Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

well...how bad is your sunburn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Minimum peeling *woot* *woot*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Forget SPF50, incase yourself in carbonite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Very badly burnt a few years ago while living abroad and very stupid. Since then my skin does not burn and takes weeks to tan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I don't burn easily. A few days in the sun and I'd be getting turned away from pubs in Temple Bar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

I think I'm ''overly tanned''(only in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Looks likes day for a top up......

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Back to a solid 8 now...gonna be lashing on the sunscreen later.....careful out there now.......

I'd burn in 5 mins so factor 50 all the way
    Still got a tiny bit of colour on Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

UVB rays cause you to burn.

UVA rays don't necessarily burn your skin but are cancer causing.

I foolishly got burnt on Saturday. It was a really dull overcast day, always with the threat of rain. I didn't put sunscreen on and was out working on my car for most of the day. Felt the heat that night and realised I was pretty red. Very stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I was working in the garden yesterday evening. No burn anywhere but on the top of my head. Did not notice it until I hopped in the shower....OOowwwww.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Nothing like a bit of peeling your skin after your sunburn :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

With culchie blood in me, you can imagine what my skin is like....

Very well tanned :D

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Nothing like a bit of peeling your skin after your sunburn :pac:

Aw mank!

I'm lashing on the aloe Vera in the hope I can avoid peeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Plenty of opportunity for a nice big sunburn today :-P

I only had factor 50 and wanted 30. I forgot to get it in Aldi so went to Dunnes.

Nivea and Garnier are both only 3 star UVA at 4 times the price :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I've got a belt of a tarbrush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

0.0 here.. spend my day in the office, the commute in the car and the evening on the couch, Sun can't get me!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

No burn. No tan. Few freckles is all.

I have pale celtic skin. I like to keep it that way.

I've gotten burned very bad in the past its just not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Got a bit of a tan today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

Sunbeds changed everything for Irish people, no longer do many of us look like plebs in the sun, we are golden gods.

• Advertisement

Sunbeds changed everything for Irish people, no longer do many of us look like plebs in the sun, we are golden gods. People who would have sported ludicrous tans, really tanned arms and faces but milk bottle torsos and upper body no longer have to look rediculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I dunno, but each to their own I suppose.

I have sallow skin and tan easily (when I was younger), must be the Spanish Armada!

But nowadays I really just can't take being in full sun for more than five minutes!

I go abroad in April and October and the weather is lovely, but not hot. Perfect.

The heat of it all, the sizzling glow (sweating!) is just so uncomfortable, in fact it's bloody torture!

At home I have blackout blinds, they were down all day at the back of the house where the sun always shines all bloody day, left the windows open on the cool side of the house. Sat under the brolly.

I do what our continental cousins do. They never fry themselves up, and stay in the shade. No wonder they only go out about 11oc at night, it cools down a bit then.

I know we don't get many really hot days, but today and yesterday were two of them!, into the bunker I went, and came out about 8 oc. Balmy sitting in the back garden with a nice chilled bottle of wine. Bliss, and no sweating or burning.

Sad or wha?

I saw a group of Spanish kids marching around Cherrywood(South Dublin) with umbrellas, now either they are mocking our heatwave or they just don't deal with the sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Arms, neck, shoulders and legs from the knees down are burnt to a crisp. I was on the beach in Howth today for 4 hours without any sun cream on. Work tomorrow (im a chef) is going to be fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

I try to avoid the sun and stay in from it as much as I can. I'm not able for the sun at all. I needed a few things at the shop today so I got up early and went at 8 am before the heat set in. If I need to go out in it, I usually wear a factor 50. Expect today, I couldn't find my factor 50, so had to do with a 30. I also wear a sun hat too. I wear beach wrap as well over my shoulders, draping down over my arms. I need to mind my skin in the sun because I am covered in moles and my doctor warned me to mind myself in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭david65

I dunno, but each to their own I suppose.

I have sallow skin and tan easily (when I was younger), must be the Spanish Armada!

But nowadays I really just can't take being in full sun for more than five minutes!

I go abroad in April and October and the weather is lovely, but not hot. Perfect.

The heat of it all, the sizzling glow (sweating!) is just so uncomfortable, in fact it's bloody torture!

At home I have blackout blinds, they were down all day at the back of the house where the sun always shines all bloody day, left the windows open on the cool side of the house. Sat under the brolly.

I do what our continental cousins do. They never fry themselves up, and stay in the shade. No wonder they only go out about 11oc at night, it cools down a bit then.

I know we don't get many really hot days, but today and yesterday were two of them!, into the bunker I went, and came out about 8 oc. Balmy sitting in the back garden with a nice chilled bottle of wine. Bliss, and no sweating or burning.

Sad or wha?

Sad no! I do the same thing- out in the garden after it cools down and keep away from the sun during the heat of the day. You are right our continental cousins have it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

What our continental cousins have, is enough sunshine to mean they don't look at every sunny day as if it'll be their last chance to ever get a bit of colour ever again. Kind of like their licensing laws. They don't binge drink to the same degree as us because they know they can get alcohol at any time of the day or night and from anywhere they want. Similarly they don't binge sunbathe like us.

david65 wrote: »
    Sad no! I do the same thing- out in the garden after it cools down and keep away from the sun during the heat of the day. You are right our continental cousins have it right.

I just can't cope with intense heat anymore so I don't bother!

The thoughts of sitting on a sunbed in 35degrees of sizzling heat really freaks me out now. The sweat dripping down and all that. I know you can just dive into the pool or the sea, but it just seems like too much hard work now!

You would never see the Spanish out sunbathing. They gather on the beach about 9 or ten o'clock on the balmy nights - kids, grannies the lot, and have a blast. That's the way to do it when it's roasting during the day.

But as I said, some people love turning on the spit and roasting themselves. Only for the lovely tan to be gone in a week when ya get home. Some fekkin torture for nothing that is!

Calibos wrote: »
    What our continental cousins have, is enough sunshine to mean they don't look at every sunny day as if it'll be their last chance to ever get a bit of colour ever again. Kind of like their licensing laws. They don't binge drink to the same degree as us because they know they can get alcohol at any time of the day or night and from anywhere they want. Similarly they don't binge sunbathe like us.

Getting a colour is so passe now. You'll get skin cancer. White is good.

I agree about the procurement of alcohol though. Maybe tell the Minister for Health about this wonderful discovery to stop binge drinking here.

I doubt he'll be able to help WRT the sunshine though.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I try to stay in the shade as best I can.

• Advertisement

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    I try to stay in the shade as best I can.

Clever person.

Dracula had the right idea ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

The most UV my skin has had this summer has been when I've been getting my nails done. Must be the only person with no colour at all, and not burned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

Calibos wrote: »

In fairness I think the only difference is that we make a concerted effort to get the sun when its sunny, like you say they don't sunbathe like us, but they do value a tan and go out of their way to tan as well, for instance I just saw a video of Sergio Ramos flaked out under the scorching sun working on a tan listening to some Nicky Jam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

No burn, but i'm so brown now i'm afraid to go out in public in case someone on facefook accuses me of being a racist...

Satriale wrote: »
    No burn, but i'm so brown now i'm afraid to go out in public in case someone on facefook accuses me of being a racist...

No the funniest cope I've heard from pale Irish is complaints about others looking ''too tanned''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

I'm lying here like a big stupid lobster....soooooo not a good look....when will I ever learn...don't forget the sunscreen out there kids...

Ah ya big fecken eejit cha!......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I try to avoid the sun and stay in from it as much as I can. I'm not able for the sun at all. I needed a few things at the shop today so I got up early and went at 8 am before the heat set in. If I need to go out in it, I usually wear a factor 50. Expect today, I couldn't find my factor 50, so had to do with a 30. I also wear a sun hat too. I wear beach wrap as well over my shoulders, draping down over my arms. I need to mind my skin in the sun because I am covered in moles and my doctor warned me to mind myself in the sun.

You should be okay with factor 30. There is little difference between SPF30 and 50. Going too high will give a paste look.

But I agree stay out of it, not worth it in the long run. I developed skin problems from way too much sun exposure a few years ago, now I swear by SPF daily and keep in the shade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Put loads of sunscreen on, it works wonders. It makes a hell of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

The sun was really hot today. I'm a bit red but wouldn't over expose my skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

BabyE wrote: »
    I saw a group of Spanish kids marching around Cherrywood(South Dublin) with umbrellas, now either they are mocking our heatwave or they just don't deal with the sun.

That's quite common here in Oz, people use an umbrella to keep the sun off them.

That's quite common here in Oz, people use an umbrella to keep the sun off them.

Wouldn't have thought the sun here would be a big deal for them but like has been said our dearth of sun means our relationship with it is a bit different to European southerners.
    In other places like southern europe, california, and anywhere else the sun shines regularly you would never ever ever see people seeking the sun while eating or drinking for instance. Take a trip into town yesterday and you would be sure to see people sitting out in clear view of the sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Wouldn't have thought the sun here would be a big deal for them but like has been said our dearth of sun means our relationship with it is a bit different to European southerners.
    In other places like southern europe, california, and anywhere else the sun shines regularly you would never ever ever see people seeking the sun while eating or drinking for instance. Take a trip into town yesterday and you would be sure to see people sitting out in clear view of the sun.

It's not a question of being a bid deal or being used to it. It's the same sun here as they get in Spain. :-)
    It's a question of the sun actually burns you and burnt skin has no positives and can lead to skin cancer.

We in Ireland don't seem to grasp that and think we should soak it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I got no sunburn, used factor 50+ and on hot days I try to avoid the sun in the middle of day.
    Do stuff in the morning or evening time.

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's not a question of being a bid deal or being used to it. It's the same sun here as they get in Spain. :-)
    It's a question of the sun actually burns you and burnt skin has no positives and can lead to skin cancer.

We in Ireland don't seem to grasp that and think we should soak it up.

Not buying this,many Spanish and Italians only look different to northern Europeans because of the sun they get, hence giving them tan skin, you don't get skin like that without hours out in the sun. If a Spaniard avoids the sun, they will be as pale as an Irishman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I have been working today in the home office, with the window open. Have just noticed a nice red patch on the back of the left arm.
    The Sun burn Gods have finally gotten me.....bastards!

Not buying this,many Spanish and Italians only look different to northern Europeans because of the sun they get, hence giving them tan skin, you don't get skin like that without hours out in the sun. If a Spaniard avoids the sun, they will be as pale as an Irishman.

Have you never seen how Spanish people are naturally dark.

My wife is half Spanish and half Dutch. She grew up in less sunny Netherlands but is definitely darker than the average Dutch or Irish person.

Some are, but I've seen Brits and French with similar complexions, a lot just have tanned white skin. I'm using the Spanish football team as an example but the likes of Ramos, Pique, Azpilicueta, De Gea(probably doesn't count, he's very fair) Alba, Koke, Fabregas, Iniesta(again extremely pale for a Spaniard) Morata etc are just white with tans, I do know there is a type of Spanish skin tone that is far darker.

Some are, but I've seen Brits and French with similar complexions, a lot just have tanned white skin. I'm using the Spanish football team as an example but the likes of Ramos, Pique, Azpilicueta, De Gea(probably doesn't count, he's very fair) Alba, Koke, Fabregas, Iniesta(again extremely pale for a Spaniard) Morata etc are just white with tans, I do know there is a type of Spanish skin tone that is far darker.

All depends what part of Spain they are originally from. Northern Spain people can be very white.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Boardz Fiend

cbyrd wrote: »
    Same ..
    Factor 40 today in the playground with the younger kids.. I'm burned.. was only out for 2 hours.. feckin Sun.
    Little known fact.. vitamin D from sunshine needs at least 24 hours to absorb into your system... You lie out then shower.. it's gone... This is one way a cat absorbs vitamin D..they lick it in... So folks .. always lick yourself after sunbathing :D

Thats mad Ted, I never knew that fact about Vit D taking 24hrs to absorb. Learn something new every day :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement