Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to citywest from city centre quays?

Options
  • 01-06-2016 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Hi, i'm thinking of taking a job in citywest. The only problem is that I'm concerned my commute would be hell?

I would be leaving from o'connell street/quays in city centre. I've noticed there is a private bus that claims to leave at 8.10am and have you in citywest for 8.50am.

Does anyone take this route and is it reliable? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Pink11 wrote: »
    Hi, i'm thinking of taking a job in citywest. The only problem is that I'm concerned my commute would be hell?

I would be leaving from o'connell street/quays in city centre. I've noticed there is a private bus that claims to leave at 8.10am and have you in citywest for 8.50am.

Does anyone take this route and is it reliable? Thanks in advance!

Surely the luas is the obvious answer? Not traffic dependent. Buses can never be reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Luas is your prime option depending where in Citywest. The 77a also goes out that way but is hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Thanks I looked into the LUAS alright first. I'd have a walk of 25 minutes from the citywest stop to the office on top of the journey. I can only assume the LUAS takes a good 30 minutes too so just wondered if there was a faster option. (I've no problems walking - I currently walk 45 minutes to work. I just want the fastest possible commute that's all).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thanks I looked into the LUAS alright first. I'd have a walk of 25 minutes from the citywest stop to the office on top of the journey. I can only assume the LUAS takes a good 30 minutes too so just wondered if there was a faster option. (I've no problems walking - I currently walk 45 minutes to work. I just want the fastest possible commute that's all).

Luas gets priority over traffic. Much more reliable. Bus susceptible to traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I used to commute from Fatima to Citywest each day for 18 months, Luas was by far my best option, talking 40 mins from stop to stop. I was in Citywest Business Campus.

77a from Cork St to Citywest you were talking over an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Great thanks guys - great to get some opinions. I'd be much more comfortable taking the LUAS rather than sitting on a bus panicking every morning!

I'll get a nice walk in every morning to wake me up too!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

The Luas takes around 40 minutes to get from the city centre to the Citywest Campus stop.

https://m.luas.ie/times/journey-times-calculator.html

There's a free shuttle bus from the Citywest Campus stop that drives past many of the offices in Citywest. It might save you a walk on a rainy day.

http://www.citywestcampus.com/getting_there/BusTimetable2013.pdf

Good luck with the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'd say go luas for reliability. Outside of peak hours you might get a faster bus on certain days but there's no consistency. The luas will take the same time every day within +/-3 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

You could get a fold up bike to bring on the luas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

69 bus goes right through Citywest Business Campus. Think the terminus is at Fleet Street these days.

Be warned though, it takes a bit of a circuitous route out from town. You can be looking at over an hour at peak times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You could get a fold up bike to bring on the luas?

No bikes are allowed on the Luas, even fold up ones. The drivers are actively enforcing this now big time. They won't leave a stop unless people remove their bikes from the tram.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Can I take a bicycle on board the tram?

Only collapsible bicycles stored in a carrier bag may be brought on board. Otherwise no bicycles are allowed. This is stated in our Bye Laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I live in the City Centre, and work in CityWest.

Here are my options:

1) Bus. I didn't even entertain it, I hate buses.

2) Luas. I've done this a few times from James' Street, and it's grand. Think it took me about 30mins in and the same back. I've a 10min walk to the Luas stop from home.

3) Cycle. Surprisingly pleasant. Out through Inchicore, then up the canal as far as the R136, then up that, over the N7 flyover, and into Citywest from there. Off road cycle lanes 80% of the way. about 40mins in, 35mins home (downhill). I've been injured for a while though so have been..

4) Driving. Straight out the Naas Road and up the N7. 25mins max in the mornings.. but anything up to 45mins on the way home due to the way the Luas crosses at the canal and on James' Street. 2 traffic lanes into one causes tailbacks that would break your heart.

Cycling is my preferred option, but I don't know if that's feasible for yourself.

Tbh, the commute out and back isn't all that bad. Personally, I find CityWest itself a windblown hellhole. Just my personal opinion though. I know some people who like working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Personally, I find CityWest itself a windblown hellhole. Just my personal opinion though. I know some people who like working there.

Yeah, that's how I remember it.What's the lunchtime options there? Still just a spar and a coffee shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Yeah, that's how I remember it.What's the lunchtime options there? Still just a spar and a coffee shop?

Spar, coffee shop, another cafe/restaurant I've never been in, close to the 'lake'. And a few places in the Citywest SC. A mexican burritto place has just opened in the new petrol station which looks good in fairness.

I just found after working in the city, it was a major change of environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I live in Smithfield and work in the business campus. It's luas all the way for me and the commute isn't that bad. It's about 50 - 55mins door to door for me all going well. The bus is a nightmare as I had discovered during the strikes. As another poster mentioned there is a free shuttle bus that picks up at the luas stop every morning so that may be an option if it stops anywhere close to your office. My walk is only about 10mins to the office so don't get this myself.

I'd obv much prefer to work in the city centre for many reasons but I've no problem working out here and doing the daily commute.

Advertisement