Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

dunworth1 wrote: »
    The next year or so should be very interesting in the gpu market I'm going to hold off until next year and build a new pc.

But amd getting back into the game will finally give nvidia a stir

That all depends on the 1060 performance and pricing. If it gives near or above 980 levels at a non retarded price, AMD will have had 2 good weeks of 480 sales then their back in a world of pain.

Even if we take the worst case scenario and the 1060 only matches the 480 in performance, the AMD card still has some pretty big issues to deal with such as its power draw, heat output, PCI-E compliance and lack of overclocking potential that could push buyers to team green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Venom wrote: »
    That all depends on the 1060 performance and pricing. If it gives near or above 980 levels at a non retarded price, AMD will have had 2 good weeks of 480 sales then their back in a world of pain.

Even if we take the worst case scenario and the 1060 only matches the 480 in performance, the AMD card still has some pretty big issues to deal with such as its power draw, heat output, PCI-E compliance and lack of overclocking potential that could push buyers to team green.

nVidia will cash in no doubt, I expect the 1060 to be quite dear, but we'll just have to wait and see I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

I'm confused. Up until a few weeks ago, I thought the R9 390 was a bit of a beast of a card. The way people are talking about the 480 it 'only' matched the 390, it sounds like that's crap. But coming from a R9 270 (and was going to upgrade to a 390 until 480 came out and I now won't have to upgrade PSU either,,,) it a huge leap in performance. Am I right in thinking it's still a stonking card for the price, or somehow has everyones talk made it worse than it really is......and is this talk coming from people who only want high fps on ultra with 1440p+ monitors, because all I will be playing on is 1080p and happy at high settings....

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭thegreenbean

I'm confused. Up until a few weeks ago, I thought the R9 390 was a bit of a beast of a card. The way people are talking about the 480 it 'only' matched the 390, it sounds like that's crap. But coming from a R9 270 (and was going to upgrade to a 390 until 480 came out and I now won't have to upgrade PSU either,,,) it a huge leap in performance. Am I right in thinking it's still a stonking card for the price, or somehow has everyones talk made it worse than it really is......and is this talk coming from people who only want high fps on ultra with 1440p+ monitors, because all I will be playing on is 1080p and happy at high settings....

There are conflicting reports surrounding the power draw on the pci-e slot. Some entry level motherboards are reportedly "dying" when the card is overclocked. There's an interesting video here from PcPer on the situation. https://youtu.be/ZjAlrGzHAkI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Some people expected it to perform a bit better. It's still a rock solid card for 1080 at ultra settings though and a huge upgrade from a 270.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Its about equal to the 390 or 970 now, and is expected to surpass both by a good margin with future drivers.

Some sites had reported that with a good lump of silicon and nice over clocking it might reach GTX1070/980Ti levels of performance, so people were hopeful but that's highly unlikely given how its launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

An informed opinion on the RX 480 pci-e debacle by a respected youtube pundit.
    Basically there are power issues on the reference card in terms of overclocking and utilising the 8G of VRAM in extreme conditions, but the drama is way out of proportion.
    Plus it was mentioned on Jaystwocents that mobos can safely handle spikes in power draw up to 300 watts via pci-e.

Jo Satan wrote: »
    An informed opinion on the RX 480 pci-e debacle by a respected youtube pundit.
    Basically there are power issues on the reference card in terms of overclocking and utilising the 8G of VRAM in extreme conditions, but the drama is way out of proportion.
    Plus it was mentioned on Jaystwocents that mobos can safely handle spikes in power draw up to 300 watts via pci-e.

Never heard of that AdoredTV guy before and it seems hes more a letsplay type than hardware reviewer. Zays2cents has admitted he has no way of testing power draw and seeing the issue is sustained powerdraw over the PCI-E specs not just spiking, Jay is taking out of his ass.

Until Tomshardware, OC3D or other proper hardware reviewer explains why this is not an issue I would be concerned if I owned a 480.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I've got a gts250 so can anyone tell me if this would be a good upgrade? :-D :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I've got a gts250 so can anyone tell me if this would be a good upgrade? :-D :-D

Better off keeping it until Vega/1080ti comes out, you won't see much of a difference...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Mark1006

Disappointed that Sapphire have decided to ignore the 4GB version when it comes to the Nitro. To me it kind of goes against everything that was promised with the 480 to focus solely on the "premium" version of the card. You're not exactly the "champion of the poor" bringing VR to the masses if you're charging the same as/even more than what you can get a 970/390 for.

XFX have confirmed they'll be making giving the 4GB version custom cooling treatment, hopefully it'll have a nice backplate but I'm not sure the XFX 380/370 did.

Fresh 1060 leak over at OC3D If it's real then it's a stonker.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Never heard of that AdoredTV guy before and it seems hes more a letsplay type than hardware reviewer.

He's become big in the last quarter or so. He's usually right, or close to. Points about AMD mopping up with a much higher yield and killing it in the mainstream price point. Can you say millions of consoles? :D

Fresh 1060 leak over at OC3D If it's real then it's a stonker.

If the rumors are true and the 1060 gets launched on July 7th it will be an interesting weekend. Those graphs seem out of sync with the rest of the article tho looking at the 1060/480 performance onc. VT and power I could see but twice the performance yet not better than a 980 seems wrong.

ED E wrote: »
    He's become big in the last quarter or so. He's usually right, or close to. Points about AMD mopping up with a much higher yield and killing it in the mainstream price point. Can you say millions of consoles? :D

AMD got the contract for both PS4 and Xbox One yet its claimed by alot of sources their only breaking even. I could see the 480 being used in the Scorpio tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Sapphire Nitro 8GB pre-orders come in around €300....You know, VAT has a lot to answer for.

So, now I'm posed with the question:
    GTX 970 Zotac AMP! Extreme Core: €300
    Sapphire RX 480: €300

Hmm.....any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mark1006

Mark1006 wrote: »
    Disappointed that Sapphire have decided to ignore the 4GB version when it comes to the Nitro. To me it kind of goes against everything that was promised with the 480 to focus solely on the "premium" version of the card. You're not exactly the "champion of the poor" bringing VR to the masses if you're charging the same as/even more than what you can get a 970/390 for.

XFX have confirmed they'll be making giving the 4GB version custom cooling treatment, hopefully it'll have a nice backplate but I'm not sure the XFX 380/370 did.

Well, to immediately prove myself wrong..

I can't link to it as I'm a new memeber but it seems Gibbo from OCUK has convinced board partners to produce the 4GB variants, coming late July or early August. The agreement seems a bit tenuous and I'm not sure if they'll be widespread across European stores like Mindfactory but we'll see.

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Wonder will there be a 490 or 490x, that might be the top end card.

I'm betting 495x2

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    Sapphire Nitro 8GB pre-orders come in around €300....You know, VAT has a lot to answer for.

Hmm.....any suggestions?

Wait a week and see what the 1060 is like.

I'm betting 495x2

Yeah AMD tend to go the combo dual GPU route for there top end card.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AMD got the contract for both PS4 and Xbox One yet its claimed by alot of sources their only breaking even. I could see the 480 being used in the Scorpio tho.

They really only have to break even now, production costs will drop for this silicon process and theyll still be selling em for years to come.

Some have said that scorpio would be a 480M of sorts which doesnt sound unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The CPU market will decide AMD's future more than console or GPU manufacturing. That market is so much bigger than both of those. Especially on the server side of things.

Zen will really bring AMD back into the black. 32 core/64 thread server chips are being tested atm. If they can pull a decent share of the market from intel they are gonna be around $10 per share by next year. You could have bought them for $1.60 last September.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BloodBath wrote: »
    The CPU market will decide AMD's future more than console or GPU manufacturing. That market is so much bigger than both of those. Especially on the server side of things.

Zen will really bring AMD back into the black. 32 core/64 thread server chips are being tested atm. If they can pull a decent share of the market from intel they are gonna be around $10 per share by next year. You could have bought them for $1.60 last September.

They need more then that, they need to be able to get lots of chips out of each run so they can compete on cost. The server market is very like the PC market in that respect. Those crazy 32 core chips are rarely sold and usually for a very specific reason. The majority of servers ship with dual core small 2U boxes or single cpu blades, with hex/oct core cpus at low frequency's. Why pay for more cores in a single box when you can just buy a second system? I think thats part of whats going on with Polaris, they are aiming for volume. If its similar to the new gpu chips going into the 4k consoles, then they are going to be pumping them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Eoinmc97 wrote: »

Hmm.....any suggestions?

Sit back for a month. In theory the RX480 could kill the OC'd 970 in performance. But the 1060 could simply be a better buy if nvidia can hammer the final nail in the coffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The Sapphire R9 390 is ony €25 more expensive on ebuyer. Is it worth the extra few quid or how is it comparing to the 480? Here's hoping the sterling takes another plunge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The problem with sterling plunging is many suppliers are EU and Euro based so they convert X price from Euro to sterling when setting prices, hence many of the 1080s went up on OCUK. When we buy them and convert it back you're paying the same as I did a few weeks back.

The advantage with a new card is generally the performance gets a bit better over time, where as the 970 and 390 are as good as they're gonna get and designed, primarily, for DX 11.

The problem with sterling plunging is many suppliers are EU and Euro based so they convert X price from Euro to sterling when setting prices, hence many of the 1080s went up on OCUK. When we buy them and convert it back you're paying the same as I did a few weeks back.

The advantage with a new card is generally the performance gets a bit better over time, where as the 970 and 390 are as good as they're gonna get and designed, primarily, for DX 11.

Still seems to be a bit cheaper on UK sites after conversion. It does seem that the 390 and 480 are neck and neck in the benchmark tests so far so the 480 is probably the best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The Sapphire R9 390 is ony €25 more expensive on ebuyer. Is it worth the extra few quid or how is it comparing to the 480? Here's hoping the sterling takes another plunge.

R9 390 <= RX 480 in performance.

But much much worse for power consumption.

Not worth it.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    R9 390 <= RX 480 in performance.

But much much worse for power consumption.

Not worth it.

I thought the 480 was worse for power. Is that not why people where waiting for the 8 pin? If the 480 is better for power than it's definitely the better choice over the 390

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I thought the 480 was worse for power. Is that not why people where waiting for the 8 pin? If the 480 is better for power than it's definitely the better choice over the 390

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-amd-radeon-rx-480-review

Performance with current drivers is relatively similar, but the R9 390 draws 166W more power :eek:

People are waiting on 8-pin RX 480s for more stable overclocking.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-amd-radeon-rx-480-review

Performance with current drivers is relatively similar, but the R9 390 draws 166W more power :eek:

People are waiting on 8-pin RX 480s for more stable overclocking.

Well I've gone for the RX 480 on Amazon. Got stung for the extra VAT but free delivery cancelled it out. Four years since my last GPU update I think.

Advertisement