Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with kids

Options
  • 31-05-2016 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi

I bought house in quiet estate couple years ago. Last year everything was fine, nice neighbors etc. Few months ago kids from different estates start coming to play on our street. Its nice, wide with no traffic.

Now there is small problem.

I don't care if they playing around shouting running etc. Never said anything to them. But they started bulling. Leaving rubbish in our garden, scratched one of our cars that's parked outside. Destroyed our front garden flowers. Put someone's bin in front of our driveway. But the worst thing is that they knocking the doors and ringing the bell when my girlfriend is sleeping after night shift. That's bit too much.

The problem is that summer is coming and they will have too much free time...

I don't have kids and i'm not sure how to deal with them. I know that sometimes if I'll say too much it will be just worst. I talked with my neighbors and they don't know those kids and non of them live on our street. As well as they don't have any problems with them.

Any ideas what to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Build a wall with a tall gate around your house. Put a postbox in the wall. Lock the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

pwurple wrote: »
    Build a wall with a tall gate around your house. Put a postbox in the wall. Lock the gate.

If the OP wanted to live in a prison I'm sure they could have done so at the states expense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

You're gonna have to confront them. Tell them to f off outta the place or they're gonna get a size 10 up the hole.

I had the same experience bought in a nice estate year later they started drifting in innocently kicking ball at first. Approached them to ask did they live in the estate" what's it to you?" was the answer.

Told them the first fella would get a size 10 up the hole the next in the head if I saw them again. These 6 lads could had me there and then but I think I got lucky in that I talked down the ringleader. I wouldn't have touched them but they weren't to know that.

Just reread your post again OP probably a bit late for that now. Any way you can identify these guys or where they live? A quick spin around a few times from the local patrol car might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Talk to the community garda for the area.

And local politicians - especially those ones who have a reputation for dealing with local problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

abcCORK87 wrote: »
    Hi

I bought house in quiet estate couple years ago. Last year everything was fine, nice neighbors etc. Few months ago kids from different estates start coming to play on our street. Its nice, wide with no traffic.

Now there is small problem.

I don't care if they playing around shouting running etc. Never said anything to them. But they started bulling. Leaving rubbish in our garden, scratched one of our cars that's parked outside. Destroyed our front garden flowers. Put someone's bin in front of our driveway. But the worst thing is that they knocking the doors and ringing the bell when my girlfriend is sleeping after night shift. That's bit too much.

The problem is that summer is coming and they will have too much free time...

I don't have kids and i'm not sure how to deal with them. I know that sometimes if I'll say too much it will be just worst. I talked with my neighbors and they don't know those kids and non of them live on our street. As well as they don't have any problems with them.

Any ideas what to do?

1) The fact you've come to boards asking for advice on this likely indicates you are not comfortable dealing with the situation. So as a first port of call, your area has a Garda community officer. They are a pretty good bunch that keep in tabs with the local community, especially under age groups. They can typically do a drive around and grab a few names and speak to parents. Not sure the area your in, but from experience most parents will be mortified and address the issue with their kids and that will be it.

2) Again taking from you've come here for advise, I take it your not comfortable with dealing with the situation. You could do the "ah would yas **** off to the green" sort of craic, and then you become the bastard for the local kids. That will likely bring some grief come Halloween etc. But if its REALLY annoying you, might work.

3) You could try literally have a non confrontational chat. If your walking in one evening and see them kicking a ball, ask for a pass or something. Some minor involvement could change the entire situation. Even a "hows the lads" as you walk by some evening and their playing. Kids are impressionable. I know as a kid the adults who treated us like **** were the first ones that got pelted with Eggs on Halloween or we just thought were arseholes. The adults who had a little kick about, or even just said hi were " dead sound" and never got hassle.

And we weren't terriers, nothing more then normal kids. But its how kids are.

I just moved house, but in the old estate there was a pretty significant child/teen population. We had a baby arrive onto the scene and teens would gather around the corner of our house(we were on a main road) and when things got a little loud I just went out and asked if they could find somewhere else to hang. Was received fine and not problems.

ON the run up to our first Halloween we started to get egg'd by another group. Again big main house on the main road easy target. Anticipating the onslaught, me and the GF got ourselves some eggs and when groups of teens started to come up the road got ourselves ready. One group let fly and we burst open the door and started pelting them. It was a good laugh, and whenever I'd see the group coming in from work I'd give a hi and get one back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement