Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-Worker calling me "pet" !!!

Options
  • 31-05-2016 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am in my mid-thirties.
    This one is 40 and is always calling me this.
    She knows it annoys me too.I have made it known.
    She doesn't call anyone else it.

I am the quietest in the office and know this has been discussed

Fully aware of the "looks" for two years now.

I can live with that but annoys me being called pet.
    Just do nothing or call her pet back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

How have you made it known? Have you asked her outright to stop calling you 'pet'? As in - 'please stop calling me pet, it is not appropriate and I don't like it'? If not, then you should do so, politely and firmly.

Not sure what you mean about the 'looks'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ask HR to have a word with them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Quite a while ago, I remember hearing of a similar situation.

The person on the receiving end of the equivalent of "pet" (in your circumstances) simply said "Why do you constantly refer to me as "pet"? You DO know I'm in my mid-30s... right?".

It wasn't a confrontation. It was more of an exploration of why the person using the word felt it was appropriate to use the word at all. It ended with an apology, forgiveness, and a little learning on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It's possible to look at it two ways:

1) The woman is being condescending/arrogant and thinks you are below her and therefore has the power to call you 'pet'.

2) She is a sweetheart/you are a sweetheart and she means no malice by saying it at all.

I'm a mid-20s male and have older women call me it sometimes in my place. I don't mind it but I think it would stick out like a sore thumb if someone was being condescending saying it to me.

From the sounds of it since you said you are the quietest person in the office, she genuinely does think you are a soft or kind person, therefore calling you pet is just being nice to you I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

She is not a sweetheart.She doesn't call it to anyone else.
    She definitely thinks I am below her.
    She is higher than me although started after me in the work place but does boss me around.Would never dream of doing that to the others.
    I don't mind that too much either but it's the pet use and her condescending manner.

I haven't asked her but I have ignored her and walked off when she has said it to me.She knows it irritates me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

First world problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

First world problem.

Do you have to be so unnecessarily rude? It might not seem like an issue to you but it's obviously bothering the OP, otherwise they wouldn't have posted about it.

OP I think you need to take the advice of the others here and the next time she says it to her, challenge her (in a polite way) on it. Preferably in the presence of other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

First world problem.

Is that so pet?

I'd go with what Shield mentioned above.

Be jovial without being confrontational. It might make her think twice about saying it again, or any "looks".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

If she calls you pet again, tell her you will make up a name for her - as it makes you uncomfortable...

And from here on in, she shall be known as "Flower" or "Petal" or something equally condescending ...

(My old Irish teacher used to call me that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

Kayy wrote: »
    I haven't asked her but I have ignored her and walked off when she has said it to me.She knows it irritates me.

This is not an effective way to get her to stop. You need to clearly say "Can you not call me pet, it's condescending and unnecessary" You need to be clear and direct.

• Advertisement

HelgaWard wrote: »
    This is not an effective way to get her to stop. You need to clearly say "Can you not call me pet, it's condescending and unnecessary" You need to be clear and direct.

I honestly don't think this is the route to take.

I'd reply with something like "thanks hon / love / etc". And keep doing that until she gets the gist.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

me_irl wrote: »

I'd reply with something like "thanks hon / love / etc". And keep doing that until she gets the gist.

Each to your own, but I think it's a very passive aggressive ambiguous approach. I personally think it's more effective to be clear and to the point.

me_irl wrote: »

I completely disagree. Why be passive aggressive, when you can be an adult and say it directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Electric Sex Pants

Or you could just toughen up a bit? there are far worse things you could be called, and the more you show it bothers you the more fun it is for people like that. Why does it bother you so much??

I completely disagree. Why be passive aggressive, when you can be an adult and say it directly?

True!

Personal preference really. I think my "fire with fire" approach could worsen the situation.

I'm just wary for the OP for saying something that might exacerbate this.

I think the main thing is to confront and break this pattern. The method is completely up to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I am in my mid-thirties.
    This one is 40 and is always calling me this.
    She knows it annoys me too.I have made it known.
    She doesn't call anyone else it.

I am the quietest in the office and know this has been discussed

Fully aware of the "looks" for two years now.

I can live with that but annoys me being called pet.
    Just do nothing or call her pet back?

You could go to HR but that would be really pet-ty (sorry) and it would probably backfire on you and create a bad atmosphere. You mention that you're quiet. Maybe this woman enjoys your reaction. There is a thin line between harmless slagging and bullying and this woman probably thinks she's only slagging you even though you told her it annoys you.

My advice - call her something like "Flower" every time she calls you "Pet". This is only an option if you're not working in the public eye in which case I would ignore her calling you "Pet".

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Could you just call her pet too. The next time she says can you do "xyz pet", you could say " yes pet".
    Keep it light and simple to see how she reacts.
    I do think she sounds like if its not one thing, its going to be another with her.
    Even when she is getting to you try not to show it as she obviously is doing it for a reason.
    Also maybe keep a written log from now on just to see how things develop, I hope she just gets bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Call her into a room and have a quiet word, saying you don't appreciate been called pet. If it doesn't stop go to HR. Simples, don't do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

She is higher than me although started after me in the work place but does boss me around.Would never dream of doing that to the others.
    I don't mind that too much either but it's the pet use and her condescending manner.

Whoah there chief

Is your problem that she calls you pet or is your problem actually all of the above?

It seems you have not actually raised the problem informally with the person to allow them to resolve it. That's the first step in any workplace for raising a grievance

You just walked away, which is classic passive agressive behaviour and could land you with a disciplinary problem (ignoring a legitimate instruction is the usual term)

basically cop on required.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It might not seem like an issue to you but it's obviously bothering the OP, otherwise they wouldn't have posted about it.

Every day, people post here with real issues. Unfair dismissal, change of conditions, being made redundant, wages not paid, can't make a decent living in the chosen career - the list goes on. Real hard, difficult problems.

This is a 30-something saying "someone calls me pet". Not a clueless kid fresh out of school, who might need advice about how to handle something like this in the workplace, but a 30-something.

I cannot begin to say how much it disgusts me that someone is wasting keystrokes over such trivia. Saying "First world problems" is a polite response compared to what I would like to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Some people just tend to address people with terms like that - it doesn't mean anything. Sounds to me like your being a bit precious to be honest.

My missus is always slagging me for calling every woman I meet love or sweetheart or some other such. It's not an insult, it's not even a term of endearment - it's just a bloody speech habit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I cannot begin to say how much it disgusts me that someone is wasting keystrokes over such trivia. Saying "First world problems" is a polite response compared to what I would like to say.

You obviously spend too much time on the internet so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Happened me in college once when I was carrying more weight than I wanted. One guy on a project team often addressed me as "big man" until I answered him back one day in front of the group.

"How's it going big man?"
    "Not too bad bald man."

He never said it again. Maybe harsh, but not everyone likes pet names. Using them with colleagues you're not particularly close with it is dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,746 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Start calling her "oul her first name" each and every time she calls you pet, eg she says to you "thanks pet", you response "no problem, oul Lucy*".

*where her first name is Lucy

That or morto her by saying that your pet dog was assasinated last week and you would appreciate her not using the term as it causes upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭anewme

"How's it going big man?"
    "Not too bad bald man."

This made me laugh.
    Its like something from a sitcom.
    Could just imagine everyone else just looking at the ground and an awkward silence ensuing.
    I can bet that was the end of it allright!

Every day, people post here with real issues. Unfair dismissal, change of conditions, being made redundant, wages not paid, can't make a decent living in the chosen career - the list goes on. Real hard, difficult problems.

This is a 30-something saying "someone calls me pet". Not a clueless kid fresh out of school, who might need advice about how to handle something like this in the workplace, but a 30-something.

Who are you to say what is and what isn't a valid problem for people? Is it set out in the charter that people can only post problems that Mrs OBumble considers "real"?

Even when people do post "real" problems you are regularly rude and abrasive. Reading your posts in here would put me (and I'm sure others) off posting questions or concerns.

You need to get a life if something like this "disgusts" you. If the thread doesn't interest you, ignore it and leave it to people who have actual helpful advice to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

beauf wrote: »
    Ask HR to have a word with them.

are you kidding me ? lol why not go the whole way and get the GARDA involved.

Its this type of advice that has our society the way it is..

The OP is an adult, get over it, or confront the person in question, or ignore her.. whatever works.. Its not the end of the world.. You have little to worry about if this is what you post as a WORK PROBLEM..

Personally I would be creative and come up with a pet name for her ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

At no point did OP say this was a third world problem for them so there is really no need to be rude.

If the post is not to your taste than maybe just exit the thread without having to resort to rudeness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

she called you pet, annoying to you, fair enough, others have given you great advise on how to approach it, (personally id go with Emme's or me_irl but im a bit like that not everyone wants to create tension or put themselves out there and it sounds like you both have a clash of personalities)

ignore the people here saying stupid stuff just coz everyone in their office loves them and theyve never had an difficulty in life and its all sunshine and rainbows and unicorns ****ting glitter. it doesnt make your problem any less, you asked for help not to be wound up. but bumble bee's are like that they buzz and buzz and annoy everyone until someone finally smushs them with a newspaper.
    technically you are? you say shes senior /higher than you so in her eyes you are under her in the reporting structure (a bit of power makes some people go a little cockoo). it doesnt make it right but just be wide of what youre saying and walking away from her etc, could cause you more trouble in the long term.

when she started doesnt matter if shes more senior than you, if its her job to boss you around ie give instruction then you kinda have to do them, thats your job to be fair. if she has a poor tone or manner speak to her and say im more productive when you ask me like this or i think we get on better when we speak to each other like this... if you dont want to speak to a manager or HR and get them to have a quiet word.

its one of those things, while we might not treat people that way, that is her way,and that doesnt make it right but it does mean you have to put up with it sometimes.

:-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

As someone who is regularly patronised and in turn disrespected on account of being young for the role I am in generally, and looking even younger, i can tell you it is a very real problem to feel talked down to and patronised by colleagues. I get the impression it is not the being called pet that is so much the issue,it's the condescending nature of this and the looks etc.

I had a really difficult time with people making assumptions when i first started and people made it known thay they did not think I was qualified for the position based on my age- in fairness i look like I'm just out of secondary school despite having gone on to study and work in the field for over 5 years after I left school! I personally chose to just let my work speak for itself and not address it directly, and this worked, those I work closely with now show me the respect I deserve, but I can tell you it was a very real problem at the time and it can eat away at you when you're actually in the situation and the last thing op needs is for you to patronise her further.

Advertisement