Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

Can't afford a 4K screen or card.

What did you do with the 17K you saved from not smoking.:pac:

I've spent it all on murray mints, eliquid and Alan Carr seminars.

That sig still there then, I haven't seen it for over a year.

Mmmm now I feel I deserve a 10-bit hdr panel and a pair of Titan Ps, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Nvidia’s $250 GeForce GTX 1060.

So, Its confirmed.

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidias-250-geforce-gtx-1060-will-battle-amd-for-mid-range-supremacy/

Given a choice between the RX 480 and the GTX 1060 I'd go with the 1060. AMD needed a flawless RX 480 launch to compete but that hasn't gone well so Nvidia have a massive opportunity now.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

So, Its confirmed.

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidias-250-geforce-gtx-1060-will-battle-amd-for-mid-range-supremacy/

Given a choice between the RX 480 and the GTX 1060 I'd go with the 1060. AMD needed a flawless RX 480 launch to compete but that hasn't gone well so Nvidia have a massive opportunity now.

The 1060 seems like a beast of a card! I was never an avid fanboy of either side (FX5200 -> X800GT0 -> HD4350m -> GTX660m) but this thing kinda makes me want to build a cheapy desktop gaming system!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So, Its confirmed.

IDK, AMD have FreeSync, more VRAM & CrossFire on their side.

If the 1060 just matches the RX480, it's a worse deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If the AIB's can overclock to 1600mhz easily enough, which the AIB's are saying it does, then AMD are on to a real winner. That would put the 480 on par with a heavily overclocked 980 with double the memory, better dx12 support and proper A-Sync support for €300.

I'd be tempted to swap my 970 for that until Vega drops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BloodBath wrote: »
    If the AIB's can overclock to 1600mhz easily enough, which the AIB's are saying it does, then AMD are on to a real winner. That would put the 480 on par with a heavily overclocked 980 with double the memory, better dx12 support and proper A-Sync support for €300.

Not so sure that they are not fudging the truth.

Not so sure that they are not fudging the truth.

Interesting but I'd pay no heed to any tests using the reference card. Especially with a sample size of 1. AIB's will be using custom boards and the higher end ones will possibly be using higher binned GPU's. I'm not convinced that a simple fan blowing on the VRM's is adequate either.

Even if 1500mhz is the limit for most cards that still put's it on par with a factory overclocked 980 with possible driver improvements pushing it way past that. Also any game supporting A-sync will see a significant performance improvement over the 980.

I'd expect to see A-sync support in a lot of future titles since the consoles support it and it's basically free performance. It's also very easy to implement in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Availability (and therefore the possibility of an inflated prices may also affect 1060 sales I'd say.)

Haven't been following the 10 series that much (way over my budget) but from what I gather they don't have the best OC potential? Or it doesn't have a noticeable effect in game? May be the same story here.

I'm guessing the 6GB/192bit vs 8GB/256bit would only really show up at higher resolutions/specific games that are very memory intensive? Guess its a "wait for the benchmarks" answer

Given AMD's track record with driver maturity I think we could expect a small increase in performance throughout its lifetime too so the gap between it and the 1060 may reduce as time goes on.

I'm getting an itchy trigger finger but will wait til the end of the month and see how things look.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Wait, so the 1060 is announced at 250 dollars, given the announced price and real price of their current available line that'd put it somewhere in the €350-400 right?

Wait, so the 1060 is announced at 250 dollars, given the announced price and real price of their current available line that'd put it somewhere in the €350-400 right?

Seems likely based on current pricing. Nvidia are doing some serious gouging this gen.

I have a feeling this will be the 7970 vs gtx 680 all over again. The 1060 will beat the 480 initially only to lose out over time as AMD improve their drivers and more games implement A-Sync compute support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    IDK, AMD have FreeSync, more VRAM & CrossFire on their side.

If the 1060 just matches the RX480, it's a worse deal.

I think Crossfire might be on the Nvidia side in fairness, it's normally brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I think Crossfire might be on the Nvidia side in fairness, it's normally brutal

I think the point is the option is provided. No sli connectors on the 1060. Will have to see how many devs take up the multi GPU thing in dx12, Microsoft claiming it is much easier to implement. Depending how well its supported and performs, multi GPU might be a not ridiculius option again

Nvidia claim the 1060 will overclock to 2GHz and past that.

Its going to be awfully hard for the RX 480 to compete giving its shaky launch.
    Nvidia has revealed that the card is based on a new GP106 chip, rather than a binned version of the the GP104 chip used in the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070. The GTX 1060 sports 1280 CUDA cores, 6GB of GDDR5 memory running at 8GHz (only a 6GB version will be available), and a boost clock of 1.7GHz that Nvidia claims is easily overclocked to 2GHz and beyond. Power supply is via a single 6-pin connector.

Nvidia claim the 1060 will overclock to 2GHz and past that.

Its going to be awfully hard for the RX 480 to compete giving its shaky launch.

That's pretty irreverent. In terms of % both cards will overclock around the same from their base clocks given the right board and cooler. Have you not learned that more Ghz doesn't necessarily mean better.

I think people are writing off AMD far too early here. The 480 is a very good card, just don't judge it based on the reference model.

Nvidia are claiming 980 performance from the 1060. That put's it at around the same level as the 480.

It's going to be a close battle between the 2 but if the 480 costs €50+ less, has 2gb of extra ram and better Async support then it's going to sell in spades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Delivery company have lost my RX480. I am getting a refund from amazon. I may as well wait for a AIB card now. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

I'm still sticking with the 480, I think Bloodbath is right, with A-sync and DX12, I think the 480 will be a better option, (even without overclocking) I also think nVidia cards will be dearer than they say...

Delivery company have lost my RX480. I am getting a refund from amazon. I may as well wait for a AIB card now. Any recommendations?

A blessing in disguise. The one I linked earlier is available for pre order. Sapphire Nitro was 1 of the best from the last gen.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-oc-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-37b-sp.html?campaign=affiliate/tag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Remember to get a usb disco ball to put inside your case if you get that card. Keep the theme alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

A blessing in disguise. The one I linked earlier is available for pre order. Sapphire Nitro was 1 of the best from the last gen.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-oc-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-37b-sp.html?campaign=affiliate/tag

Ok looks good. Estimated stock on July 22nd. Ill hang on till Monday before ordering just in case my original package turns up. Not very likely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Ok looks good. Estimated stock on July 22nd. Ill hang on till Monday before ordering just in case my original package turns up. Not very likely though.

It looks very tall, much higher than the bracket, so just make sure it will fit in your case, doesnt interfere with fans etc!

• Advertisement

That's pretty irreverent. In terms of % both cards will overclock around the same from their base clocks given the right board and cooler. Have you not learned that more Ghz doesn't necessarily mean better.

It was in response to your post. So going on what you are saying we should completely ignore your comment below.
    If the AIB's can overclock to 1600mhz easily enough, which the AIB's are saying it does, then AMD are on to a real winner.

AMD needed to get the reference design right for being being able to take a big chunk of the GPU sales pie. After market cards are about improving on a design and in the case of the 480 it seems we are relying on them to fix AMD mistakes. Consumer confidence was most likely hit. Many people I know who were planning on getting the 480 completely changed their minds.

Its seems like many people are purchasing the RX 480 based on what it will be able to do (maybe) versus what it actually can do.

I was disappointed with the RX 480 reference. All hype from AMD little substance.

There are very few DX 12 games out there, so much so that I think most people will be better off waiting for AMD's Vega lineup in a few months to see what it offers. By the time the RX 480 becomes really good the next releases from AMD will be out anyway.

It was in response to your post. So going on what you are saying we should completely ignore your comment below.

AMD needed to get the reference design right for being being able to take a big chunk of the GPU sales pie. After market cards are about improving on a design and in the case of the 480 it seems we are relying on them to fix AMD mistakes. Consumer confidence was most likely hit. Many people I know who were planning on getting the 480 completely changed their minds.

Its seems like many people are purchasing the RX 480 based on what it will be able to do (maybe) versus what it actually can do.

I was disappointed with the RX 480 reference. All hype from AMD little substance.

There are very few DX 12 games out there, so much so that I think most people will be better off waiting for AMD's Vega lineup in a few months to see what it offers. By the time the RX 480 becomes really good the next releases from AMD will be out anyway.

I meant 2000Mhz on the 1060 vs 1500MHz on the 480 or whatever it's going to be. Regardless both of the cards are going to be around 980 performance.

What AMD mistakes are you talking about? The completely irrelevant PCIe power bull**** that Nvidia cards like the 960 also suffered from which has since been fixed for those who were still worried about it. I'm convinced Nvidia started that nonsense themselves quickly followed by a 1060 announcement to try and wreck AMD's launch.

What the reference cards can do now is soundly beat the 970 in most titles, what the AIB's will do will bring it more in line with a 980.

You realise Vega is going to be high end right? With a price tag closer to €500+. It's not a replacement for Polaris. It's competition for the 1080 and 1070.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'm willing to bet the 1060 will do a similar thing to the PCIe slot. I'm convinced my 1080 spikes out of spec.

Why are there so many fanbois? They're the ones making a mountain out of a molehill on this. I'm more than happy to admit a company's or product's shortcomings, it seems as soon as you do people go look! look! X company can do no wrong so much better.

I meant 2000Mhz on the 1060 vs 1500MHz on the 480 or whatever it's going to be. Regardless both of the cards are going to be around 980 performance.

What AMD mistakes are you talking about? The completely irrelevant PCIe power bull**** that Nvidia cards like the 960 also suffered from which has since been fixed for those who were still worried about it. I'm convinced Nvidia started that nonsense themselves quickly followed by a 1060 announcement to try and wreck AMD's launch.

What the reference cards can do now is soundly beat the 970 in most titles, what the AIB's will do will bring it more in line with a 980.

You realise Vega is going to be high end right? With a price tag closer to €500+. It's not a replacement for Polaris. It's competition for the 1080 and 1070.

It was a big enough issue for AMD to come out with the following
    AMD wrote:
    We highly advise those that ran out and bought an RX 480 not to raise the power limit, overclock it or run CrossFire until a driver solution is available

Temps are very high although that is nothing new for AMD, when overclocked it goes crazy high however thats should be improved in after market cards.

I've seem loads of benches where the 970 is beating the 480. The only ones I seen the 480 out do the 970 were AMD partnered titles and DX 12 titles like Tomb Raider and Hitman, etc, etc.

DX 12 wont be relevant for about another year. My advice would be to wait for the 1060 or after market 1060 to get an idea of its performance in comparison to the RX 480.

Exactly, I bet if you tested a wide range of cards there would be similar spikes.

These cards get far more rigorous testing than some tech site is going to do. Until I see widely reported MB failures I call bull****. Looking at sites like Amazon and newegg reviews I see virtually no negative reviews or reported MB failures.

The amount of so called tech youtubers who jumped on that bandwagon as well didn't help the matter.

I genuinely believe Nvidia had something to do with it. It's exactly the kind of underhand tactics they would employ. It's the same as the nonsense going around a while back about the AMD and Nvidia drivers causing MB or card failures. People are ****ing idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Any chance of seeing any of the above cards coming in around 250? It's the budget I had set out for myself, or any decent 2nd hand cards going for in or around that? Will be only playing 1080p max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

My only caveat is the component that always seems to fail on me is mainboards. That could be because of either flavour of GPU or simply the abuse they get given with power limits being set to max and overclocking.

The thing that makes me laugh about this is the 750ti - very popular - no one is gonna convince me that runs to PCIe spec overclocked.

It was a big enough issue for AMD to come out with the following

Temps are very high although that is nothing new for AMD, when overclocked it goes crazy high however thats should be improved in after market cards.

I've seem loads of benches where the 970 is beating the 480. The only ones I seen the 480 out do the 970 were AMD partnered titles and DX 12 titles like Tomb Raider and Hitman, etc, etc.

DX 12 wont be relevant for about another year. My advice would be to wait for the 1060 or after market 1060 to get an idea of its performance in comparison to the RX 480.

Who buys a reference card to overclock? If you learn anything from AMD cards is that they use the bare minimum cooler for the stock clocks which is fine since most people don't overclock. Personally I still wouldn't touch them for heat and noise levels.

The 480 is simply a better card than the 970. Tests that actually use a reference 970 show the 480 beating it in most titles, fairly even in many with the 970 ahead in a few titles that favor Nvidia cards.

I'll be waiting for Vega more than likely but for those buying now the 480 is the best card you can get for under €300. It will probably still be the case after the 1060 launches at €350+.

We'll have to wait and see which 1 performs better but I don't think anyone is going to be disappointed with either.
    RossieMan wrote: »
    Any chance of seeing any of the above cards coming in around 250? It's the budget I had set out for myself, or any decent 2nd hand cards going for in or around that? Will be only playing 1080p max.

You might as well stretch the extra €50 and grab 1 of those Sapphire Nitro 480's. You could get a second hand 970 for probably close to €200 either if you want to spend less.

Similar performance, both cards are more than good enough for maxing almost everything at 1080p/60hz.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Overclocking in general is a fairly niche market, within a niche market...overclocking of a 480....I can't even comprehend just how negligible of a market that must be :P

So, yeah, I don't get why it's a deal at all for the vast majority of gamers.

But....the 480's issue it's fixed anyway so why is anyone wasting their time using it as a beating stick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

As far as i can see gpu overclocking in the traditional sense is becoming a bit redundent. The cards are overclocking themselves,even the stated boost clock speeds are being exceeded out of the box. So in a sense everyone will be running an overclocked card without having to touch any settings.

Advertisement