Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Well I've gone for the RX 480 on Amazon. Got stung for the extra VAT but free delivery cancelled it out. Four years since my last GPU update I think.

what GPU have you currently got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

what GPU have you currently got?

Radeon 6950. It's held up amazingly. Played Witcher 3, Fallout 4, XCOM 2, Arkham Knight (on release). Looking forward to trying them all on better settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Radeon 6950. It's held up amazingly. Played Witcher 3, Fallout 4, XCOM 2, Arkham Knight (on release). Looking forward to trying them all on better settings.
    Cool! Be interested to see how much of a fps increase you'll get. A lot I'd think:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Snap, im in the same boat. 6950 still chugging away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The HD6950 is kinda above a GTX750Ti, so you have something in the region of about 250% performance increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

What do you all think of the Sapphire Nitro coming soon, nice card but having a hard just justifying the 30 pound premium over reference cards on Amazon, I've been swinging between a reference card and waiting for the Sapphire since it was announced. Currently running a R5 240 on a X99 mitx build after selling off my last build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Currently running a R5 240 on a X99 mitx build after selling off my last build.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I should clarify it's a Xeon so no integrated Graphics and I needed something to power the 40" 4K Philips :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

I should clarify it's a Xeon so no integrated Graphics and I needed something to power the 40" 4K Philips :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

What do you all think of the Sapphire Nitro coming soon, nice card but having a hard just justifying the 30 pound premium over reference cards on Amazon, I've been swinging between a reference card and waiting for the Sapphire since it was announced. Currently running a R5 240 on a X99 mitx build after selling off my last build.

Temps and clocks on the reference cards are poor. The AIB's will be at least 20-30c cooler at load, much quieter and should feature factory overclocks as high as 1400mhz which puts the 480 in line with a reference 980 and should have more overclocking headroom on top of that.

One thing you learn with AMD over the years is to never buy a reference model. Their coolers are almost always terrible.

Funny you say that. Same opinion in this tear down / water cooling of a 480. Wasn't sure if it was just them being picky given it's a £200 card against the price of the 1070/1080.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvhyrz5oDPo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Funny you say that. Same opinion in this tear down / water cooling of a 480. Wasn't sure if it was just them being picky given it's a £200 card against the price of the 1070/1080.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvhyrz5oDPo

Yeah I saw that review, that's what I based my opinion on. That and past experience with AMD cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

BloodBath wrote: »
    Temps and clocks on the reference cards are poor. The AIB's will be at least 20-30c cooler at load

I'm not entirely convinced there! :pac:

This is a prime example of the tinkering being at least as much fun as the games you play on the thing!

BloodBath wrote: »
    Temps and clocks on the reference cards are poor. The AIB's will be at least 20-30c cooler at load, much quieter and should feature factory overclocks as high as 1400mhz which puts the 480 in line with a reference 980 and should have more overclocking headroom on top of that.

One thing you learn with AMD over the years is to never buy a reference model. Their coolers are almost always terrible.

Is that what I bought? Bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Statement up from AMD on anandtech reads that the pci power draw issue is being solved in a software driver update, which comes back to my point earlier : they're still not on top of their software quality or power delivery problems.

Hopefully board partners will have better designs and the 470/460 lines won't have a reference board at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Is that what I bought? Bummer.

Yeah if you have ordered now,can you cancel the order?

EoinHef wrote: »
    Yeah if you have ordered now,can you cancel the order?

Already dispatched. Ah well, I'll get a new fan or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Already dispatched. Ah well, I'll get a new fan or something.

You overclock potential will be limited but should be ok at stock.

EoinHef wrote: »
    You overclock potential will be limited but should be ok at stock.

I've never overclocked anything before so I'll probably be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hangar18_

When will the partner boards be out
    Looking to upgrade from a 750ti

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I've never overclocked anything before so I'll probably be ok.
    If you don't intend on overclocking then you will be grand. Grats on the new card.

If it's too hot or noisy you can return it within a short period of time for a refund and buy one of the partner ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I assume people have seen that you can flash the BIOS on the 4gb card to unlock it to 8gb?

I assume people have seen that you can flash the BIOS on the 4gb card to unlock it to 8gb?

There's 8GB on the 4GB card?

Lol - gotta love AMD, someone was gonna count to 8 lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

The review models had 8GB and could be flashed to 4GB to save on sending reviewers separate 8 and 4 gig cards.
    It has been uncovered that some retail "4GB" do have 8GB and can be flashed to utilise the full amount.

You do need to disassemble the card (and void warranty) to check if you have 8GB available before you flash it though apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Sounds like they just sold the same card with a bios lock rather than remove the extra VRAM. I would assume that they may remove the extra VRAM in the future (probably) but it was cheaper in the short term to have one production line rather than two.

Edit: Or some 8gb cards failed to meet a quality level with some of the VRAM chips and were sold as 4gb using the working ones

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    The review models had 8GB and could be flashed to 4GB to save on sending reviewers separate 8 and 4 gig cards.
    It has been uncovered that some retail "4GB" do have 8GB and can be flashed to utilise the full amount.

You do need to disassemble the card (and void warranty) to check if you have 8GB available before you flash it though apparently.

Although the warranty with AMD is void, I'm suspect one's consumer rights with the retailer would remain in tact if months later an issue unrelated to the modification arose.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Apparently you can check it via diagnostic - the memory will have a different code if it's an 8GB part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Did anyone go for a 4GB here?
    Think they were £175ish on OCUK at one point... not a sniff of them now though, serious value if they can be unlocked!

In other non-RX480 news/gossip: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-6-gb-3dmark-performance-leaked.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Will have to wait to see what the price is! This could be great, or just merely good depending on the price!

Advertisement