Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sublet and deposit

Options
  • 31-05-2016 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Who gets the deposit back the person that sublet his room or the the person who is renting it?

The lease is up on the house we are renting next month. The person that sublet his room is saying that the deposit is first giving to him and then he pass it on to the tenant. When he had sublet his room he had got his deposit back from the tenant that moved in.
    He is saying he is only paying for the damage he caused such as paint for his room and anything the tenant that gave him the deposit has done, as he is gone. Which is fair enough even though I was going to be nice and help towards the chair he broke but that's just me I am fairly sound about that.
    This person is a friend of mine that sublet his room. I got a text of this person saying that yeah his only going to pay for the damage he caused and the other tenant but not the new person as the tenant that was in his room as moved out and a new person is in his room for the last two months. That he will deduct according to her length of time in the house. He wants the landlord to transfer the deposit to him and then he would transfer the deposit to her.
    That he is not going to pay for everything etc. I don't know where he is coming from, his my friend and is friends with the other lad so not going to screw him plus that help with the cost of the chair so if we were like that we would not help him as we didn't break the chair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Really, the deposit should go back to who paid it. The deposit that the landlord has is contracted through the lease with the original tenant and any returned amount should go to them. They can then deal with the subletters deposits that they collected separately which is a separate contract between the tenant and the subletter.

However, if it were me I would stay out of it and leave it to the original tenant and the subletter to sort it between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sublet rooms

Really, the deposit should go back to who paid it. The deposit that the landlord has is contracted through the lease with the original tenant and any returned amount should go to them. They can then deal with the subletters deposits that they collected separately which is a separate contract between the tenant and the subletter.

However, if it were me I would stay out of it and leave it to the original tenant and the subletter to sort it between them.

Cool thanks that is what I wanted to do but didn't want his subletter get screwed if he decides that he not give back what's due and deduct money from it. I just going to reply back that the deposit will go back to him and that he can sort it out with his subletter. I don't see anymore deductions in the deposit as the house is well kept and will be returned the way it was let to us, apart from the chair and abit of paint work in his room.

Advertisement