Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place for a bike service?

Options
  • 31-05-2016 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

So, I think it's time for me to get my bike serviced, the gears aren't shifting as smoothly, and it doesn't feel as smooth.

I live in Kilmacud - I have Hollingsworth and Fitzcycles on Lower Kilmacud Rd. I don't want to take it to Halfords in Carrickmines after reading the horror stories on here!

Any recommendations or preferences? it's a Specialized Amira 2014.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

I can't recommend Raoul in Harry's Bikes in Clonskeagh highly enough. Nice guy and always does a great job. Just make sure you insist n him doing the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

I can't recommend Raoul in Harry's Bikes in Clonskeagh highly enough. Nice guy that always does a great job. Just make sure you insist on him doing the job.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hollingworth in Kilmacud recently gave my bike its first service. They weren't overly exuberant over the phone when i said I'd bought it online, and looked like I'd wheeled in a dead hooker when I brought it in.

Nevertheless they took my 50 quid and serviced it.

I wouldn't mind but I spent a grand in Hollingsworth last year, and simply couldn't afford to buy another bike in a LBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dan2912

Toolbox and YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Smiley012 wrote: »
    So, I think it's time for me to get my bike serviced, the gears aren't shifting as smoothly, and it doesn't feel as smooth.

I live in Kilmacud - I have Hollingsworth and Fitzcycles on Lower Kilmacud Rd. I don't want to take it to Halfords in Carrickmines after reading the horror stories on here!

Any recommendations or preferences? it's a Specialized Amira 2014.

Is their something wrong with either Hollingsworth or Fitzcycles ??
    I use Hollingsworth and find them to be one of the best I have used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Is their something wrong with either Hollingsworth or Fitzcycles ??
    I use Hollingsworth and find them to be one of the best I have used.

Can't speak for Hollingsworth, but I stopped using Fitzcycles because a basic service was taking them a week to get around to due to a backlog of bikes.

Would happily recommend Harry's and Joe Daly's which aren't far from Kilmacud. For a different one, Frank in the Dutch Bike Shop (Goatstown) did some work on both my bikes (hybrid and road) recently for a very reasonable price, will be my first choice next time I am getting something done.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

xebec wrote:
    Can't speak for Hollingsworth, but I stopped using Fitzcycles because a basic service was taking them a week to get around to due to a backlog of bikes.

Went to Fitzcycles on Monday morning to get a spoke replaced , was told it would take a week due to them being busy. Went to Joe Daly's and was asked if Tuesday morning would be OK to collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I've started using a mobile bike service guy
    -Google "Cathal Harling mobile bike service" -you should get his facebook page -I don't have facebook access at work.

Driving to a bike shop to drop and collect your bike is such a pain in the hole, especially with ongoing issues. Having someone pick the bike up and drop it back to you fixed (!) at your convenience is pure gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

fat bloke wrote: »
    -Google "Cathal Harling mobile bike service" -you should get his facebook page -I don't have facebook access at work.

Driving to a bike shop to drop and collect your bike is such a pain in the hole, especially with ongoing issues. Having someone pick the bike up and drop it back to you fixed (!) at your convenience is pure gold.

What did he charge you/ do for you?

Found his website thespokesman.ie

What did he charge you/ do for you?

Found his website thespokesman.ie

That's another lad afaik. There's more than one lad at it.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know how he makes a bean he's so reasonable. He's done loads of work for me. Got him to sort the kids mtb's out before the winter - service them and cut and fit mudguards, did a very tidy job. Sorted out myself and the wife's winter trainers. Serviced my cx bike and mtb. It's dead handy and he doesn't mind supplying parts or fitting parts you've already bought.

I'm beginning to sound like an infomercial for the guy so I'll leave it at that! :)

Just looking at thespokesman.ie - that's a different guy. No idea what he's like. I'm no personally a fan of those service "packages". - Just do what needs to be done, fix what needs to be fixed, replace what needs replacing. Give me the bike back fixed and not needing further work! It shouldn't be complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

That's another lad afaik. There's more than one lad at it.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know how he makes a bean he's so reasonable. He's done loads of work for me. Got him to sort the kids mtb's out before the winter - service them and cut and fit mudguards, did a very tidy job. Sorted out myself and the wife's winter trainers. Serviced my cx bike and mtb. It's dead handy and he doesn't mind supplying parts or fitting parts you've already bought.

I'm beginning to sound like an infomercial for the guy so I'll leave it at that! :)

Just looking at thespokesman.ie - that's a different guy. No idea what he's like. I'm no personally a fan of those service "packages". - Just do what needs to be done, fix what needs to be fixed, replace what needs replacing. Give me the bike back fixed and not needing further work! It shouldn't be complicated.

I avail of Cathal's services too. Lovely fella and he takes care of my Canyons, and the missus bikes. Does a very reasonable "Shimano" bike fit too. I shall be seeing him over the next few days to dial in my bike fit on a bike, and do my cleats, due to a knee issue I probably caused by "tweaking" stuff.

He is based in Clondalkin and a really nice guy.

His FBI book is https://www.facebook.com/Mobile-bicycle-sales-and-service-277274459006575/?fref=ts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Joe Daly's are good, so are Think Bike in Rathmines. Think Bike have better opening hours. Find somewhere near your work or your home for easy access.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

How much does a bike service cost these days guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I stick mostly with Thinkbike. They're pretty good and I've got to know a few of the guys there over they years.

I've had pretty bad luck with other places which I won't name! New bikes not set up, bikes coming out of services with loose parts, bad attitudes from frankly overworked mechanics. I do most things myself with a once over every year on my MTB and CX bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

I avail of Cathal's services too. Lovely fella and he takes care of my Canyons, and the missus bikes. Does a very reasonable "Shimano" bike fit too. I shall be seeing him over the next few days to dial in my bike fit on a bike, and do my cleats, due to a knee issue I probably caused by "tweaking" stuff.

He is based in Clondalkin and a really nice guy.

His FBI book is https://www.facebook.com/Mobile-bicycle-sales-and-service-277274459006575/?fref=ts

Another one here for Cathal, a gent to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Bump for terrydel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Euro Fred wrote: »
    Bump for terrydel

Cheers mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭leecurlywurly

Hi all,

Does anyone have Mobile bicycle sales and service - Cathal's email address? I don't have facebook and I'm deaf - can't call!

Thanks

Hi all,

Does anyone have Mobile bicycle sales and service - Cathal's email address? I don't have facebook and I'm deaf - can't call!

Thanks

Cant see one on his facebook but ive messaged him there and asked for it for you.
    Its the guy in Clondalkin right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭secman

Hi all,

Thanks

Have his mobile no ?. Surely you can text him and explain your situation and he will text back ?
    I use him too, very helpful, good mechanic and reasonably priced.

• Advertisement

terrydel wrote: »
    Cant see one on his facebook but ive messaged him there and asked for it for you.
    Its the guy in Clondalkin right?

Yes that's him. Thank you, I appreciate it :)

Yes that's him. Thank you, I appreciate it :)

Apologies for the delay, here you go
    cathalharling1@yahoo.ie
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭secman

cathalharling1@yahoo.ie
    Best of luck

Why did OP not just send Cathal a text explaining that he could not call him !

cathalharling1@yahoo.ie
    Best of luck

Thanks a million @Terrydel! Have a good day

Others - I did text but had no response.

He's pretty responsive to facebook messenger in my experience if you wanted to try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

He's pretty responsive to facebook messenger in my experience if you wanted to try that.
    Problem with that was the poster in question doesn't use Facebook, and I can understand them not wanting to sign up to it just to contact him :)
    Hi all,

Thanks

Advertisement