Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most reliable backup device

Options
  • 31-05-2016 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Need to transfer the holiday videos and pictures etc on my laptop as its getting really full, i purchased a portable 500gb HD on Ebay but it wasn't working correctly and seems unstable when it did decide to work.

What is the most reliable device to store items on

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Have you considered cloud storage, so that its always online. Google drive, Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive some examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Cloud storage might be an option.

If you can spare 2 dollars a month you could use google drive. (at 100GB storage).

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2375123?hl=en

Here's a good article on backing up (never have those files in just one location!)

http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/world-backup-day-the-3-2-1-rule/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

There is no "most reliable device" to store items on.

Consider using the "3-2-1" backup approach.

A 3-2-1 approach means having at least 3 total copies of your data, 2 of which are local but on different mediums (read: devices), and at least 1 copy offsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭coyle21

thanks but a portable HD would be more reliable than say a sd memory card

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

coyle21 wrote: »

No? Why would it be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Both can fail. Multiple tested copies. 1 at least in a separate location. More than 1 cloud provider. All depending on how valuable your data is to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

coyle21 wrote: »
    davo2001 wrote: »
    No? Why would it be?

Well the answer there probably is yes, cheap NAND like you'll find in most SD cards isn't mega reliable at all and a very poor choice for long term storage, also having limited write endurance to boot.

OP, you can't trust one device, if you cant afford two devices, subscribe to a cloud provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Consider burning a CD/DVD with the info.

Otherwise there's many external hard drives, I don't know which is most reliable.
    Go with a brand that have good reviews.

Advertisement