Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Macbook - Warranty applicable in Ireland?

Options
  • 31-05-2016 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

As the title says,

If I buy a US Macbook from an eBay seller will this macbook's standard 1 year warranty be valid in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

username?! wrote: »
    As the title says,

If I buy a US Macbook from an eBay seller will this macbook's standard 1 year warranty be valid in Ireland?

Yes. They've a standard one year international warranty.

How much are you saving? Is this an Apple affiliated seller? If not the warranty would begin from their date of purchase. Are they US based? If so how are you getting it. Have you calculated customs costs if they are. Again, if they're not affiliated where did the machine come from. I'm not sure if there are issues buying Apple care from the Irish for a US machine.

Even if you can avoid customs I'm guessing the savings for this machine can't be that significant. Macs are in no way immune from unexpected hardware issues in regard to components or design. e.g. I had a PowerPC era MacBook that died after 13 months. It was an issue with the Fouth gen G4. Had I bought in the states things would have been complicated. That was over ten years ago but don't think things are any different now.

Honestly I think you'd be operating in a false economy. The warranty over here is worth a significant amount.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple doesn't honour Ebay purchase dates. Only authorised-Apple resellers. So if the Ebay seller bought it 12 months ago, then the warranty is already expired. Apple have their own records of when the machine was sold. If that doesn't match when you purchased it you have to provide proof.

But as Oafley said, even if the warranty is valid you are screwed after 12 months. So I wouldn't recommend this either.

If you are looking to save money, get a refurb from the Irish Apple store.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

Apple doesn't honour Ebay purchase dates. Only authorised-Apple resellers. So if the Ebay seller bought it 12 months ago, then the warranty is already expired. Apple have their own records of when the machine was sold. If that doesn't match when you purchased it you have to provide proof.

But as Oafley said, even if the warranty is valid you are screwed after 12 months. So I wouldn't recommend this either.

If you are looking to save money, get a refurb from the Irish Apple store.

Machine was only released in May 2016. So can't be earlier than that.
    200 euro savings.

What do you mean by you would screwed after 12 months, wouldn't you be screwed after 12 months if you bought it here too as it's a years warranty?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No, because you are covered under Irish and EU consumer law and can potentially make a claim for up to 6 years.

http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

No, because you are covered under Irish and EU consumer law and can potentially make a claim for up to 6 years.

http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

Ah I didn't know this. thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

MacBooks have international warranties if purchased through Apple's official retail chain.

So no concern about the MacBook being sourced in the US, but what I would be wary about is whether the seller is an official Apple reseller (if they selling internationality on eBay, I would guess they aren't).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Bob24 wrote: »
    MacBooks have international warranties if purchased through Apple's official retail chain.

Yes, but that's still only a year if bought in the US. The longer protection that we take for granted wouldnt enter into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Bob24 wrote: »

Yes, but that's still only a year if bought in the US. The longer protection that we take for granted wouldnt enter into it.

Sure. Though I would say losing EU warranty is not a huge deal given it only applies in limited cases (as far as I understand it only covers clearly documented and widespread manufacturing defects, which Apple tends to cover off-warranty anyway).

However I don't think buying off eBay is a good idea.

Advertisement