Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer to a closed account

Options
  • 31-05-2016 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Quick question - Yesterday I transferred an amount to a BoI account which I was later advised was closed last week, will the money automatically be returned to my account?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Janet

Quick question - Yesterday I transferred an amount to a BoI account which I was later advised was closed last week, will the money automatically be returned to my account?

Thanks!
    Good morning Tuesday_Girl,

Thanks for your post.

Yes if you transfer to a closed account the funds should automatically go back to the account they have been transferred from.

If it doesn't come back then you will need to contact your account holding branch to trace the payment and have it returned.

I hope this helps, if we can help again please let us know,

Thanks
    Janette

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

Thanks!

Thanks for your post.

Yes if you transfer to a closed account the funds should automatically go back to the account they have been transferred from.

If it doesn't come back then you will need to contact your account holding branch to trace the payment and have it returned.

Thanks
    Janette
    Thanks Janette,

I will wait a few more days then contact my branch if it has not been returned.

Regards
    Paula

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

Thanks!

Thanks for your post.

Thanks
    Janette
    Thanks Janette,

I will wait a few more days then contact my branch if it has not been returned.

Regards
    Paula
    Hi again,

The amount still has not been returned to my account so I called my bank who gave me an OBPAY reference number and advised to contact BOI with it. Just wondering which number I should call or how I should proceed with this number?

Thanks
    Paula

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Paula,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to hear the funds have not been returned to you. A trace needs to be raised by the bank who sent the payment. Once a sending bank raises a trace query, both banks will work together to have the payment located and returned to the sender.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement