Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning, prep and department work - level of teacher autonomy or input

• 31-05-2016 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in hearing about how things are done in various schools in terms of how much input teachers have in managing their own preparation and planning and the work of their subject department or any other groups with which they are involved. I'm not really looking to get into a debate about time (whether enough or too much is spent outside class teaching) or CP hours here.

When it comes to your own planning and preparation, do you decide for yourself what to do and when to do it? Or do you have to have/submit certain documentation, or follow a certain template.

When it comes to your subject department, how much control over meetings do the members themselves have? I assume most schools have some sort of standardisation in relation to what documents or records they require from subject departments. Do the member of a department get to agree and set the agenda of their meetings and plan out how/when they will complete the various tasks throughout the year? Is it all decided by the head of department? Or are you given an agenda and list of jobs by management and required to do them at specific times?

What about other groups or committees which may be voluntary, such as Green Flag, graduation planning, school website committee etc. Do they set their own agendas and plan their own work, or do they follow a list of tasks given to them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

I teach Irish, Geog and History- Irish department just add to the resources folder/subject folder as we want and have a 40 minute meeting once a month after school on a day that suits us. With Geography the other three men sort it all out (they are happy to do it) and if they need any help they ask- I've made some models for the department with the Art teacher so I've covered teaching aids for them. History we have a set meeting with agenda etc and at the beginning of the year, assign people to jobs that need t so I worked on the plan with another teacher. another teacher made an assessment folder etc. WE document all the meetings and just write down in our own notes the time we've spent ourselves doing things.

We've a few different groups going on in the school and they set their own meetings to suit themselves. As long as a record is kept its all good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Thanks. Interesting to hear how it works elsewhere. Does your 40 min Irish meeting count cor CP hours?

All our dept meetings are scheduled during CP hours with agenda set by management and we have to complete set tasks. We meet nearly every single week but spend all our time doing the wrong stuff at the wrong time of year and never get time to do what we actually need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Generally we refer back to the previous meeting and review 'actions to be taken'.
    THen we go through the student years and how it all ties together in terms of course covered/curriculum/grades/size of classes.

In terms of decision making there would be a good few years experience present, but if you want to go off on a solo run and you feel strongly about it then off you go... as long as someone doesn't have to pick up the pieces the following year.

If someone has been away on a course or conference then they can bring it up and report back what they've learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Thanks. Interesting to hear how it works elsewhere. Does your 40 min Irish meeting count cor CP hours?

All our dept meetings are scheduled during CP hours with agenda set by management and we have to complete set tasks. We meet nearly every single week but spend all our time doing the wrong stuff at the wrong time of year and never get time to do what we actually need.

Yeah it went towards CP so to be honest it ate into a good bit of time. We double or triple up all our PT meetings- 3rd and 6th are together, 1st and TY and 2nd and 5th then. Parents are told that they basically have X amount of time. They are given a sheet with all the info on it in terms of behaviour, class work, grades and really only stay for a chat if there is something outstanding that needs to be discussed. So we do spend a good bit of time using up the other CP hours with meetings and CPD days or that. We've a fantastic staff though to be fair and we all agreed on the system that worked for us as a whole. Our aim as a whole group was to be ready by Feb as if we were getting a WSE and everyone put in the extra effort to get all the admin and stuff done so next year whether CP hours are there or not we can relax a bit. :D its great to hear what other schools do though, you're right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭doc_17

There's a template given to us by management to report on subject dept meetings. There's a section for "actions to be taken by the next meeting" and we always leave that blank!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Thanks. We have no autonomy, leeway or choice in what we do individually or as a department. The principal may as well be head of each department. There's decades of experience on staff, most people have a M.Ed but no respect for professional judgement or experience at all. So frustrating and totally stifles creativity and innovation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Thanks. We have no autonomy, leeway or choice in what we do individually or as a department. The principal may as well be head of each department. There's decades of experience on staff, most people have a M.Ed but no respect for professional judgement or experience at all. So frustrating and totally stifles creativity and innovation.

That's nuts, any way ye could request a WSE or subject inspection.

I dunno, I'd adhere to the content to be covered, but teach my own way... Sounds like you should get the heck out of dodge city if you can.

Advertisement