Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tips for a cyclist getting a motor?

• 31-05-2016 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭

I've been cycling with my legs a long time, commuting 15km each way for the past few years into Dublin city centre, but am moving to Wicklow next month with a 30km each way commute and am getting a motorbike for a couple of days a week to break things up and save my legs for the weekend.

I have IBT booked over the next couple of weeks and am considering buying an XSR700 as my first bike (despite the fugly radiator and try-hard marketing).

Any tips from those that do both?

Obviously I'm going to be wider - currently 40cm @ bars/shoulders/hips whereas motorbike will be 82cm. So filtering will be harder.

From what I've read I can use bus lanes if I don't take the piss and pass the occasional attitude test.

I see lots of motorbikes crossing stop lines and sitting almost in the junction. I don't do this on my bicycle but maybe there's some special case for it on a motorbike that I don't understand. Do people get pulled for it?

Anything else?

Maybe this should be in the noob thread, please move if I've crossed a solid white line. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

SV650 would be another option, as would the Kawasaki er6. Twins are traditionally narrower and possibly lighter than il4 but it depends on what is available in your budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I would suggest riding as if you were in a car until you're completely comfortable with the bike. Then you can start to filter etc. Assume that a car is coming out of every gap in traffic, every side road and every gateway. Don't ride faster than a speed that allows you to stop in the distance you can see. Good gear is essential for year round commuting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

I've been using either a Honda Deauville 650 or a Giant Defy 105 this past 10 years. (40 km mostly on or near the n7) Filter is a thing you grow into. Hard shoulder can have junk in it (pallets etc.) but you know all about that.
    The panniers and fairings and screen and shaft drive on the Deauville are great, but a back pack also works fine. Wish I had abs brakes.

In the worst winter days (ice, snow) I beg a lift or take a bus. I avoid the bike if there's fog, but sometimes the fog is nearer Dublin so I soldier on. Sfsg.
    Surprisingly the 'best' days on the Honda are the dark winter ones, when traffic is at its worst. This time of year with students off, some parents on term-time etc. it's not as adventagious. I have an over-suit for the wet days, the ordinary stuff fails (at my budget end).
    Enjoy them both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

You mostly have it.

Don't focus too much on filtering, it's very different on the motor and the cycley bike (have done both for a few years). As the other poster says, drive like a car for a while and eventually you get the confidence. I find myself still sitting behind the odd time where I could probably filter, use your judgment and suit yourself.

Bus lanes, yeah, you might get the odd copper giving you grief over it because he's nothing better to do, but it'd mostly be because you were doing something else.

In the junction I do notice, if you're filtering to the top there's rarely space unless there's a bicycle space up the top of the queue of traffic. I tend to pull in front of the lead car ever since a month or two back when some retard tried to race me off the line and tipped off me.

As for bike go to a bike shop and sit up on a load of bikes. Do it till they're sick of you. I had my heart set on a number of bikes starting out that I instantly got turned off once I sat on them or even saw them up close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hey Lumen, welcome to the other biking forum :)

Like you I cycle too, my commute is Portmarnock to Phoenix Park via the city center ~ so whether I take the motorbike or bicycle my commute is a mix of city/M50.

The XSR will be a very nice ride. I haven't rode one but I've sat on one and they're really comfy and the wide bars will make them very easy to handle. Regarding the radiator, I actually like it ~ it adds to the retro look.

Someone suggested an SV650 ~ stick with the XSR.

Cycle lanes aren't a bother, the cops won't look twice at you. Crossing the stop line isn't a hassle either since you'll be beating any four wheeled vehicles off at the lights (even without trying).

If you're considering riding in the winter just bear in mind that the XSR offers absolutely no weather protection, none. You might think 'what motorbike can possibly offer weather protection' ~ you'd be surprised just how much protection a fairing makes.

Another consideration when choosing a bike ~ luggage carrying. I'm not sure if the XSR can take a top box, but soft throw over panniers won't look bad on a retro bike like that. However a bike which takes a top box would make life so much easier for you.

Are you stuck with an XSR in your mind?.. Not that there's anything wrong with it, just wondering really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Filter on the offside only, or between two lanes - never on the nearside\kerbside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Having commuted on many different motorbikes (and on one or too bicycles too every now and again) I eventually came to the conclusion that ABS might have prevented my first "off", ouch, and has since saved me for sure once or twice, I can be dozey.
    I also couldn't care less how the bike looks coz its only gonna get filthy tomorrow. I keep the chain and the light clusters clean, that's about it.
    Dont try copy couriers, some of them are pros getting in thru tight spots at warp speed.
    Ye can ride like a maniac and arrive 2 minutes quicker, there's no future in that though. Arrive safe instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thanks lads, useful stuff. I'll tone down the filtering.
    If you're considering riding in the winter just bear in mind that the XSR offers absolutely no weather protection, none. You might think 'what motorbike can possibly offer weather protection' ~ you'd be surprised just how much protection a fairing makes...Are you stuck with an XSR in your mind?.. Not that there's anything wrong with it, just wondering really.
    XSR: Looks good (IMO), Japanese (reliable), light, ABS, good reviews.

I was also considering a middleweight faired bike like a CBR650F, or maybe CBR600RR, but then I start looking at Fireblades and I'm trying to avoid something that will egg me on too much.

Who are the big Yahama dealers in Dublin? Megabucks is just round the corner from my office. I'd appreciate advice by PM if there's a reason I should avoid them (other than being expensive).

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

I did exactly the same, was cycling for a few years about 10km each way, then moved to Wicklow but 60km each way.
    I got an EN400 first, but it really wasn't a practical commuter, especially in the colder months. It was a nightmare!!

I then added to my collection and got/still have a 2003 F650GS (not a stereotypical GS user thanks :pac:), single cylinder so amazing fuel range for that kind of driving (roughly 80% cruising between 80-100 kmh, 20% N7 and city filtering). A tank costing €16-18 would get me average 360km before the light came on.

Also for the colder months, it gave better protection from the elements and lovely heated grips and also has abs. Also on the weather, I got sealtex jacket and trousers for boats to wear over my gear and its 100% waterproof 2 years later still.

I got the bike cheap enough at 80k on the clock and it now has 117k on the clock and not a bother with it at all - look after it and it looks after me too!

With filtering yeah, and all driving pretty much, drive like you are invisible and don't take risks, but at the same time like everyone is out to get you :D

With the cycling experience it should stand to you in the IBT and motorcycling with road awareness and positioning, depends on the type of cyclist you are haha, but either way will be a good transition to the motorbike having that experience.

beefjerky wrote: »
    With the cycling experience it should stand to you in the IBT and motorcycling with road awareness and positioning, depends on the type of cyclist you are
    An awesome one, obviously. :pac:

w.r.t. clothing and bike choice, I assume most people go through the same "ah sure it'll be grand" thought process and then smarten up after a winter or two of suffering. Why deny myself the learning curve? :D

I suspect that the answer is multiple bikes but I need to ease into this thing.

Also, for the "summer": jeans with integrated knee pads: genius or stupid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

Lumen wrote: »
    An awesome one, obviously. :pac:

w.r.t. clothing and bike choice, I assume most people go through the same "ah sure it'll be grand" thought process and then smarten up after a winter or two of suffering. Why deny myself the learning curve? :D

I suspect that the answer is multiple bikes but I need to ease into this thing.

Also, for the "summer": jeans with integrated knee pads: genius or stupid?

Yeah sure go and sit on a few bikes to see whats comfortable for you and the IBT will give opportunity for that as well. Clothing wise yeah you figure it out but nothing worse than getting wet or cold, cos you stay wet and cold!!
    One thing that made an absolute difference was a balaclava with neck protector, stopped the cold weather getting into my face bigtime - way more comfortable. And just on that as well, for the helmet I got a pin-lock visor so no fogging at all and not having to open it up to clear.

I've also got Kevlar jeans with hip and knee protectors for warmer weather yeah, got them a size too big so I can still fit in comfortably with regular jeans or maybe sweatpants on under too or just on their own.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I would recommend getting an older used japanese bike first.

You won't cry if you scratch or drop it. You will be able to focus on learning without the worry.
    Sell it on after a year.

An old 600 from the early noughties like a Fazer or Hornet will still give you more performance than almost any car on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

I cycle and recently bought a CBF600 - it's frugal, light, narrow enough, ABS and has luggage and a bit of a fairing.

The two big differences between cycling and motorbiking for me are filtering (already mentioned) and stopping in a hurry. I instinctively grabbed both hand levers twice now - one resulted in me and the bike parting company and the second was just annoying. So I regularly practise emergency braking when I get a nice section of empty road.

I bought cheap gear to start and you just end up buying better stuff. You don't need to spend thousands unless you want to but buy half decent stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What part of Wicklow? If you're high up, there's a good possibility that you'll get snow at some point in the winter. Forget about the bike those days.
    A bit of fairing, a screen and a top box are all handy for commuting. If you're used to filtering through traffic on the bike, you'll have a good understanding of what can happen on the motorbike.
    If I was starting out, I'd head to Hein Gericke in Belfast to get kitted out. You'll need boots, gloves, helmet, waterproof jacket and trousers. You can spend between €20 to €1200 on a jacket. I'd make sure everything is waterproof. Handy having stuff like removable liner for your jacket, or lighter gloves for the summer. Gloves for rain and sleet in 0 degrees January mornings are too warm and sticky for this weather, it's handy to have a lighter pair.
    Lots of things are down to personal preference, I like a flip up helmet with internal sun visor. Handy being to open the helmet if you're getting petrol, talking to someone or stuck in slow traffic on a nice day. Or if you have a cold and need to spit!
    But welcome to the biking world, when you get outside Dublin don't forget to wave at other bikers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I do both, cycle for fitness/leisure and have commuted for years on motorbikes.
    I find motorbiking has been a huge help to my cycling since I took it up about 5-6 years ago.
    I saw someone mention the er6 in this thread, I had the er6n (naked/unfaired version) for over 5 years and its a great bike, would be perfect for that commute.
    It is narrow, has a tight turning circle, low seat height and plenty of torque for the motorway stretches.
    If you're not massively tall it would be spot on.

In winter, heated grips, bar muffs and/or handguards all help hugely with comfort, which aids safety.
    Get a good pair of bike boots, don't be using shoes or runners. A crash and your feet are gone. Decent gear is easily got, loads of bargains out there. Get cheap rain wear to go over the jacket/trousers when it gets really bad.
    Top box is very handy when commuting. I prefer to have nothing hanging off my back, again it helps with safety and comfort.

terrydel wrote: »
    Top box is very handy when commuting
    A long, long time ago I had a biker girlfriend who contended that top boxes were "gay".

I just can't shake the negativity of that opinion, though it is no doubt wrong on a number of levels. :pac:

That ER6N looks sweet, similar to MT-07 on which the XSR700 is based. Maybe a good used buy.

edit: this looks clean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

A long, long time ago I had a biker girlfriend who contended that top boxes were "gay".

I just can't shake the negativity of that opinion, though it is no doubt wrong on a number of levels. :pac:

That ER6N looks sweet, similar to MT-07 on which the XSR700 is based. Maybe a good used buy.

I'd half agree with her! They do ruin the look of a bike, very few bikes look well with them. Really only the ones where the manufacturer has designed the topbox into the bike so to speak.
    I've a ktm 990 smt and hate having the top box on it, ruins the looks. But its necessary really for a lot of my use.
    MT07 is a lovely bike, pretty new tho so I'd say hard to find 2nd hand and even if you do they wont be cheap. Er6 do come with abs, older models it was an option, not sure if it became standard on newer versions.
    I think they are a great bike, couldn't recommend them enough. I had an 07 in black and gold and modded to feck, still regret selling it. Never gave an ounce of trouble and used daily in all weather.
    Best of luck with your search!

That's a nice looking one alright, very clean and low mileage. The newer models are a lot better put together and higher quality than the 07 I had too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lol, she was dead right! Try commuting without one first, I have none.
    I have a little fold up bag in my pocket which is handy if I need to buy milk or something on the way home. Not much bigger than a wallet when folded up. But I just don't need to carry anything really.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00BY5RYLI/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1464810403&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=fold+up+bag+samsonite&dpPl=1&dpID=41lVESWoy%2BL&ref=plSrch

While a top box isn't everyone's cup of tea I'd be lost without mine.

For commuting and travel a top box really is a must.

I've used bikes with and without a top box and honestly they're a God send once you get used to them, or have a bike they suit (they're fugly on a supers or hypersports bike, but fine on commuters, tourers and duel sport bikes).

You can also decorate them a little too, add stickers from places you've been to, bands or sports you like etc.

Here's mine with its box.

387564.jpg

387566.jpg

Without;

387565.jpg

Nice bike. The exhaust really makes it.

• Advertisement

Nice bike. The exhaust really makes it.

Another thing about a top box (I know you didn't mean to get into a discussion about them) ~ they DO create a bit of drag from the back of the bike, the handling can be affected too ~ esp if the box is full/heavy.

One other thing, when you do your IBT just keep it in mind that you're being shown the basics ~ if you don't have mates with a motorcycle and would rather a ride with someone on your initial rideout with experience (after your IBT) I'd gladly hook up with you and ride your route to work ~ as this is going to be your regular commute its a good idea to get shown any hazards (along your route) by someone with an experienced eye.

But its not essential either and you're familiar with cycling the route already.

All that said, if/when you get the bike ~ ride safe, keep it between the ditches & have a blast :cool:

Advertisement