Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options
  • 01-06-2016 3:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

The figures provided suggested roughly half the performance of the 1080. (They reckon in AotS the 1080 gets 59FPS and 2x RX 480's in Xfire gets 62FPS*)

'Premium' cooler design - e.g. nicked the Fury cooler.

Specs Slide

TFLOPS > 5
    CUs 36
    Mem Bandwidth 256
    Mem size 4/8GB GDDR5
    256 Bit (Bus presumably)
    150W Power

Further on:

Then we get a summary at $100 - $300... reckon the 8GB will be the $300 (Seems early articles say the €199 is 4GB - still looks like a cracking 1080p card then!)

The presenters really were the very definition of cringe.

Huge focus on the hardware/software (DX12 mainly) partnership.

My own take:

Potentially a card with c.77% (based on TFLOPS) of the performance of the 1070, with hopefully better thermals at $199 could be very interesting if AMD manage to turn nVidia's own game against them and optimise DX12 and see Vulkan implemented giving better performance. No mention of any VR specific technologies.

*There was a very odd suggestion that the 2x RX480s were only running at 51% which makes no sense - why not run one at 100% then.

Anandtech link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭thegreenbean

Nice, I hope that price is real, two of those lads in xfire matching a 1080/70 for half the price. Since I don't care about VR, this is a serious release for me. Love it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Nice, I hope that price is real, two of those lads in xfire matching a 1080/70 for half the price. Since I don't care about VR, this is a serious release for me. Love it

I also don't care for VR, and am sticking with 1080p. While I'd been set on a 1070, I am holding to see what AMD release and what sort of performance they provide along with pricing.

I have the money to grab whatever, but I wouldn't be adverse to saving a few quid if I can. I'm also looking at a 144hz monitor that will likely set me back €250-300 so if AMD's offering is similar to a 1070 for cheaper, I might well be tempted.

Look forward to seeing benches and game benchmarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Not a huge amount of reviews yet for these. Maybe later today or tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Not a huge amount of reviews yet for these. Maybe later today or tomorrow

Nearer the end of the month I think - the card isn't actually released yet. :(

Performancewise I think this is going to be closer to the 970 for €200ish inc VAT.

I'm dying to know how much headroom it has - could potentially be a beast of an overclocker - the estimated core clock seems very low.

Cool, I have a 390x that is going back under RMA for shocking coil whine and am wondering which card will be its replacement for 1440p gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Was reading that two of these in crossfire outperform a 1080 on DX12 Ashes of the Singularity. Makes for a damned interesting price proposition. Make you wonder why Nvidia is trailing AMD so badly on DX12 and Vulcan performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Was reading that two of these in crossfire outperform a 1080 on DX12 Ashes of the Singularity. Makes for a damned interesting price proposition. Make you wonder why Nvidia is trailing AMD so badly on DX12 and Vulcan performance.

Yup saw this doing the rounds

ktWdhNFl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Was reading that two of these in crossfire outperform a 1080 on DX12 Ashes of the Singularity.

I think that is AMD's equivalent of Nvidia saying 'look are overclocked 1080 has low temperatures'. Yes in one unique instance it might be faster but in everyday use the 1080 will probably be better.

Truthfully the price is the only thing that will sell this. It will lower the price of an entry level VR capable PC, and as a result of that AMD could be onto a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I can't help but feel underwhelmed... Like AMD is punching too low here. 970 performance for 200 is really nice. I get the idea of bringing VR to the masses, but considering a 970 is the minimum for a good VR experience, you really need to be saying "This beats a 970" very strongly. I don't know. I think they just aren't marketing this correctly. The more I read the more interesting it looks, but the fact that I have to dig is just a bad reflection on the marketing. Maybe the pressure to get something into Computex was too soon, but they really needed some more details to rub in NVidia's face.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Xenoronin wrote: »
    I can't help but feel underwhelmed... Like AMD is punching too low here. 970 performance for 200 is really nice. I get the idea of bringing VR to the masses, but considering a 970 is the minimum for a good VR experience, you really need to be saying "This beats a 970" very strongly. I don't know. I think they just aren't marketing this correctly. The more I read the more interesting it looks, but the fact that I have to dig is just a bad reflection on the marketing. Maybe the pressure to get something into Computex was too soon, but they really needed some more details to rub in NVidia's face.

Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if their resources and energy are still going into the PC GPU market. Considering they have like, all the consoles which is surely a much bigger market for them, and if I'm not mistaken they also won the Apple contract, I wouldn't be overly surprised if they just provided "an option" to the PC market and focused their attention on the areas where they are really the powerhouse.

So many companies go through that phase, where they re-align resources and energies into really dominating the markets they have the edge in already.

Obviously as PC users we need competition, but when I first saw the 1080 and 1070 pricing, my initial reaction was Nvidia probably know that most PC gamers will be picking up Nvidia, and AMD were likely not going to be up to much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

This is a no brainer for me. My R9 270 has served me well, but one of these will keep me going for the next few years. Time to start saving:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

I really wonder what their top end card is going to look like. Until Nvidia gets its head around the new APIs we may be seeing an AMD64 - Pentium 4 situation. For one generation the number 2 brand becomes the performance king.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

It looks like performance is between a 390x and fury x, $199 for 4GB model, $250 for 8GB? Serious performance for the price. Very aggressive from amd.

Wonder will there be a 490 or 490x, that might be the top end card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Looks like my assumption that Nvidia wins the top end and AMD wins the midrange/volume market might be playing out then.

I think that's fair enough, anything's better than the unholy confusing mess buyers have had the last few years with all AMD's rebadging.

Decent performance at 200 quid 1080p or 144 Hz gaming is the sales sweet spot,I suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

HowAreWe wrote: »
    Yup saw this doing the rounds

ktWdhNFl.jpg

That's all well and good for benchmarking but the at the moment the reality is

1) Bugger all games coming out in the foreseeable future are using DX12

2) SLI/Crossfire is still not supported very well in the majority of games

AMD could be onto a winner if single card performance is not crazy far behind a 1070 and the 8GB model hits a $250ish price point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would say it would be a good bit slower.

I'm sure that graph uses an example where crossfire scaling is excellent - which doesn't happen all that often, truth be told.

But let's assume from that, that an individual card would score 31fps versus the 1080's 58.

Looking at 1070 benchmarks and working out performance as a rough percentage of 1080 figures, I think this 480 will be a pretty long way short of a 1070.

Probably closer to GTx970 which for €200 would be really excellent.

I always pretty much ignore these types of 'official' benchmarks though, they're essentially worthless, as are dual card synthetic scores for someone when gauging real world performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

€200 for a card as good/better than a 970 is fantastic value, great for PC gaming lets new people buy and own a really good machine at a reasonable price, €600 including that card would build a really nice machine now,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

well it won't be €200 once VAT and extras are factored in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I feel sorry for all the people who will be shortly trying to off load second hand 970s to trade up, with this around the corner with similar performance, and new for an asking price lower than the second hand 970s on adverts at the moment

• Advertisement

AMDs whole thrust was PC gaming for the masses. If he said 'console class' one more time as a good thing I swear to God... :pac:

However AMD's strategy here doesn't suit us as enthusiasts but is potentially a really winner.

50Million AMD APUs in consoles
    100Million projected 'VR Capable class GPUs'
    250Million (Presumably including the above class) other GPUs

They estimate 1.24billion PCs out there - that's pretty much bang on 25% market share of gaming hardware if you include the console side of things. A pretty logical next step is the PS5 and Xbone2 being based on a Zen+Polaris APU - with VR driving the market maybe 60-70million consoles.

That leaves nVidia doing some amazing things for the guts of 10-20 million enthusiasts; given they bought Voodoo you wonder why they can't see that coming. That said I'm sure we'll see an aggressive 1060 announced soon enough.

$199 is roughly €220 inc Irish VAT. That's at launch - we'll not be far off very soon after. I stress though that's for a 4GB card.

$199 is roughly €220 inc Irish VAT. That's at launch - we'll not be far off very soon after. I stress though that's for a 4GB card.

My guess would be the best part of €300 for the 8GB version which is not that great a price when compared to the €400ish price of a 1070 and its 980TI beating performance.

Venom wrote: »
    My guess would be the best part of €300 for the 8GB version which is not that great a price when compared to the €400ish price of a 1070 and its 980TI beating performance.

Indeed and €300 seems about right. That said the type of person this is going to appeal to would be grand with 4GB.

I don't expect to see much movement of the 4GB 480 or the 1070 or 1080 but I think we'll see some significant movement in the space between them. I think AMD has priced the 8GB 480 deliberately high to try and stop nVidia coming in too low with the 1060.

It's going to be very interesting to see if the GPU is in anyway cut down, is it underclocked, is the GDDR5 hobbling it. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see a 480X this generation. My strategy would be to position that at around the same price as the 1070 with 8GB of GDDR5X and better DX12 performance.

All supposition of course, but it's kinda fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Is there euro pricing out for the 1070?

Indeed and €300 seems about right. That said the type of person this is going to appeal to would be grand with 4GB.

I don't expect to see much movement of the 4GB 480 or the 1070 or 1080 but I think we'll see some significant movement in the space between them. I think AMD has priced the 8GB 480 deliberately high to try and stop nVidia coming in too low with the 1060.

It's going to be very interesting to see if the GPU is in anyway cut down, is it underclocked, is the GDDR5 hobbling it. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see a 480X this generation. My strategy would be to position that at around the same price as the 1070 with 8GB of GDDR5X and better DX12 performance.

All supposition of course, but it's kinda fun :)

It will boil down to how well the 480 does in real life benchmarks tho as all we have so far is AMD PR spiel which has not been very realistic in the past.

It will boil down to how well the 480 does in real life benchmarks tho as all we have so far is AMD PR spiel which has not been very realistic in the past.

Never is from anyone, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have to agree with TTLs take:
    https://www.facebook.com/tinytomlogan/photos/a.199509330089988.47891.188125641228357/1200473899993521/?type=3
    Got sent this photoshop from an OC3D forum member. I think AMD may have really scared Nvidia in the wallet with this one. They will never win in the market share with expensive cards till they bring round the massive lower end market. 1050 and 1060 prices have just (had to) drop like a lead balloon. Well played AMD well played.
    13346522_1200473899993521_4825958237250805508_n.jpg?oh=a5df429a11e8f6dc4f9389f5ecd993e8&oe=57D5E225&__gda__=1473085722_464f81fc05327f9517b07941f279a0c0

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I was just thinking the new Xbox and new PS may be using a version of this GPU in their new consoles, as they are supposedly suppose to support vr which this GPU is as well. It is a cheap GPU and I doubt AMD would design three separate GPUs. Makes sense really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Would like one of these to replace my nvidia 770. Does anyone know if my Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 motherboard would support it?

Advertisement