Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees in Phoenix Park

Options
  • 31-05-2016 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭

Noticed a good number of trees felled in the park - I cycle in and out to the city along Chesterfield avenue. It's a shame to see them go - some were obviously storm damaged and others presumably diseased. Anyone shed any light?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There was an issue with bleeding canker a couple of years ago, not sure if that's still a problem. I know they started a pretty big replanting scheme, including trees resistant to the likes of canker and dutch elm disease, maybe it's a continuation of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There was an issue with bleeding canker a couple of years ago, not sure if that's still a problem. I know they started a pretty big replanting scheme, including trees resistant to the likes of canker and dutch elm disease, maybe it's a continuation of that?

Yeah I'm no tree expert, but the stumps left some look rotted to me. A pity, as some really big ones taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

New York, LA , and many other US cities have implemented a "1 million trees" project.

Would dearly love to see even a fraction of this undertaken throughout Ireland. Our cities and towns are fairly baron. Apart from Kerry which does well.

I had sent on the link to Dublin city council. I await a response six months later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Noticed a good number of trees felled in the park - I cycle in and out to the city along Chesterfield avenue. It's a shame to see them go - some were obviously storm damaged and others presumably diseased. Anyone shed any light?

I'm not being an ass, but have you ever stopped a ranger to ask?.

I've spoken to many of them over the years and they're a mine of information about the park, seriously try get talking to one of them ~ and get the right one and you're in for an education!.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'm not being an ass, but have you ever stopped a ranger to ask?.

I've spoken to many of them over the years and they're a mine of information about the park, seriously try get talking to one of them ~ and get the right one and you're in for an education!.

Yeah that's a fair point. There was one being shredded this evening just after the us ambassadors heading towards castleknock. I was on a mission to collect my son, but may take a mosey down when I have a bit of spare time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Chinasea wrote: »
    New York, LA , and many other US cities have implemented a "1 million trees" project.

Would dearly love to see even a fraction of this undertaken throughout Ireland. Our cities and towns are fairly baron. Apart from Kerry which does well.

I had sent on the link to Dublin city council. I await a response six months later.

You mean this?

http://www.onemilliontreesinoneday.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

wyndham wrote: »

Thank you for this. I need to have a good read. Have signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

WP_20160531_19_07_02_Pro_zpsrmsl6cno.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

They've been ripping out Horse Chestnuts all over the park. Presumably because of Canker. But I noticed the two most recent trees on Chesterfield Avenue which were shredded were Beech.

Advertisement