Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera back in 19th century

Options
  • 31-05-2016 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Hi history buffs i need a favour, I have a photo on my site and its the famine. The pic is titled 1870 but I have someone telling me it's not 1800s because cameras were never invented. so to close an argument 2 questions

1: Anyone know thew true year of this photo:2zqhnpw.jpg

2: When were the first cameras used in:

A) Ireland/UK

B) The world

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera

As for the photograph - anytime from mid-19th century through to 1900 era - approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cameras were common, if extremely expensive, by 1870. You are never going to find out when precisely unless you find the actual original and it has a date on it, though.

A lot of imaging related technology is rather older than people imagine - photography, fax machines, cinema, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

I'm think I've seen that picture before. If it's what I'm thinking of it's part of a larger image and it dates from the Land War and depicts a family being evicted.

Here's a link for some photos from the same period I came across while googling for it, the level of detail is pretty amazing...
    http://mashable.com/2016/04/03/ireland-evictions/#VeytoHrRPkq4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Superb photos of a sad era, and the OP's question answered, well done Arsemageddon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

I'm think I've seen that picture before. If it's what I'm thinking of it's part of a larger image and it dates from the Land War and depicts a family being evicted.

Here's a link for some photos from the same period I came across while googling for it, the level of detail is pretty amazing...

Amazing photos thank you very much for the help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

It's the same lady in the Gweedore photograph.

Exceptional quality photographs bursting with socio-economic insight. Well done on finding them. The condition of so many of those homes as recently as the 1880s (my own grandmother was born in 1897) defy belief like this one in Gaoth Dobhair, c. 1887. Real, raw poverty. The defences on the Land League house in Mitchelstown make me wonder who was going to attack them and how those branches in the window would actually defend them. Are the four men at the back left of this photo (Galway, 1888) with Parachute Regiment-style hats and white bags medical personnel of some sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

It is interesting that there was a DELARUE occupier in Mitchelstown, and that a doctor (Tully) would be evicted in Woodford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Exceptional quality photographs bursting with socio-economic insight. Well done on finding them. The condition of so many of those homes as recently as the 1880s (my own grandmother was born in 1897) defy belief like this one in Gaoth Dobhair, c. 1887. Real, raw poverty. The defences on the Land League house in Mitchelstown make me wonder who was going to attack them and how those branches in the window would actually defend them. Are the four men at the back left of this photo (Galway, 1888) with Parachute Regiment-style hats and white bags medical personnel of some sort?

Soldiers, one has a sword – looks like the uniform of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. The “WL” and “Image: National Library of Ireland” references indicate that the photos are from the William Lawrence Collection much of which is accessible via the NLI site. Lawrence’s principal photographer (Robert French) had been an RIC man for years before joining WL, so perhaps that helped him get the cooperation of those present in the photos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

tonyheaney wrote: »
    Hi history buffs i need a favour, I have a photo on my site and its the famine. The pic is titled 1870 but I have someone telling me it's not 1800s because cameras were never invented.

They've obviously never seen a documentary about the American Civil War which by and large are full of photo's of period.

Here's rather well known one of an "Irish Labourer" from the 1850's (someone who would have thus lived through the Famine)

irish-labourer.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

dubhthach wrote: »
    They've obviously never seen a documentary about the American Civil War which by and large are full of photo's of period.

Here's rather well known one of an "Irish Labourer" from the 1850's (someone who would have thus lived through the Famine)

irish-labourer.jpg

wow great photo, what's it source?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

tonyheaney wrote: »
    wow great photo, what's it source?

Sean Sexton collection, on the following url it mentions that photo is c. 1858

http://photoireland.org/exhibitions/the-collectors-eye/

Advertisement