15 on that day so only 45 left.
    I am a nice toasty brown and ready to punch anyone in the face that complains about the heat!
    I was born in the wrong country

The sun shines here most days in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I tend to only have 2 colours; Casper-white and Lobster-red

Fortunately, after this weekend at a festival I coated myself enough factor 90,000 sunscreen and got a nice ol' brown colour for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Im fine. I didn't get over-exited at the appearance of the large glowing sphere in the sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

"This will be a beautiful tan tomorrow"

said no ginger ever...

I've just got tons more freckles. I wear minimum factor 30 on the bod and factor 50 on the face but there's freckles just errywhere. I really love them though.

I got a little bit of sunburn when I was away a couple of weeks ago, I had hitched my skirt right up to my thighs while sitting out and obviously missed a little bit of where I applied cream and so the very tip tops of my thighs were red.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Little bit red on my back as I was too busy applying sunscreen to the kids and left myself till last.
    Not a fan of the sun/heat in general and am usually expert at avoidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I normally use factor 50 (or 30 depending on whatever I have in the house).
    Was while sunny then had a rainy day. The next day looked very cold and rainy so went without suncream. Within an hour the sun came out. Back of my neck was very badly burnt and some on the collar bones.
    I really detest getting sun burnt because I am very fair skinned and overly scared of skin cancer :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I burn like.... something that burns really easily. I haven't got too badly burned this year yet, mostly through not being out in it too much, but did get a little burned last night playing soccer from half eight with no sunscreen.

I normally wear factor 60 on holiday! :eek: The kids stuff. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

murpho999 wrote: »
    It seems to be only Irish people who seem to find it normal and acceptable to get sunburnt or to try and go brown. Really is wrong, especially where kids are concerned,

Sunburn is damaged skin and should be prevented at all costs.

Finally someone with a bit of sense.

If I ever had a kid, I'd make sure they wore sunscreen daily. You can get very clear SPF30 nowadays for the face and not look like a ghost. If you protect your skin early you'll reduce the aging process.

Plus if you get burnt continuously you could end up with skin conditions like hyperpigmentation, acne, rosescea, seberroric dermatitis, psoriasis etc.. Look at older men who never adhered to sunsafety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Finally someone with a bit of sense.

If I ever had a kid, I'd make sure they wore sunscreen daily. You can get very clear SPF30 nowadays for the face and not look like a ghost. If you protect your skin early you'll reduce the aging process.

Plus if you get burnt continuously you could end up with skin conditions like hyperpigmentation, acne, rosescea, seberroric dermatitis, psoriasis etc.. Look at older men who never adhered to sunsafety

There's a balance. It's important to allow kids to get some sun and adults too. Vitamin d deficiency is pretty common in Ireland and the UK and is responsible for lots of health problems, including different types of cancer.

I live in a very hot sunny climate. If my daughter is out during the afternoon she wears factor 50 and a hat. Morning and evenings/late afternoon I don't bother with it. She's never been sunburned. Neither have I for years, I don't understand how some peoole manage to let themselves burn every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I just get a tan. But don't stay out all day in the sun. It's asking for trouble. Everyone can get sunburn, not just pale Irish folk.

Irish_rat wrote: »

.....really?

The sun actually helps with dermatitis, acne and psoriasis.

They actually use phototherapy to treat certain skin conditions which are concentrated UVB rays.

Some skin conditions will in fact require that you do not wear SPF50 because the additional chemicals for the extra 1% protection are not worth the skin irritation and inflammation.

I am a massive advocate of taking care of your skin and any child of mine will be as pale and interesting on the day of their 18th birthday as they were they day they popped out but let's use facts to deter people from getting burned eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

I don't really burn, I just go brown. Been in Italy and France in the heights of summer and have never got burnt. Somehow I manage to skip the whole glowing red, peeling skin thing inbetween being white and being brown. I'm fairly sallow skinned anyways, so genetics I guess. Funnily enough its not something I care about or try to achieve either way. Wheather I'm white or brown means feck all to me.

Plus my wife hates my guts (even more than normally) right now as she gets freckles and burnt under a strong light bulb. I've been getting dirty looks all weeks while she mutters about my big thick brown feckin head...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I just get a tan. But don't stay out all day in the sun. It's asking for trouble. Everyone can get sunburn, not just pale Irish folk.

Even blacks can get sunburn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Even blacks can get sunburn.
    Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Story Bud? wrote: »
    .....really?

The sun actually helps with dermatitis, acne and psoriasis.

They actually use phototherapy to treat certain skin conditions which are concentrated UVB rays.

Some skin conditions will in fact require that you do not wear SPF50 because the additional chemicals for the extra 1% protection are not worth the skin irritation and inflammation.

I am a massive advocate of taking care of your skin and any child of mine will be as pale and interesting on the day of their 18th birthday as they were they day they popped out but let's use facts to deter people from getting burned eh?

I never said SPF50, that is probably overdoing it unless you're sunbathing all day. plus most of those are ghost looking white paste. A little sun is okay maybe 10-15 mins a day without spf.

Apologies if I was over the top. My post was generally saying its good to look after ones skin. We don't have an incredibly harsh climate like other countries but one application of a good clear UVA/UVB every morning is very beneficial in the long run.

I think we should be more aware of sun damage (not sunburn) over time especially men who are less likely to protect themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Anyone ever get PMLE?

Bit of background: I'm not swarthy but I'm definitely not pale and would have taken the sun grand my whole life and with proper protection always got a nice tan and the odd time slightly burnt. So last week was Bank Holiday in the north and with the sun splitting the stones I lay out for a bit. That night I get the most annoying itch on my back and the following morning find hundreds upon hundreds of small itchy bumps on my back. For the following 5/6 days I have the most irritating itch on my back from these things and only in the last day or so theyve cleared up a bit. They also started to spread a tiny bit to my chest and neck but nowhere near as bad as my back. Haven't really had the chance to get any sun since but I'll be distraught if I have to spend the rest of my life in the shade :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement