Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good gaming PC build

Options
  • 31-05-2016 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys!
    Looking to build my first gaming pc, I've been doing my research for the past few months but thought it'd be a good idea to ask the pros haha. I want to go down the Intel and Nvidia path that's my only real requests.

Also, where would be the best place to get the parts, and would you recommend buying them in one go or bit by bit?

1. What is your budget? Around €1200

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming mainly, I want to be able to play any game decently. Hoping to do an animation course soon, so possibly things to do with that...

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 24" (but I'm not too picky)

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard and mouse

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No preference, but not if it makes the price go up

8. How can you pay? Credit card/bank transfer/paypal

9. When are you purchasing? This summer

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No help needed

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Core i5 6400: €170
    B150 Motherboard: €80
    8GB DDR4 2133MHz: €30
    (Boot drive) 128GB SSD: €40
    (Storage Drive) 1TB HDD: €45
    (Add later) 128GB SSD for animation software and projects: €40
    AMD Polaris 10: €220-€320
    NZXT S340/Phanteks P400/etc: €80
    500W XFX PSU: €65
    Windows Key on Kinguin: (OEM version will be sent as a picture, get a refund if you get plain text): €30
    1080p IPS Monitor: €140
    (You're left with around €200 for keyboard and mouse. I'd say pick up a decent membrane keyboard for around €20 and the Steelseries Rival 100 for €35)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rosiepieee

Thanks! That's close to what I was settling on. Any idea how AMD Polaris 10 will compare to a gtx 970?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The R9 480 is supposedly on par with a 970 so Polaris should be leagues ahead

The R9 480 is supposedly on par with a 970 so Polaris should be leagues ahead

The 480 IS Polaris :D:D

But yeah, the 480 is beating out a 390 at stock (which itself beats a 970) and there are pics of the 480 beating both cards at 1066Mhz...which is 180MHz below the confirmed driver pic of the Polaris card.
    So I assume, with architectural improvements, driver improvements and a mild OC, the 480 will probably creep up, or pass out a 390X/980.

Ah its only the Polaris lite, I mean the big boy cards :D

*Disclaimer* As a student I'll have to live on pasta for a month to afford Polaris Lite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Ah its only the Polaris lite, I mean the big boy cards :D

*Disclaimer* As a student I'll have to live on pasta for a month to afford Polaris Lite

Oh boo hoo! was rocking a pentium 4 with integrated graphics in my final year college, was almost maxing out Age of Empires/Warcraft 3 at 1280 x 1024! Didnt even have a PCI Express or AGP slot on the motherboard! The worst part was how much it cost at the time :pac:

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Oh boo hoo! was rocking a pentium 4 with integrated graphics in my final year college, was almost maxing out Age of Empires/Warcraft 3 at 1280 x 1024! Didnt even have a PCI Express or AGP slot on the motherboard! The worst part was how much it cost at the time :pac:

"Back in my day, we had to crank a handle on the side of our PC every time we wanted a new frame. Had to walk 7 miles to college every morning, barefoot. It was 9 miles coming back, uphill both ways"

PCIe is hardly that old is it?

Also I'll stop pissing about OP sorry :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

"Back in my day, we had to crank a handle on the side of our PC every time we wanted a new frame. Had to walk 7 miles to college every morning, barefoot. It was 9 miles coming back, uphill both ways"

PCIe is hardly that old is it?

Also I'll stop pissing about OP sorry :p

Dont forget the snow and rain!

Not sure when it came in, im thinking with the launch of core 2 possibly? This was around 2005, core 2 had just launched i think, or not long after.

That Rx 480 really looks like it will have the midrange sewn up until the 1060 launches, though i remain skeptical until there are some at least semi independent reviews up. Any idea when they are due (the reviews i mean)?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Dont forget the snow and rain!

Not sure when it came in, im thinking with the launch of core 2 possibly? This was around 2005, core 2 had just launched i think, or not long after.

That Rx 480 really looks like it will have the midrange sewn up until the 1060 launches, though i remain skeptical until there are some at least semi independent reviews up. Any idea when they are due (the reviews i mean)?

1060 won't launch for a while. Reason being is nVidia uses 364mm2 chips for the 1080, and cuts them down to make 1070s, which are at the minimum CUDA count of that design.
    So, nVidia need to make a new chip specifically for the 1060 and below, on a process that is far from mature and is quite hot in comparison to 28nm.

So, I do believe the 1060/1050 are on their way, just not until September/October at least. I.e, the Vega launch

Advertisement