Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch stuff offline.

Options
  • 31-05-2016 2:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hello,

We have an iPad which is a life saver with the kids, i.e. if they are getting bored, we throw on the iPad and they watch streamed stuff on youtube or netflix......this all happens at home when we are in the house connected via our home WiFi.

However, when we go on the road, or even on a plane etc, we dont want to be using 3g/4g to stream this content. And in a plane, we cannot even get 3g/4g etc.

So my question is, is there a way or an app to download stuff in advance (5 hours of peppa pig from youtube, 2 hours of puffin rock from netflix) to an iPad so that it can be viewed later when your not connected to the Internet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Glebee

You can load it up with MP4 files that can be then viewed directly on the Ipad. You can do it through Itunes. You have to download the MP4 files beforehand though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Glebee wrote: »
    You can load it up with MP4 files that can be then viewed directly on the Ipad. You can do it through Itunes. You have to download the MP4 files beforehand though.

hi, thanks. how do I go about getting these mp4 files?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

You can't ask that here. Try Google.

tallpaul wrote: »
    You can't ask that here. Try Google.

Very helpful, thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The easiest solution might be to buy or rent some films from the iTunes Store. Look under the Kids & Family genre. But take into account how much free storage you have. You won't fit many videos on a 16GB iPad, for example. Get the SD versions to save money and space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Netflix are adding an offline feature soon

Doesn't the Sky Go app have an offline feature?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

iTunes was invented for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Very helpful, thanks.

Well what did you expect??

A more complete answer would be to perhaps rip your own DVD's using a program like Handbrake into the required format and copy them across. If however you are looking for material you don't already own, then a bit of google-fu will be required.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

keith_d99 wrote: »
    I'd say it's a long way off. Recently they said they were "keeping an open mind" about it after stubbornly insisting for years that their users didn't want the feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

keith_d99 wrote: »

Doesn't the Sky Go app have an offline feature?

Yes sky go does have an option to download and watch off line.

• Advertisement

Glebee wrote: »
    ]

Hi,

I have used converter.cc and now have a YouTube video in mp4 format on my windows 7 pc.

I want to get the mp4 movie from my pc to the iPAd (ipad 2 with ios 9.3.2)

have teh ipad connected now to teh pc, but I cant for the fookin life of me figure out how to do it, have done file > add file to libray, tried to drag and drop , looked up online stuff, no luck.

Anyone know an easy way to get an mp4 file from a windows pc to iTunes.

and then . where in the fook do I find this video on the ipad after I have done this ?

sorry about language etc, but something so simple has been wrecking my head for the last 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I could write it all down but it's easier to watch instructions on YT
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=transfer+videos+to+ipad+

biko wrote: »
    I could write it all down but it's easier to watch instructions on YT
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=transfer+videos+to+ipad+

still cant figure it out, every time I add a file to the libaray, it seems to do nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Glebee

Are you using the "Add file to library" option in iTunes?

got there in the end, I just abandoned that piece of sh1t i tunes and used a thing called: waltr.

drag an drop, job done.

Advertisement