Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving skills

• 31-05-2016 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭

Any of you O&O's in fear of becoming a doddery oul eejit behind the wheel ?
    My darling sons were slagging me about a recent drive I did and apparently I was driving like an oul wan. In my defence I was driving from Dingle to Tralee at night. My critics were 'looking after my best interests', they want me to stay sharp and not turn doddery on the road.
    Apparently it's a mortal sin to say you hate driving at night time.
    According to them I'm FAR too young to start losing my normally sharp driving skills.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I love driving but I'm first to admit that oulfolk need to have competency checks every couple of years, like an NCT of your driving ability. The check doesn't have to be the full driving test, it should be more of a refresher driving lesson than a rigorous test. I'd say test at the ages of 70, 75 and 80 and then every two years hence.

Who knows, I might have finally gotten my (long self-promised) Jag by then.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

From Citizen's Information website:

Duration of licence

The period of time a driving licence is issued for depends on the age of the applicant. There are 4 age brackets that the period of a licence falls under.
    • If you are under 60 years of age, you may apply for a 10-year licence or a 3-year (on medical grounds)
    • If you are older than 60 but younger than 67 years of age, you may apply for a licence that will expire the day before your 70th birthday
    • If you are older than 67 but under 70 years of age, you may apply for a 3-year licence
    • If you are over the age of 70, you will need a certification of fitness to drive from your doctor to apply for a 3-year or a one-year licence

Do all over 70's answer the doctor's questions truthfully though?

I still drive on my UK license. It covers me into my 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

jos28 wrote: »
    Any of you O&O's in fear of becoming a doddery oul eejit behind the wheel ?.
    Not getting doddery but am becoming a bit of a Victor Meldrew, which is taking away from my enjoyment of driving, can't stop noting others and my own faults behind the wheel. Went for a good spin on the Bank holiday just gone (200 mile) and a mistake i made on the home straight spoiled it for me.

My Mum, who has never had any issue over the years is now constantly questioning whether she would be able to go wherever, after some assurance, off she goes, no bother.
    OldGoat wrote: »
    I still drive on my UK license. It covers me into my 80's.

Just looked at mine and it goes to 69, I presume there is some tests after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Not getting doddery but am becoming a bit of a Victor Meldrew, which is taking away from my enjoyment of driving, can't stop noting others and my own faults behind the wheel. Went for a good spin on the Bank holiday just gone (200 mile) and a mistake i made on the home straight spoiled it for me.

I shouldn't be in this part of the forum, but I couldn't help replying. Driving standards over the last few years have slipped dramatically with virtually no Gardai out there to notice. In actual fact while the standard of roads have improved, the quality of driving has dropped and unfortunately we have to be even sharper on the roads nowadays to account for it.

And yes, I find myself having a good whinge about bad drivers too.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just looked at mine and it goes to 69, I presume there is some tests after that

Just a medical clearance needed from your GP annually.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I shouldn't be in this part of the forum, but I couldn't help replying. Driving standards over the last few years have slipped dramatically with virtually no Gardai out there to notice. In actual fact while the standard of roads have improved, the quality of driving has dropped and unfortunately we have to be even sharper on the roads nowadays to account for it.

And yes, I find myself having a good whinge about bad drivers too.:pac:

You are absolutely correct pablo. There isn't a day goes by but I see drivers breaking red lights, and I don't mean just narrowly squeaking through. Regularly I see cars actually stopped at a red traffic light but after about 30 seconds or so decide to just go, no patience to wait a minute or two. Once I was driving in the left lane down the motorway. Up ahead I saw a car in the far right lane STOP (yes, on the motorway!!) and slowly moseyed across three lanes to exit the motorway. Craaazy driving! And frightening.

We need a return of the Public Information films on driving skills, rights, laws and etiquette. :)
    Think once, think twice...THINK (slams hand on table) BIKE!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

My Mum, who has never had any issue over the years is now constantly questioning whether she would be able to go wherever, after some assurance, off she goes, no bother.

Great timing! She reversed into the side of the house this evening :D.

Have been out rearranging stuff in the yard to make turning easier. Should have done so, for everyone's benefit, ages ago.

Was concerned she would be questioning herself again but on her return she was in great form, we agreed it was my fault, so all is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Well, I'm 70 and have just bought a Harley Davidson motorcycle. Unfortunately, I have difficulty throwing my leg over the seat - but I get there eventually.

The bike is a 1340 cc and insurance is €700 as I haven't ridden a bike in about 15 years. I checked for insurance for a BMW scooter, 650 cc and was quoted €1700. No brainer as to why I chose the HD. Many other makes and models were just ruled out as I couldn't get insurance on them.

Having droped it while stopped, twice, I took a couple of hours bike lessons and they have served me well.

• Advertisement

Well, I'm 70 and have just bought a Harley Davidson motorcycle. Unfortunately, I have difficulty throwing my leg over the seat - but I get there eventually.......

Oh Wow! My hero! (flutters eyelashes rapidly at campingcarist even not knowing if you are a female woman or not! Now, where did I put me ledders all dem years ago.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Male!!!!!!!!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Oh Wow! My hero! (flutters eyelashes rapidly at campingcarist even not knowing if you are a female woman or not! Now, where did I put me ledders all dem years ago.)
    ...and now I'm thinking of Marianne Faithful and "Girl on a motorcycle".

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

I re-read my post, meant to say 'male' not 'female'. How embarrassing.:o:D
    Male!!!!!!!!

ME FEMALE!!!
    Himself still has the ledders in the attic. One day we might get a Yamma-rarrrh, or a Suziyooky and head out on the road again. Must be time for another road movie and as Peter (http://www.peterfonda.com/) is a busy man maybe we could take the lead roles. I could be da moll! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

^
    Well Holy God, look what I've started :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Yes, and well done :D.

Although we are a tad off topic methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

jos28 wrote: »
    Any of you O&O's in fear of becoming a doddery oul eejit behind the wheel ?
    My darling sons were slagging me about a recent drive I did and apparently I was driving like an oul wan. In my defence I was driving from Dingle to Tralee at night. My critics were 'looking after my best interests', they want me to stay sharp and not turn doddery on the road.
    Apparently it's a mortal sin to say you hate driving at night time.
    According to them I'm FAR too young to start losing my normally sharp driving skills.

I know that road - it's awful. I, too, hate driving at night.

I presume that your critics, in "looking after your best interests" had contributed to the task by

cleaning your lights
    adjusting the aim of your beams to cater for added weight
    cleaning your windscreen inside and out
    checking your tyre conditions and pressures (with added weight in mind)
    Belting up - in all senses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I am a doddery old fool with a Fangio complex behind the wheel. As it happens the DVLA has taken my licence off me for medical reasons and I am trying to get it back. Luckily I am still allowed to drive while they sort it out.

Just wish I had a faster car......... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

garancafan wrote: »
    I know that road - it's awful. I, too, hate driving at night.

I presume that your critics, in "looking after your best interests" had contributed to the task by

cleaning your lights
    adjusting the aim of your beams to cater for added weight
    cleaning your windscreen inside and out
    checking your tyre conditions and pressures (with added weight in mind)
    Belting up - in all senses!
    Hee Hee !!

They are not bad in fairness and have avoided me going to the garage on lots of occasions. Despite all the messing I can see their point, they want me to stay sharp(keep the nursing home bill to a minimum :D).
    My biggest driving problem is my lack of height, I'm 5ft zero and no matter how much seat adjusting I do I still don't have the same vision that other people do. I have tried cushions, seat risers..........none of them work properly. No one can fit in a car seat after I've adjusted it ! My motorway driving is good, I'm fast and use all the lanes correctly. I am alert and enjoy that type of driving. It's the tighter spots and city driving that I find my confidence waning. I just find that at judging distances and general day to day driving I'm not as sharp as I should be.
    I know that's probably a lame excuse and I should go and do an advanced driving course.

• Advertisement

Rubecula wrote: »
    I am a doddery old fool with a Fangio complex behind the wheel.

Fangio's birthday today. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

OldGoat wrote: »
    Fangio's birthday today. :)

One of my heroes OG. Drivers back then were skillful in many forms of racing and as brave as lions.

Advertisement