Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for coping with C- Section delivery.

Options
  • 31-05-2016 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hi, I delivered my second baby yesterday morning by C- Section. The section was unplanned very much so for both myself and the consultant and thankfully both the baby and myself (so far, more test results pending) are grand.

However having had an easy caginal delivery on my daughter I feel like I'm a first time mum again as I have no idea how to deal with this physically.
    Any tips from those of you who have gone through this would be gratefully received. In time more questions may come but so far I'm wondering about coughing, sneezing, getting in and out of bed, getting dressed, holding and feeding my baby (I've yet to feed him) , cuddling my 20/21 month old, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Congratulations. Firstly stay on top of your pain med schedule and buzz the midwives if you're due some. Your schedule will be in your chart. I found at times the midwives were busy and would be late getting to me.

I found taking it very easy the best way to cope with walking/ moving etc. I got out of bed the following day with one of the care assistants by my side in case I fell. I didn't feel up to showering until the following day. For the first couple of nights I buzzed the midwives to lift my baby into the bed and out to feed.

I was breastfeeding so I found the lying down on my side with baby lying beside me the most comfortable.

Sorry no idea of how to cope with toddler cuddles.

In the next few weeks too, don't overdo it with walking etc. Take it easy and build up distances gradually. It is major surgery after all. Hope your recovery is quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

As hard as it is walk up and down the hospital corridors as soon as you can. I tried to go for a stroll a few times a day and try to straighten your body. You will naturally hunch over to protect the scar but try to walk straight. I think walking as much as I could helped me make a speedy recovery. I was driving after 4 weeks. I went out for a walk at 10 days pp. Very slow and gentle though. Listen to your body and don't overdo it. Forget the housework etc when you get home. An emergency section is traumatic so give yourself time to process it. Hope you are ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Oh and drink the peppermint water. No one told me about the cramps from trapped wind. The peppermint water does help.

Keep asking for pain meds as the midwives forget. One small mercy is the fact you aren't pregnant anymore so can take all the tablets!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

I had 2 sections, the first being an emergency. I agree with the poster above it is very important to get moving as soon as you can. I learned this thanks to a very kind, but stern young nurse who helped me out of bed after a few days and basically told me you can walk, take it easy, you can do this, and it really helped so much. Nice slow gentle walks, focus on your posture and straightening yourself out. With your older child, you sit on a couch or chair and then let them climb up on your knee, that way you can get your cuddles but not have to lift them. I didn't experience any problems with coughing, sneezing, getting in and out of bed, getting dressed, holding and feeding my baby. I didn't manage to feed my baby myself the first time, I tried but it didn't work out as I was in ICU for one night and he was in special care, so switched to bottles which was fine, allowed me to get some rest and recover well. Just go easy on yourself, be sensible, eat nutritious healthy food and you'll be fine in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Arnica won't do a thing for healing-don't waste your time. Take all the pain meds you need and ask if the nurses forget. You can take floredax (sp) for constipation if necessary. Make sure you go home with a pain med prescription and don't be a martyr. I found I was almost back to normal after 7-ten days each time. I had a toddler second time and took it very easy with the two of them-TV etc if necessary for entertainment, it doesn't last forever.

ETA- I found keeping moving was best, in and out of the shower, up and down to the nursery area for changing, down to the shop when himself was in with us. If you can try to get home early. I healed much quicker second time and I think it was because I was much more chilled at home. Good luck. And only use water to wash the scar and send someone out for loads of high waisted comfy pants to keep it well covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Congrats Penny!
    I had my baby by section 3 weeks ago. The first day or two will be the hardest. As said already stay on top of the pain medication. Even if you feel you don't need it, take it anyway or you may regret it when the pain kicks in (speaking from experience)
    Make sure you have plenty of pain relief at home also.
    Don't be afraid to ask for help lifting baby in and out of cot while in hospital. Though by the second day you'll find it much easier.
    If you need to cough or sneeze hold a pillow over your wound area.
    As soon as you feel up to it, have a shower. You'll be so glad you did!
    Try rest as much as possible. easier said than done I know but you've had major surgery. I was completely overwhelmed with visitors while in hospital and it really knocked me out!
    I'm feeling fantastic now three weeks later. I actually need to remind myself to slow down and give my body a chance to heal inside!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Congratulations :)

The first couple of days are the toughest.

A maternity pad(s) crossways stuck to the inside your underwear over your incision will help cushion it against anything accidentally glancing off it.

When getting off the bed, put baby in a safe spot first, roll to the side, and place your feet on the ground and use your arms to bear your weight when pushing yourself into sitting. Then pick up baby.

I was lucky in that difene did it for me as a surprise side effect but something to soften your stool so the first bowel movement is without you straining then it wont hurt your tummy.

Rest all you can, gentle exercise and even though you'll be tempted, don't lift heavy stuff or overdo it. It could set you back and make your recovery even longer.

You wont be able to pick up your toddler for a couple of weeks safely. You can still give lots of attention in other ways though. Praise him/ her though the baby - talk to the baby about the wonderful big brother /sister they have and how good they are at X or Y. Tell the newborn all about their big sibling. That way you are still interacting with the baby and they are hearing your voice but it biggs up your toddler too and heads off any potential jealousy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

You have some great advice here, I'd agree with it all. I would emphasise the point of taking the pain relief for as long as you need it. Don't worry! I had an emergency section after a long, traumatic labour and induction and I was wrecked and scared. Every day will get better, one week later and you'll be amazed you had major surgery not that long ago. Get lots of newborn head sniffing, it releases chemicals which provide pain relief. Congratulations!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Congratulations Penny!! Hope you guys are doing good today?!

I can definitely say that keeping on top of pain meds is the best thing to do!

I had an emergency section and one thing j wasn't prepared for was not being able to get out of bed during the night to pick up the baby so don't be afraid to ring the bell!!

Also, I had a pico dressing and the only thing that kept my incision site dry was kitchen paper! Sanitary towels didn't do it for me and especially this time of year! (I also had a May baby)!

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

ChewChew wrote: »

Also, I had a pico dressing and the only thing that kept my incision site dry was kitchen paper! Sanitary towels didn't do it for me and especially this time of year! (I also had a May baby)!

Best of luck

Thanks for the kitchen paper tip ChewChew.
    A tiny section of my wound is still a bit weepy. GP wasn't too concerned with it, just said to keep it clean and dry. Was struggling with keeping it dry thanks to this fab weather and post pregnancy night sweats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I would also recommend getting moving as soon as you can. My son was in the NICU for the 5 days I was in hospital so I had to walk up to him several times a day which (painful as it was) I really accredit with helping me heal quickly.
    I also second the arnica tablets, my scar healed extremely well, 4 years later it's bearly visible.
    The first week was the worst but after that I was flying, I've since had a vaginal delivery & the recovery from that I found alot harder.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

teggers5 wrote: »
    Thanks for the kitchen paper tip ChewChew.
    A tiny section of my wound is still a bit weepy. GP wasn't too concerned with it, just said to keep it clean and dry. Was struggling with keeping it dry thanks to this fab weather and post pregnancy night sweats!

Oh you're welcome. Really hope it helps for you!! I used to leave a roll of the kitchen paper in the bathroom so I'd remember to change it each time I went to the loo! At this time of year and they way your body temp is fluctuating I just found it so hard to keep dry and the sanitary towel idea is great and all but it just didn't work for me as they were way too awkward! But I also had a weepy wound so I really hope that helps you now! And congrats to you too on your new arrival :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I was told not to put anything over the scar site. As has been said get moving is the most important thing, and learn to sit up using your heels pressed into bed for the first while. Don't lift anything heavier than the baby for six weeks, and also be careful when getting up from the couch etc in a few weeks. I burst a teeny bit of my scar getting up holding the baby so had no free hand for leverage.

You had pre eclampsia right? I also had that and my bp stayed up for a while after birth, so if you've any questions about it feel free to pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Hi, thank you all for your great and sensible advice and sorry for taking so long to get back to you all. I really do appreciate everyone taking the time to post.
    I am doing ok thankfully and my little boy is flying too. I got moved to my own room yesterday (having been kept on the labour and delivery wards for observation from Sunday until yesterday late morning). Granted they tried to move me to a semi private ward and I refused point blank to go. It sounds so silly and makes me out to be such a diva which I'm really not BUT the memories of how hot and noisy and crowded I found that ward last time around was just too much for me this time and I really felt like I had been through too much. I'd have gone home AMA which would have been very silly and dangerous but I just couldn't have stayed.
    Thankfully the ward manager could see and understand where I was coming from and an hour later I had my own room. Even that one win was a great help. I know I'm here until Saturday at least and could unpack the baby's stuff and get settled.
    I fed him for th first time myself last night and changed his first nappy (for me) too. It was a big relief to be able to do some Mum type stuff for him at last. I have found the staff great at keeping my pain meds coming and I've been moving about a fair bit as in I've had a shower, unpacked baby clothes, nappies, etc gently, practicing getting in and out of bed, etc. The more I've done it the easier it has been certainly.
    I think my husband will be bringing our little girl with him today so have to try out you tips for managing a section and her too!

Advertisement