Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help me! I need advice! LC Subject choice

Options
  • 31-05-2016 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there,

I will be going into 5th Year in September and I need advice. I've already picked my subjects for the LC but I am unsure of them. They will be English, Irish, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, History and French.
    I don't really know what I want to do yet after school but I did do work experience in a Pharmacy and I really enjoyed it. Points are high for the course though and I'm wondering have I picked very hard subjects to try and get the 555 or 560 needed for the course? The only reason I pciked Chemistry was for Pharmacy.
    Also, I didn't pick a business subject, I went with History instead as I enjoy it but now I'm wondering, should I change it to Business so that I have the option of doing a Business related course in University?
    I also want to mention that I got an A in HL science, an A in HL History and only a B in HL Business for the Junior Cert.

So should i change my History to Business Studies? I really have no idea of anything I want to do yet after school so I'm wondering should I keep my options open by picking it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can do many subjects at university without having done them for the Leaving. If you like and enjoy History, stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

As far as I know business subjects aren't a requirement to any business courses. I know a girl in my year is hoping to do Commerce next year and she hasn't done any Business subject since third year. Go with History if you enjoy it because it'll be much easier to study something you enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Niamhk21

If you enjoy history, it's an interesting and enjoyable subject. The history project is also relatively easy if you work hard. Many people are going on to do business etc. but don't do business in school, it is is no way a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jkeaney

I'm in 5th year, and i do business and history. I like them both but in my opinion the history course is more interesting and i find it easier to study. You can still do a business related course in college, without having done it for the LC :) and definitely keep on chemistry cause it's needed for a lot of science courses

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Do what you enjoy. It's unlikely that you'll gain a love for business and want to pursue it if you don't want to do it for the Leaving Cert. If you think you would genuinely prefer Business, change it but otherwise, I would stick with History.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

It's a while since I did the Leaving Cert but I did study both History and Business. One thing that stood out massively is that History required far far more of my time throughout the year (including exam-time) than Business did. It's a thought-provoking, interesting subject, but be mindful of the amount of time it could take from other subjects. I would recommend Business for this reason, and because of the importance of the subject generally. Best of luck.

Advertisement