Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

low flying planes Dublin tonight

Options
  • 30-05-2016 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Lot of planes over the Artane Beaumont tonight - anyone know why ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The approach for runway 34 takes aircraft directly over that area... hardly a new thing, are you new to the area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

Strumms wrote: »
    The approach for runway 34 takes aircraft directly over that area... hardly a new thing, are you new to the area ?

Here since 1988 tonight there planes flying over the Whithorn - elm mount area every 5 mins think I would have noticed this before !!

you need to look up a little more often :) its very very regular especially this time of year when they switch to this runway to facilitate maintenance on the main runway which has been ongoing at night on and off since April now... they literally fly right over my girlfriends house and she lives right beside Beaumont Hospital not far from you at all.. I work in the airport and dont live too far away myself and I can tell you this is not unusual at all...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

rilly99 wrote: »
    Here since 1988 tonight there planes flying over the Whithorn - elm mount area every 5 mins think I would have noticed this before !!

Would it be because you might have the windows open on a warm night like tonight that you're only noticing now?

I grew up on Elm Mount Rd. directly under the flight path from '73 and it's regular enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

Strumms wrote: »
    you need to look up a little more often :) its very very regular especially this time of year when they switch to this runway to facilitate maintenance on the main runway which has been ongoing at night on and off since April now... they literally fly right over my girlfriends house and she lives right beside Beaumont Hospital not far from you at all.. I work in the airport and dont live to far away myself and I can tell you this is not unusual at all...

Thanks you answers my question - it's a switch to facilitate maintenance on and off since April - maybe the window is bit wider open due to warm weather - actually though it was the cop chopper originally - any ways cheers for that

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I thought I was going nuts, I've noticed this when staying in Artane, and when staying in Edenmore, in the last week or so. Last night it seemed like they went on really late and started really early too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Been the same over Clontarf last couple of days also... not great timing with the hot weather and open windows...

According to Dublin Airport website, the works should have been finished last Saturday.
    https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/runway-maintenance

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

That is true works should be finished... No idea what the craic is maybe delayed by weather or by some other other factor. The only other reason that runway is used in the main is if their are crosswinds affecting the other runway or dual runway ops that happen in the early hours of the morning when there is a heavy volume of air traffic to depart in the first wave and the early morning in the main.. transatlantic arrivals... It will be busier now also seeing as the summer schedule is in full swing.. Suppose anyone with concerns should contact the DAA and see whats happening..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I used to live in Royal Oak, Santry and when 34 was in use they would fly directly over the house. Some of my neighbours claimed they'd had tiles removed from their roof due to the vortices (the planes would be pretty low at that point, some 2km from the start of the runway).

Every 2-3 mins on a Sunday morning the TV would be drowned out (even with the windows closed). Good times. Not.

Edit : Having googled the typical descent angle of a plane (3 - 3.5 degrees) then at 2km from the runway, it is only between 104 and 122m up.

I remember in the 80's and the old runway, we were 4kms from the airport and directly under the flight path. This was before double glazing was common and when the aircraft were taking off in particular the place literally shook, well the window did haha. This was also before noise abatement and restrictions were as they are now... all those old aircraft were bone shakers when it came to noise. Luckily the airport was less busy back then. Still I'd prefer it as it is now busier but more noise regs and quieter aircraft.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Can't say I've particularly noticed it being any worse than normal and I'd also be in the path for 34.

Right now the fog horns are louder.

Advertisement