Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a.....pump!!

• 31-05-2016 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I'd like a new pump for myself out on the road. I had one of those small yokes and they are absolutely hopeless at getting tyres up to the right pressure. So I invested in a bigger pump, but she's a heavy beast and takes up the space of a water bottle bolted onto the frame.

So what would ye recommend? Something nice and tidy, and useful! I'm running 28mm tyres if that any help regarding the pressures I'd need in the event of a puncture

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Howdy,

I'd like a new pump for myself out on the road. I had one of those small yokes and they are absolutely hopeless at getting tyres up to the right pressure. So I invested in a bigger pump, but she's a heavy beast and takes up the space of a water bottle bolted onto the frame.

So what would ye recommend? Something nice and tidy, and useful! I'm running 28mm tyres if that any help regarding the pressures I'd need in the event of a puncture

I use co2 cylinders. They fit right in the saddle bag and had me inflated to 120psi really quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Co2 inflater and a small mini-pump. Topeak are pretty good pumps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

I've seen a lot of positive reviews on these boards for the lezyne mini pumps. Supposed to be very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Topeak pocket rocket. A mini pump but it works really well in my experience. I don't bother with co2 any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭G1032

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If you go CO2 I'd get a decent mini pump as well as suggested, as they don't run out of air when you're stuck in the middle of nowhere. One advantage worth considering running slightly wider tyres, e.g. 25 rather than 23, is you need a bit less pressure in them. I used to run 105/95 psi on 25mm durano plus, and pumping them up was no biggy as it is the last few psi between 110 and 120 that will give you the heartache. FWIW, I've used this pump over the years and found it excellent and well priced. Push on valve also means you're not going to inadvertent unscrew the valve core roadside.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I only ever use a CO2 pump on the road. Don't see the need for anything else

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

+1 for topeak pocket rocket. I settled for this one after using some useless crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Brian? wrote: »

How much CO2 would be left if you got a puncture 10km into a 300/400km ride.

Not sure but OP may ride audax.

I have a Lezyne mounted on frame, really good pump, but being frame mounted(at bottle cage) it picks up a lot of muck. So if you go that way clean and lube it every so often. Don't learn the hard way like me; 3C, heavy rain and dark when I learnt last December ☺

ford2600 wrote: »
    How much CO2 would be left if you got a puncture 10km into a 300/400km ride.

Plus punctures tend to be like 46a busses. You wouldn't see one in ages, then all of a sudden three in rapid succession. Notably on small back roads with black thorn hedges around hedge cutting season. Punctures that is, not 46as ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

When fitting a new tube, I always use a pump to inflate the tube just enough so its takes its shape. I then fit the tube (sometimes you have to deflate the tube as you get more of the tyre on the rim) and inflate the tyre just enough so I can check that the tube is seated correctly. Only then do I use the CO inflator. (Learnt this lesson the hard way after blowing up two tubes!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭jamesd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

My recommendation would be to invest in a small good quality pump. Like this Lezyne Pressure Drive Mini Pump for example - I have the small (170mm) link
    - and it's really very small indeed. What also makes this pump very usable is that it doesn't connect directly to the valve but through a flexible connector. the direct connect ones tend to snap off the valve when you're struggling to get the last few psi in :mad:

I keep it in my saddlebag and use it only when I have a puncture. Sure, it takes a bit of time to pump up the tyre but seeing as this might only waste 10 minutes of my life every year or so, I really don't mind.

I used CO2 canisters but - as above - they don't work for every occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Another vote for the Lezyne Pressure Drive. Accept no substitutes!

I've tried a lot of other pumps before settling on the Lezyne (SKS, Wrench Force, BBB, etc.) and none of the other ones were worth a damn when trying to get a tube back to near operating pressure. The pump is small enough to jam in a back pocket if you don't fancy the fairly flimsy holder which attaches at the bottle cage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The Oxford mini-pump (the aluminium one) is ok, and it's not expensive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Here you go (you did say pimp didn't you ?????)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    When fitting a new tube, I always use a pump to inflate the tube just enough so its takes its shape. I then fit the tube (sometimes you have to deflate the tube as you get more of the tyre on the rim) and inflate the tyre just enough so I can check that the tube is seated correctly. Only then do I use the CO inflator. (Learnt this lesson the hard way after blowing up two tubes!)

I partially inflate the tube with my lungs. It takes a couple of seconds and I've never lost a tube to being pinched in the tyre.

As for the earlier question about Audux riding, carry 3 CO2 cartridges, they're small. I carry 3 on any spin. 1 in the pump, 2 in my pockets.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

One word of warning when using the Lezyne Pressure Drive. If your valve cores are not screwed tightly into the valve outer, undoing the connector tube can screw the valve core out. Not the end of the world, but a bit frustrating. Great pump otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What's wrong with an old fashioned bicycle pump?
    Only a yoyo http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-pumps/halfords-essentials-basic-bike-pump
    Snubbleste does not endorse this pump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

snubbleste wrote: »
    What's wrong with an old fashioned bicycle pump?
    Only a yoyo http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-pumps/halfords-essentials-basic-bike-pump
    Snubbleste does not endorse this pump

Nothing in theory. Depends on your needs. You would need to satisfy yourself that out will fit somewhere on your frame. Also, if you are riding a road bike with narrow, high pressure tyres, that pump may not get up to the necessary pressures. A final factor, which may not be an issue for you is that putting an old fashioned pump on a modern road bike, would be considered "unfashionable" with some in these parts.

• Advertisement

Plus the old fashioned pump is likely to be set up for schrader valves whereas you're more likely to have presta valves on tubes in your road bike. Most decent mini-pumps such as the lifeline linked in my previous post support both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

My mini pump is lighter than co2 inflator+two cylinders (I checked) and it is easy to accidentally waste a cylinder/have multiple punctures. Pump plus CO2 is an option but I like to minimise the stuff in my pockets so I chooser the lighter more versatile option which is a mini-pump I think.

My mini pump is lighter than co2 inflator+two cylinders (I checked) and it is easy to accidentally waste a cylinder/have multiple punctures. Pump plus CO2 is an option but I like to minimise the stuff in my pockets so I chooser the lighter more versatile option which is a mini-pump I think.

Does your mini pump inflate a tube as quickly as co2? Your mini pump may be decent but if I'm only going to carry one, it'll be co2

How small is your pump, most of the pumps being recommended are frame mounted monstrosities. Bottle cages are the only accessory I'll mount to my frame. Anything else is a horror show, my beautiful carbon doesn't deserve it.

they/them/theirs

How small is your pump, most of the pumps being recommended are frame mounted monstrosities. Bottle cages are the only accessory I'll mount to my frame. Anything else is a horror show, my beautiful carbon doesn't deserve it.

The principal frame mounted monstrosity on my bike is the engine. Nothing comes close to competing so not really an issue ;)

Advertisement