Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanna Play A Squat Game? (..and get a free program too)

• 31-05-2016 8:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

A number of years ago, 2011, to be precise – a couple of gentlemen released a study where they looked at whether a high number of sets taken to failure is good for increasing your squat strength.

“Failure” in this context was described as ‘when the lifter felt like they could not complete another rep’. It was NOT about actually failing and missing lifts.

That’s important to remember later.

If you’ve ever read any strength studies, you’ll know a lot of the time it’s done on untrained folks, or beginners. As a beginner, anything you do is going to make you stronger, so any study done on inexperienced lifters doesn’t really apply in the real world to more advanced folks.

Knowing this, the authors of the study decided the minimum entry requirements to take part in the study was a squat of at least 130% bodyweight. At the start of the study the participants had an average squat of somewhere between 149kg and 162kg – good numbers. You don’t get there without putting in some hard months and even years of training.

So one thing is clear – this study was done on experienced folk, and is relevant to you. Even if you haven’t attained those strength levels yet, it’s worth remembering that while anything you can do will get you newbie gains, it makes A LOT of sense to get those gains as efficiently as possible!!

Instead of wasting weeks, months and years getting nowhere, try this program for 6 weeks and experience some crazy gains.

How crazy?

Well, for the participants in the study who did the variation of the program I’m about to describe, their squat maxes went from an average of 162kg all the way up 194kg after 6 weeks, and saw a further increase to 199kg after a 4 week peaking phase.

When was the last time you saw jumps like that?

Tomorrow and for the rest of the week, I’ll be sending out a link to;

+ a facebook group where we can all dig in and go thru this together

+ a spreadsheet which will track your progress and recalculate numbers where necessary

+ an explanation video of the program and how to do it

+ a few mobility and technique videos which will help you get the most out of the program

You can join the FB group a day early here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1574302052868906/

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Can i join just to get the info? I can't be dealing with doms in the legs at the moment due to my running but want to do it in August when the track season is over

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Can i join just to get the info? I can't be dealing with doms in the legs at the moment due to my running but want to do it in August when the track season is over

Of course!

..I imagine most won't survive anywho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm particularly temped as I was squatting at 80% this week but it's not the right time.

Will definitely be trying it down the line though. It's simple, it's tough...what's not to like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Just read lyles post on it. That study is insane! 40% gains in well trained lifters. Da faq is goen on!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I really wanna try this myself but slap bang in the middle of the GAA season it's a no-go... I might just revisit this at season's end...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Read Lyle's post and the original study. Interesting stuff.

Gave this a bit of a shot this evening, though was up against time so had to keep rests to 2 mins except for the last set - 3 mins (I know, I know FTDP :o)

Hit 5, 5, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

First set felt really heavy as have been squatting round 60-70 the past few sessions, but in hindsight, I possibly could have squeezed out another rep looking at the later sets. I guess I was also thinking "OMG I have 7 sets left after this"

Looking forward to tomorrow evening/thurs morning #allthedoms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Also requested to join the group to be nosey.

Would love to take part as I fit the requirements (1.48xBW squat), but just started 5/3/1 with a friend so don't want to break away from that just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I read through the review of Lyle. One thing I noticed is that the different starting strength of the groups make it hard to compare the increases. So I copied the results into a spread sheet and added a Δ% column.
    The peaking %s are increase from the end of the 6 week training cycle. The others are the total increase from the start.

1-Set Δ% 4-set Δ% 8-set Δ%
    Washout 149.0 157.3 162.0
    3 Weeks 155.7 4.5% 174.1 16.8% 179.5 20.5%
    6 weeks 165.5 11.1% 178.2 19.6% 194.0 30.2%
    Peaking 166.4 0.5% 179.1 0.5% 199.0 2.6%

30% average is crazy, considering that 2 out of 11 in that group experienced <10% gains. I'd like to know what the best gain was

would you get really bad doms the whole way through this program? Or would your body adapt somewhat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

IvoryTower wrote: »
    would you get really bad doms the whole way through this program? Or would your body adapt somewhat?

Your body would probably adapt after week 1/2, but honestly who cares about ****in DOMS?

I'd take endless DOMS for the next year if it meant a 30% increase in my squat in 6weeks.

A runner would :) it'll be off season so will be bale to give it a shot then. starting point will be very low so im not sure how suitable i am but it'll probably be more useful than anything I do myself

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

I am not on Facebook so can anyone please ppost a link to the routine. I read through the article but can only make sense that you do 3 lifts of 1rm in a set and repeat 8 times. Is this correct or am I reading this wrong?

conor678 wrote: »
    I am not on Facebook so can anyone please ppost a link to the routine. I read through the article but can only make sense that you do 3 lifts of 1rm in a set and repeat 8 times. Is this correct or am I reading this wrong?

email me on james@revolutionfitness.ie and I'll send it on

I'd prefer if it wasn't passed all over the internet just yet :)

Your body would probably adapt after week 1/2, but honestly who cares about ****in DOMS?

I'd take endless DOMS for the next year if it meant a 30% increase in my squat in 6weeks.

Fact.

I don't expect to see many people get a 30% increase tho for the record.

You'd need to go to a very very very very very dark place 8x a day, 2x a week for 6 weeks to even have a chance.

Hanley wrote: »
    email me on james@revolutionfitness.ie and I'll send it on

I'd prefer if it wasn't passed all over the internet just yet :)

Every now and then people do things I consider generous that remind me the world isn't completely full of **nts.

Every now and then people do things I consider generous that remind me the world isn't completely full of **nts.

I really just want a load of mother****ers suffering along with me.

For anyone who's started, I did day 3 today.

170kg x40 total reps.

6,800kg of squat volume.

Get used to bar marks;

I really just want a load of mother****ers suffering along with me.

For anyone who's started, I did day 3 today.

170kg x40 total reps.

6,800kg of squat volume.

Get used to bar marks; https://instagram.com/p/BGKu3YzrgxF/

:D

Honestly, I dig it though. I may not be doing it (yet) but I appreciate you offering it up to people.

When the bar marks are the same colour as the farmer's tan...ouchy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You'd need to go to a very very very very very dark place 8x a day, 2x a week for 6 weeks to even have a chance.

If imagine the clinical setting encouraged people to push it that by further. As a "milgram experiment" of sorts.

Gonna tackle this after my front squat cycle tops out. Will take a bit of figuring out how to fit it around other training

Mellor wrote: »
    If imagine the clinical setting encouraged people to push it that by further. As a "milgram experiment" of sorts.

Gonna tackle this after my front squat cycle tops out. Will take a bit of figuring out how to fit it around other training

Perhaps... But I dunno if every session was supervised or not which would change things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

I'm not on FB, can I still join in?

eire1 wrote: »
    I'm not on FB, can I still join in?

I may put up an email sign up at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

I may put up an email sign up at some point.

Cool, I'll keep an eye out. Thanks

Did my third workout of this today - last two sessions I have really gone all out - not sure I can keep that up until the end but I'm telling myself I am 25% of the way there now, or half way to half way :D

Numbers so far
    5 5 4 5 5 5 5 5
    8 7 7 7 6 7 6 6
    8 8 8 8 7 7 6 8

Is anyone else who is doing this throwing in any/much assistance work also?

Today after a bit of a rest I did 3 sets of walking lunges at a much lower weight (normally use 10s, used 7s - same reps (just about:o)) and 4 x leg extensions (again about 80% of the weight I would usually use for the same reps).

I do full body so there were a few upper body exercises in there too but they were ok enough after the squats.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Have done 3 days of this. Doing it with front squats for my sins, Shoulders nicely red and sore by the end of each day and quads on fire. Just wondering, a couple of times I have felt im right on the border of possibly being able to get another rep, but also worried I may have to dump the bar. Better to miss the last rep and have to set up again or only go until you are certain you will be able to get the last rep?

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    Have done 3 days of this. Doing it with front squats for my sins, Shoulders nicely red and sore by the end of each day and quads on fire. Just wondering, a couple of times I have felt im right on the border of possibly being able to get another rep, but also worried I may have to dump the bar. Better to miss the last rep and have to set up again or only go until you are certain you will be able to get the last rep?
    Don't miss any reps

And for the other person asking, If you're doing assistance work your probably not pushing hard enough.

Absolute car crash today on day 5/12

Day 4 went really well. Delighted in fact.
    10 9 8 8 8 8 6 8

Day 5 not so much
    10 6 6 6 6 4 4 4

Seriously felt like I had to grind out nearly every rep - and genuinely nearly had to drop the barbell 3 times (I have never actually done that before ever - actually a bit scared of it :o) Everything sucked. Came close to giving up after 6 sets, but talked myself into it by saying even if I only do a single for the last two sets they still count as sets :o Had been taking 3 minute rests up till now, and even snuck in a few 3:30 rests for the last sets to see if it would help.

Hopefully better next time - slept okish last night, not great, but been training a lot this week as I have been off work so maybe that's it. Rest day on sunday though so will hopefully recharge for session 6.

The challenge here provides for 5-minute rests.

Use up all those glorious extra seconds. There are 7 workouts to go and well, you want to survive :)

The challenge here provides for 5-minute rests.

Use up all those glorious extra seconds. There are 7 workouts to go and well, you want to survive :)

Thanks Alf - was going by the original article which is 3 I think - but might increase it a bit alright.

Nearly halfway :eek:

If I make it to 12 I'd say I won't want to look at a squat rack for at least a week :D

BTW, if anyone needs a copy of the original article and doesn't have access (don't think it's open access?) feel free to PM me :)

• Advertisement

Dying to see what kinds of gainz you'll get from this at the end

bluewolf wrote: »
    Dying to see what kinds of gainz you'll get from this at the end

Dying is the word alright :P

My 1RM (1.15xBW) is lower than the average in the article/study so not sure if that will impact. Also squatting is the lift I most suck of the big 3 most definitely so would take any gainz tbh - it's only 12 sessions/6 weeks after all. (even if it is starting to feel like twice that!)

Hit 63 reps today with session 6/12 - meh but slept awful last night (neighbours :mad:). My highest total is still session 4/12 at 65 reps.

Next up I think I should be testing my max again? And then, hopefully, adjusting the weight up for the next 6 sessions at 80% if I have that right?
    Any advice welcome :)

Hit 63 reps today with session 6/12 - meh but slept awful last night (neighbours :mad:). My highest total is still session 4/12 at 65 reps.

Next up I think I should be testing my max again? And then, hopefully, adjusting the weight up for the next 6 sessions at 80% if I have that right?
    Any advice welcome :)

Get 6/12 sessions done.

On session 7, work up to a max - take 80% of that number, hit 8x max sets and continue using that number for the rest of the program.

I've NO idea how you're hitting 60+ reps.

I did this and nearly died:

170kg x8, 8, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5
    Total = 48
    Volume = 8,160kg

Thanks a mill for the advice - well it absolutely floored me today, and I only managed 46 last time out with a disaster of a session.

My sets are slow and involve a lot of grinding them out - they are not nice and fast, pretty squats, though I do feel I am hitting depth ok as that is not usually a problem (I have 99 problems with my squat but that's not one!) :o Also my 80% is still quite a low weight (62.5kg for a 1RM of 78) Think I am always better at higher volumes than heavy singles though for whatever reason - it doesn't translate based on typical calculators - I am always usually a few kgs short of what my max 'should' be based on my higher volume sets if that makes sense.

Thanks again for all the advice - am not looking forward to working up to a heavy single, and then doing my 8 sets - I thought it would be on separate days :o

The sets are actually quite a bit easier after the heavy single because of increased motor unit recruitment. It'll feel a lot lighter because of it.

..doesn't mean it won't suck tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Week 2 day 1 squat

Bar 2 x 10
    60kg x 8
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 3

115kg 10,9,8,8,7,6,6,6 for 60 reps and 6900kg of volume.

Was honestly the most disgusting workout I think I've done, at one stage I'd to go stand by a bin because I thought i was going to get sick. Some of the rest breaks were 6 mins rather than 5 through necessity.

Worst part is, I can't see it getting any easier :(

Mid way point of my 80% squat cycle.

The wheels fell off in a big way.

A) Squat (no belt high bar)
    up to 205kg x1
    170kg x10 (WAHOO!), 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
    Total reps: 47
    Total volume: a gee hair short of 8k

I'm CRAZY happy with how solid the 205kg was. Gives me the confidence to go balls out next week on the mid cycle test. Attempts will be 190/210/see from there.

Heres the 205 https://www.instagram.com/p/BGrqn0crgzc/?taken-by=revfit_james

I'm so happy I hit 170x10 - I REALLY wanted that at the start of the cycle, but it royally ****ed me for the rest of the day.

Swings and round abouts.

I originally started the cycle with above 80% of my max - it would be 212.5kg with current numbers.

I'll probably push on to 180kg for the remaining weeks regardless of test day.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

5th day yesterday

Front squats 95kg, 9,8,7,7,6,7(not sure how my reps went up but i will take it), 6,6 - 5,320 total. first time getting over 50 reps

Probably about twice the volume i had ever done on front squats before this program

So 7th session :eek:

At the start my 1RM was 77.5 - was working off 80% = 62.5

Worked up as heavy as I could - just squeezed out 80kg - probably not very pretty but technically a new max. But after that disappointing.... :mad::(

I actually think one of the bars is a couple of kg lighter than the rest (they are all jordan bars but still) which might explain why a couple of my previous sessions felt a bit easier/lighter. Today was definitely a normal heavy bar day and felt every bit of the baby-step up to 65kg with the new max

7,6,6,6,6,6,6,6 - so incredibly meh, but consistently so at least :o But everything felt super heavy today - hopefully better on sunday!

Found it really tough mentally today tbh, but got it done I guess. Not moving off the sofa for the rest of the evening...

So 7th session :eek:

At the start my 1RM was 77.5 - was working off 80% = 62.5

Worked up as heavy as I could - just squeezed out 80kg - probably not very pretty but technically a new max. But after that disappointing.... :mad::(

I actually think one of the bars is a couple of kg lighter than the rest (they are all jordan bars but still) which might explain why a couple of my previous sessions felt a bit easier/lighter. Today was definitely a normal heavy bar day and felt every bit of the baby-step up to 65kg with the new max

7,6,6,6,6,6,6,6 - so incredibly meh, but consistently so at least :o But everything felt super heavy today - hopefully better on sunday!

Found it really tough mentally today tbh, but got it done I guess. Not moving off the sofa for the rest of the evening...

Without a deload I wouldn't expect much of a PR at all. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few test out weaker at week 3 cos of fatigue.

• Advertisement

Well ya know its been a good workout when the scabs from the cuts on your back end up stuck to the inside of your T-shirt.

63 reps and 7,245kg of volume.

The third nine and the second eight in particular I almost dumped it and saw stars while getting it back upright.

Felt crap in warming up but very strong overall.

Really excited to see the overall results at the end of the 6 weeks, I don't think think I've ever pushed so hard in a gym with a singular focus.

[Anyone else having issues with wear and tear on their back? The raw area became a scab and the scab tore off, and then again this evening. Had to stop 4 sets and 1 rep in when the pain was bad but the blood meant I had to stop.

Pity, had gone 10,10,10,8 and was feeling quite strong.

The second ten made me realise I'd probably got 2 more reps first set

VW 1 wrote: »
    [Anyone else having issues with wear and tear on their back? The raw area became a scab and the scab tore off, and then again this evening. Had to stop 4 sets and 1 rep in when the pain was bad but the blood meant I had to stop.

Pity, had gone 10,10,10,8 and was feeling quite strong.

The second ten made me realise I'd probably got 2 more reps first set

Rub some cement on them.

The flyefit bars are like cheese graters. Not surprised you're having trouble. Are you low bar'n or high bar'n?

If you're low bar'n I'm not surprised your ripping your shoulders up.

Hanley wrote:
    The flyefit bars are like cheese graters. Not surprised you're having trouble. Are you low bar'n or high bar'n?

Yeah low bar. I've sourced some zinc paste which helps cuts heal quickly, hopefully will complete the Friday session.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Yeah low bar. I've sourced some zinc paste which helps cuts heal quickly, hopefully will complete the Friday session.

Yeahhhhh... .that's why I'm doing it highbar.

Would clothing help?

The choice thereof rather than just wearing some.

Would clothing help?

The choice thereof rather than just wearing some.

Once you've got something opened up a think layer of cotton or three won't do much. Plus it's hotter than a kangaroos fart in the gym he's in.

Once you've got something opened up a think layer of cotton or three won't do much. Plus it's hotter than a kangaroos fart in the gym he's in.

In terms of prevention though. Something like a rugby jersey or just two light layers? Or are the bars that bad it doesn't really matter?

In terms of prevention though. Something like a rugby jersey or just two light layers? Or are the bars that bad it doesn't really matter?

Prevention wise you'd probably get away with thick cotton.

Another very disappointing session, that's two in a row. Hoping its just fatigue and I'll be right again soon.

Warm ups

120kg 7,7,7,6,6,6,5,5 for 49 reps

Everything felt a massive grind and just didn't have anything in my legs at all.

Anyone else still going with this one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement