Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanna Play A Squat Game? (..and get a free program too)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

VW 1 wrote: »
    Another very disappointing session, that's two in a row. Hoping its just fatigue and I'll be right again soon.

Warm ups

120kg 7,7,7,6,6,6,5,5 for 49 reps

Everything felt a massive grind and just didn't have anything in my legs at all.

Anyone else still going with this one?

You're well into the dip now :)

...that's a good thing by the way.

I've switched to a comp prep cycle. I'm about 3 weeks off the 80% cycle and feeling like an absolute beast now. Check out the 180s in my log to see how well they moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Hanley wrote:
    I've switched to a comp prep cycle. I'm about 3 weeks off the 80% cycle and feeling like an absolute beast now. Check out the 180s in my log to see how well they moved.

Saw the 180s this morning, looked very strong. I shall persist on, only 4 more workouts to go!

VW 1 wrote: »
    Saw the 180s this morning, looked very strong. I shall persist on, only 4 more workouts to go!

Expect 2/3 weeks of ming'ness off the back...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Hanley wrote:
    Expect 2/3 weeks of ming'ness off the back...

What's the detail for a deload? Or is it just a week of taking it easy then get testing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Would it be ok to round up at the start (slightly) for the sake of a nice even number in terms of plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Any reason not to use this method for bench press also? assuming doing a lot of back work to equal out all the pressing and doing it with safties up in case of failure?

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    Any reason not to use this method for bench press also? assuming doing a lot of back work to equal out all the pressing and doing it with safties up in case of failure?

Because your shoulders will hate you.

Also because you can't grind out reps on the bench the way you can with squats.

...you could try it - I just dunno if it'd work.

Finished by front squat cycled today. Tested out with a front squat PR.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BHtf2j8g8TS/

Did a few quick high bar singles after to get a baseline for the above program. But underperformed majorly. Around 5rm level.
    Could be lots of reasons.

Not sure if I should rest again, or just start based off the bad test. Its AMRAP based so should be as no an issue. And also benefits the % increase

Finally started this,

Went 8/8/6/6/5/5 today. Had to stop there as I was short on time.
    YNDTFP, but half thinking of complete the lot based on 6 sets.
    If 4 sets = 20% and 8 sets =30%...6 sets = 25%??

I will do 8 when I can, but I know I'll be short trying to get this in during lunchtime along with upper push/pull.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Finally started this,

Went 8/8/6/6/5/5 today. Had to stop there as I was short on time.
    YNDTFP, but half thinking of complete the lot based on 6 sets.
    If 4 sets = 20% and 8 sets =30%...6 sets = 25%??

I will do 8 when I can, but I know I'll be short trying to get this in during lunchtime along with upper push/pull.

the sets you get done are more important than the sets you don't when you only have a finite amount of time to get them done

try cutting the rest to 3 minutes

it'll suck massively because of that, but c'est la vie

Hanley wrote: »
    the sets you get done are more important than the sets you don't when you only have a finite amount of time to get them done

try cutting the rest to 3 minutes

it'll suck massively because of that, but c'est la vie
    That was rest at 3 mins, with the except if the last set as a PT from the gym was waffling the ear off me. Last set was actually 6 reps.

Today was exceptionally tight on time. I think most days I'll be able to fit in mobility warm up plus 30mins of squats, leaving with time for 15 mins of other stuff.

Session 3/12 done
    9/8/7/7/7/7 for 45 reps
    Right sartorious is twanging all over the shop right now

6/12 complete. Still doing 6 sets.
    10/10/9/9/8/9 for 55 reps

I think I'll retest for the second half. The thoughts of taking this past 10 reps sets is grim.

I realise I'm the only one still updating this thread. But I feel I might as well keep going for the sake of information.

Retested last night at the midway point.
    +11% on tested max from the start.

In terms of fully disclosure, that's probably superficially elevated from a shitty max test at the start.
    But regardless of the actual %+, it's absolutely the heaviest high bar squat I've ever done. And depth was ATG.

Win.

• Advertisement

Can't wait to see what the second phase holds. I'm starting to wonder if it's too much for some...

I reckon I'll get close to same numbers for the second phase. That's the target anyway. We'll find out tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I got through 8 sessions but had to stop due to the flare up of an injury/health issue (have had to switch from squats to split squats instead). Was gutted tbh, and would have loved to have finished of the last 4 (if loved is the right word :D) I would hope to give it another shot sometime in the future. Great to see the feedback from people here on it so thanks for the updates Mellor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Would it be a decent program to do for a relative noob. I'm a runner(400m), 33 m, and would like to bump my squat up now in the off season. I have squated before just never got the weight higher than I'd say 70kg (if even).

Going to test my 1rm today with a friend.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Would it be a decent program to do for a relative noob. I'm a runner(400m), 33 m, and would like to bump my squat up now in the off season. I have squated before just never got the weight higher than I'd say 70kg (if even).

Going to test my 1rm today with a friend.

It would be a great offseason program.

• Advertisement

One more question.

I was thinking of alternating wide and narrow stance. There seems to be argument on both sides as to which is better for running. Should I just stick to on?

Edit. Think I'll go with narrow, it feels better

A wobbly 90 1rm, let the fun begin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

One more question.

I was thinking of alternating wide and narrow stance. There seems to be argument on both sides as to which is better for running. Should I just stick to on?

Wider works your hips more. Been working on widening mine out bit by bit.

One more question.

Goldilocks.

In the middle.

Too wide can cause hip pain.

Too narrow can cause excessive forward lean.

You'll find a good middle group. usually just outside shoulder width.

Thanks

Did I read somewhere that it's a 2 min rest? I took a bit longer on some of mine.

Thanks

Did I read somewhere that it's a 2 min rest? I took a bit longer on some of mine.

Max of 5. Don't go over.

Thanks

I've been working off 3 mins.
    Well I set a timer for 30sec work, 3min rest intervals. But sets run over which eats into the rest a bit.

Did session 8 yesterday. Matches the total reps from session 2, but with +11% load.

Okay good to know, should make things a little bit easier next time. Walking funny today, have never lifted even close to that much weight in my life :o potential for serious noob gains :cool:

more like noob pains, 4 days and i still can barely walk, might need to rethink this :o

more like noob pains, 4 days and i still can barely walk, might need to rethink this :o

I had crazy DOMS after the first session. Still hadn't gone after 4 days when I session 2 came around. But its been fine since then.

• Advertisement

Okay good to know, should make things a little bit easier next time. Walking funny today, have never lifted even close to that much weight in my life :o potential for serious noob gains :cool:

The DOMS stops after session 2.

..actually that tends to be a thing on most high volume squat programs - there's no DOMS by the third training day.

The DOMS stops after session 2.

..actually that tends to be a thing on most high volume squat programs - there's no DOMS by the third training day.

would this be the case for someone who hadnt squatted for months though and even at that very little before. Should I try to squat 2moro no matter how bad it is? Id say if I tried to lift 70kg today I would fall over on the first one no kidding! Maybe wait until Sat? I know its 6 days then...

would this be the case for someone who hadnt squatted for months though and even at that very little before. Should I try to squat 2moro no matter how bad it is? Id say if I tried to lift 70kg today I would fall over on the first one no kidding! Maybe wait until Sat? I know its 6 days then...

Go squat.

It's monday and its raining. I want to be at home on the sofa. But instead I dragged myself to the gym at lunch to get workout 10 of 12 out of the way.
    Sat down for 5 minutes after warming up and just played with my phone.

Ended up going 9/8/8/8/8/8 for 49 reps. The last two sets where tough. Was planning on dropping to 7 reps and decided mid set to go hang in there at 8.

That one more rep (at the heavier load) than I hit in workout 4, the first half equivalent.

Fair play Mellor it'll be interesting to see the end results

I tried day 2 6 days after first day and couldn't get through the warm up. I'm going to continue on with the program but with a bit less weight and a bit more ATG. I think I cheated myself by getting a 1rm that didn't get down low at all.

I just bought the Adidas Powerlift 2 on sale as per hanleys email http://www.adidasspecialtysports.ie/listing/weightlifting-sale. €67 inc delivery for anyone who might be interested

I just bought the Adidas Powerlift 2 on sale as per hanleys email http://www.adidasspecialtysports.ie/listing/weightlifting-sale. €67 inc delivery for anyone who might be interested

Spend a bit more time on the warm up sets to get used to them, just to be on the safe side.

Spend a bit more time on the warm up sets to get used to them, just to be on the safe side.

Will do thanks.

You probably want to retest your max and sit down all the way. Video and post here if unsure. No point picking an arbitrary number and hoping it's the right one when testing is so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭airmech

I finished this program 2 weeks ago, I didn't get any increase in my max when i tested this week. A bit annoying considering i sacrificed my deadlift for the duration, just to get a new pb in the squat which has eluded me for about four years now. O well, now iv a **** deadlift to join my **** squat.

• Advertisement

airmech wrote: »
    I finished this program 2 weeks ago, I didn't get any increase in my max when i tested this week.
    How did you reps go week to week?

How did you reps go week to week?
    Best was 99787777, normally i would just do max 9 reps at this weight, so the volume i was doing was 7 times my normal so thats something.

Did you do the same reps every week?

Did you follow any kind of peaking protocol?

How long after your last training day did you test?

Did you do the same reps every week?

Did you follow any kind of peaking protocol?

How long after your last training day did you test?

Different reps every week, i increased the weight for week 4 and on my last session week 6 because the gym had no 1.5 plates that day, final session 7 6 555555.

Tested 2 weeks later. I had a tough six weeks, couple of days with the flu,back twinge, dislocated big toe, but i made sure to get it done. Disappointed no pb but i can do alot more reps at the lower weights. I think i will do 1 day of this volume every forthnight from now on.

airmech wrote: »
    Different reps every week, i increased the weight for week 4 and on my last session week 6 because the gym had no 1.5 plates that day, final session 7 6 555555.

Tested 2 weeks later. I had a tough six weeks, couple of days with the flu,back twinge, dislocated big toe, but i made sure to get it done. Disappointed no pb but i can do alot more reps at the lower weights. I think i will do 1 day of this volume every forthnight from now on.

Different reps every week. But they were always increasing right? Outside of weeks where you increased the weight.

If you can do a lot more reps at a lower weight, then I can't imagine how that would carry over to your max. If you increase you 8rm by 20%, I'd expect a c.20% increase on the top end.
    But there are lots of reasons you didn't realize that increase. Could be as simply as not being accustomed to the 25%+ heavier load on your back. Tapering to lower reps before testing might have helped.

Hit 9/9/9/9/9/8 in on friday and 10/10/10/9/9/9 yesterday to close this out.
    2 reps more than 3 weeks ago at the lighter weight in both workouts. That takes total for reps for the second phase back to the same as the first phase (276). That was a coincidence, was smoked after the two workouts above.

Now to retest. Not entirely sure how to approach it
    1. Weeks off and test nest monday
    2. Do a sohrt peaking phase
    3. Retest next week, preak phase, retest again

I know the study from the OP did something similar to option 3. But it didn't give details of the peaking protocol.
    I'm leaning towards rest and test at least, but kind of want to block it out for a few days.
    552 Working set squats in 6 weeka. Over 700 including warmup

• Advertisement

Tested today. Another 9% to bring the total to 20% from this program. Pretty happy with that in 6 weeks. overall.
    I did attempt a slightly heavier rep and got stuck in the hole, that would have given my 11% from each phase. But meh, its close.

Plan is to try convert the above single into a new 5RM over the next few weeks.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKAQHs2AUE3

Tested today. Another 9% to bring the total to 20% from this program. Pretty happy with that in 6 weeks. overall.
    I did attempt a slightly heavier rep and got stuck in the hole, that would have given my 11% from each phase. But meh, its close.

Plan is to try convert the above single into a new 5RM over the next few weeks.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKAQHs2AUE3

Lovely work.

.....but stop being so freakin' greedy!!

You've already added 20% to your squat in 6 weeks.

Getting your new 1RM to a 5RM would mean another 15% increase...

You're not a big enough newbie to make that happen and you'll prolly only hurt yourself trying :)

Smarter move is to back off and maintain squat and focus on deadlift (or even a different squat variation)

Probably wasn't clear, my bad. I didn't mean I want to squat my new 1RM for 5 reps. I'm not that greedy (or optimistic).

I meant to do a short run of 5rep workouts, working up to the somewhat equivalent 5RM (c.88%). Not trying for any relative strength increase, I'll be pretty happy with maintaining tbh.

I've plenty of other things I'd like to improve first now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My heart jumped with the sudden speed increase and depth. For a split second I thought you were getting crushed.

Nice work btw

Probably wasn't clear, my bad. I didn't mean I want to squat my new 1RM for 5 reps. I'm not that greedy (or optimistic).

I meant to do a short run of 5rep workouts, working up to the somewhat equivalent 5RM (c.88%). Not trying for any relative strength increase, I'll be pretty happy with maintaining tbh.

I've plenty of other things I'd like to improve first now

Ohhhh ok that makes more sense :) Thought you were smarter than that alright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement