Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Belarus, Turners Cross, Setanta, 7.45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Christie is trying too hard offensively. He has been exposed repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

callaway92 wrote: »
    Anyone else think Keith Andrews is an excellent colour commentator? Every time he's done matches I've been pleasantly surprised.

"There are players here who are having a go at getting themselves off the plane"

The standout Irish performance of the night coming from Keith Andrews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Cyrus Christie doing himself no favours here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭weadick

Belarus look far more confident, like they know we are ****er than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Kirby wrote: »
    Christie is trying too hard offensively. He has been exposed repeatedly.

He is on his own on the right hand side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

City v Dundalk Friday in turners cross will probably have better football and a better atmosphere than tonight's garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

Perhaps Harry Arter should be put on a plane to Lourdes rather than London....

• Great finish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Hopefully MON is giving Forde a game and then sending him on his way. Westwood is too good to leave home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Feel very sorry for Westwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

lovely bit of composure and then bang...Long a bit step up from Murphy...

our first 11 would murder this Belarus team in fairness lads.

enzo roco wrote: »
    He is on his own on the right hand side.

Yes he is. But that's what happens when you play a 4-3-3. The wide men are wingers...they attack and stay up the pitch. Its not like playing wide men in a 4-4-2 who are deeper.

Christie needs to realise his role is the occasional overlap. He's playing like a wing back. I like him a lot as a player. But hes had a bad time out there.

Why not leave Shay given at home???

Disgraceful treatment of Westwood if he doesn't make the squad. Taking a player who can't get a game at league 1 level ahead of him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Morrison J wrote: »
    Cyrus Christie doing himself no favours here

is McGeady supposed to be helping him out ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Feel very sorry for Westwood.

Nope, his attitude is the problem

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Christie needs to realise his role is the occasional overlap. He's playing like a wing back. I like him a lot as a player. But hes had a bad time out there.

You need to realise that you have no clue what the instructions are. If he is told to overlap by his manager/coaches then he will.
    He gets blame for the goal that wasnt all his fault, he had no support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Disgraceful treatment of Westwood if he doesn't make the squad. Taking a player who can't get a game at league 1 level ahead of him

Agree..it's obviously personal.

On form he MUST be ahead of Given or Forde....even Randolf ffs

You need to realise that you have no clue what the instructions are. If he is told to overlap by his manager/coaches then he will.
    He gets blame for the goal that wasnt all his fault, he had no support.

I do know what his instructions are. Because that's the way the team is set up. We started with three in central midfield and two attacking wide men. The idea is that they press up the pitch, and the holding player which was Gibson covers holes. Gibson is useless defensively, and Christie was caught out. That's just the simple fact of the matter. It wasn't the first time in the game either.

I'm sorry if he's your brother or something but the game speaks for itself. He's a good player who has had a poor game.

• Advertisement

I do know what his instructions are. Because that's the way the team is set up. We started with three in central midfield and two attacking wide men. The idea is that they press up the pitch, and the holding player which was Gibson covers holes. Gibson is useless defensively, and Christie was caught out. That's just the simple fact of the matter. It wasn't the first time in the game either.

I'm sorry if he's your brother or something but the game speaks for itself. He's a good player who has had a poor game.

Ha, yeah good one...
    Have you being watching the whole game?
    He has not had a poor game though, youre being lazy in your analysis. He has done ok, but was exposed for the goal, it was not all his fault.

He was at fault. He was also at fault for the first goal. He got sucked over to the left hand side of the pitch. Gibson as per usual was also nowhere and they scored. They have gotten in behind Christie several times and we got away with it too.

You clearly haven't watched the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

O'Dowda has a bit of class about him.

Looks bright alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Nope, his attitude is the problem

16 Clean sheets this year

You are just mad. You are clearly wrong as you even lay some blame on another player. So it was not only Christie's fault.

Sucked over to the other side of the pitch???
    Andrews explained why he did that, he was covering for another player.
    Even whilst Im typing, he has done great covering for his centre half.

16 Clean sheets this year

Yeah but needs to sort his attitude out before we could ever consider him.

Decent keeper so it's a pity.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I don't get mad. I call it as I see it. I don't decide "I like that guy! No matter what he does, he's played well!" like some people do. Either way, you can believe what you like. That's your prerogative. Both goals have been from his side. Both times he was out of position.....by a lot. That's all I'll say on the matter from this point.

• Scoreline is very kind to Belarus

Too many missed chances though and some really sloppy defending have cost us

No brainer to take McGoldrick over Murphy but seriously doubt it happens

• Advertisement

I don't get mad. I call it as I see it. I don't decide "I like that guy! No matter what he does, he's played well!" like some people do. Either way, you can believe what you like. That's your prerogative. Both goals have been from his side. Both times he was out of position.....by a lot. That's all I'll say on the matter from this point.

I dont know the man, hes only a newish player to the interantional team, so I dont like/dislike him. But your opinion is completely wrong, as Ive pointed out, Lack of cover, gibson, mcgeady etc. But you just wont admit youre wrong on the internet.
    All the best.

What's so bad about his attitude?

Makes so much more sense to bring Westwood and at least give him the experience of a big tournament instead of bringing a 36 year old David Forde.

whats the attitude stuff about?

I dont know the man, hes only a newish player to the interantional team, so I dont like/dislike him. But your opinion is completely wrong, as Ive pointed out, Lack of cover, gibson, mcgeady etc. But you just wont admit youre wrong on the internet.
    All the best.

I think Christie's mother would admit he's had a ****e game tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Murphy should be nowhere near the squad, a lamp post has better movement.

Ask Enzo. He probably knows his mother.

What's so bad about his attitude?

Makes so much more sense to bring Westwood and at least give him the experience of a big tournament instead of bringing a 36 year old David Forde.

He's already said he's no interest in going unless he's guaranteed no1

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

On the back of a very good 10-15 minutes I'd bring O'Dowda

Westwood apparently made it known a while back he wouldn't be a back up keeper. Questionable attitude but when the competition is a combination of sh*te and over the hill you can see his gripe.

McGoldrick over murphy aswell, Murphy has over 20 caps with no goals at 33 years of age.

If Anthony Stokes wasn't such a flute he'd walk into that squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I never ever heard that stuff about him wanting to be guaranteed the number 1 jersey where did that come from is it quoted somewhere ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Murphy going would be the most fortunate landing in France since Napoleon escaped from Elba.

He's already said he's no interest in going unless he's guaranteed no1

When did he say that?

I remember reading an interview with him pretty recently where he said he'd love to make the squad and if he doesn't he'll be in France anyway going as a fan. No mention of having to be in the first 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

price690 wrote: »

If Anthony Stokes wasn't such a flute he'd walk into that squad.

What now ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I think Murphy and McGeady should never play for Ireland again.

McGeady looks past it, not that he ever had it consistently anyways.

Murphy has been given too many chances to show what he can do & is a constant disappointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

What now ???

I'd only have Long and Walters as being clear of him in terms of use.

We have some rubbish strikers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It's been very well touted in the media at this stage about Westwood pulling out of certain squads for one reason or another, and general unreliability around the camp. Whether he's in the right or wrong, O'Neill clearly has concerns about it. Hard to take peoples opinions about his inclusion seriously when they haven't even heard of the above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Gas thread.

Leave Messi at home cos he gets a bit mardy. Reyt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    It's been very well touted in the media at this stage about Westwood pulling out of certain squads for one reason or another, and general unreliability around the camp. Whether he's in the right or wrong, O'Neill clearly has concerns about it. Hard to take peoples opinions about his inclusion seriously when they haven't even heard of the above

O'Neill fell out with Westwood because he refused to play with flu for Sunderland against Manchester City in 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gas thread.

Leave Messi at home cos he gets a bit mardy. Reyt.
    I'd leave Messi at home, he isn't eligible to play!!! :D

Hulk Hands wrote: »

How many squads has James McCarthy pulled out of? Sounds like double standards to me.

It's all due to the fact that MON fell out with him at Sunderland I'd imagine which is awful stubborn on MON's part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Hard to take someone with a username hulk hands seriously if you ask me ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement