Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barista/bar work in Toronto

Options
  • 31-05-2016 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all, I'm planning on moving to Toronto next Feb and I'm looking into doing a barista course before I go. I'd love to get a job in a nice coffee shop or in a bar, I work in an office now on reception and I really don't want an office job over there. I also don't want to be totally broke over there! I've googled barista salary but there doesn't seem to be any accurate salaries, some websites say one thing and another will say something different. I'm wondering if someone could pass on any advice/experience similar work?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Why are you posting here? Surely the Canadian thread would be better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Smithf987 wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm planning on moving to Toronto next Feb and I'm looking into doing a barista course before I go. I'd love to get a job in a nice coffee shop or in a bar, I work in an office now on reception and I really don't want an office job over there. I also don't want to be totally broke over there! I've googled barista salary but there doesn't seem to be any accurate salaries, some websites say one thing and another will say something different. I'm wondering if someone could pass on any advice/experience similar work?
    Thanks!

Dont work as a barista, I did it as did my girlfriend and well its not worth it. accurate salaries are 400 dollars a week.
    Then add on top 5am starts its just not a easy job.
    I worked downtown in the busiest Starbucks in Toronto and was considered the best in the downtown area, but of all my friends who were just waiting doing bar work I would have had the lowest wage by far, so while I met some great people, Id never tell anyone to do it, its just not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Smithf987 wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm planning on moving to Toronto next Feb and I'm looking into doing a barista course before I go. I'd love to get a job in a nice coffee shop or in a bar, I work in an office now on reception and I really don't want an office job over there.
    Have you ever worked in a pub before? You'll be doing the crap shifts, as the good ones will be given to those with PR, and you'll be dependent on tips.

FYI; most places will expect you to work the first night for free, and this also means no tips. If you have a great figure, and don't mind wearing tight clothes, sure, you may do well with tips, but otherwise no.

Have you considered getting a job in your current line of work, but a level or two up?

Advertisement