Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Thanks bloodbath, may as well pop for that card so.

Have everything else sorted apart from the GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

RossieMan wrote: »
    Thanks bloodbath, may as well pop for that card so.

Have everything else sorted apart from the GPU.

Alternatively you could grab a new 970 for less if you don't want to wait for 480 stock. It could be a week or 2 for that. This is one of the best 1's you can get at a good price and free delivery if you really want something now and cheaper.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-NVIDIA-Gaming-Graphics-Express/dp/B00NQ862GY/ref=sr_1_9?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1467999366&sr=1-9&keywords=gtx+970

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

It's because Nvidia have managed to make themselves look like God's by buying market share with sponsoring the large games and making out amd are peasents.

Intel did a similar thing years back when they were paying manufacturers to use Intel over amd cpu. Which hampered amds reach and ability to research.

It's very funny that sales people will jump all over Intel/nvidia saying that they are miles better than amd when ordinary people wouldn't notice any difference.

I'll buy whichever is best value for price/performance and thats generally amd stuff.

It really is amazing what having loads of cash can do you can basically muscle your way to the top

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

AMDs CPUs aren't better than Intels Core range for price/performance. 290/390/480 vs a 970 is a matter of opinion, but CPUs Intel are genuinely a much better option for gaming

Until glorious Zen arrives at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

BloodBath wrote: »
    Until glorious Zen arrives at least.
    Please, no more AMD hype lol. I can't take anymore.

Haha, I hope they have their **** together this year anyway. Nvidia and Intel are starting to take the piss with their prices again.

I don't understand the rabbid Nvidia fanboys you see on other sites. Without AMD we would get gouged every gen. They bring balance to the force.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

BloodBath wrote: »
    I don't understand the rabbid Nvidia fanboys you see on other sites. Without AMD we would get gouged every gen. They bring balance to the force.

It's because none of them see it as gouging. All they see is "Wow! 980 Ti performance for only $380!" Never mind the fact that the card should be $350 at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

dunworth1 wrote: »

It's very funny that sales people will jump all over Intel/nvidia saying that they are miles better than amd when ordinary people wouldn't notice any difference.

I'll buy whichever is best value for price/performance and thats generally amd stuff.

It really is amazing what having loads of cash can do you can basically muscle your way to the top

In fairness there's more to it than that, AMD are leagues behind Intel with their CPU's.

Their GPU's until now very power inefficient and hot, but were from a performance point of view still good - that is changing, the newest releases are much improved.

Their CPU's though are a bit of a disaster that gets worse every year, to the point now where a €120 dual core i3 CPU can sometimes beat the fastest, power guzzling eight core CPU AMD has ever produced.

Whether Zen can turn it around remains to be seen. People aren't as stupid as are made out to be either - back when AMD had their AMD 64 and X2 cpu's, they were much faster than Intel's Pentium and Pentium D lines and for a few years AMD were the only choice for gaming, even though Intel pushed hard from a branding and marketing perspective.

If AMD came out with a killer card or CPU, people would buy it. But they haven't, they've been playing second fiddle to Intel and Nvidia for the most part - CPU's for 10 years now, GPU's more recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

People aren't as stupid as are made out to be either

I agree with everything you said, except this bit.

I'd like to say I never cease to be amazed... but I've just let it go at this point. It's not their fault - people don't know tech like most of us would - but man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Forget about them prices now in the UK. Prices going up 10% because of the sterling drop. www.game-debate.com/news/20732/pc-hardware-manufacturers-raise-prices-in-uk-following-brexit-result

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

BloodBath wrote:

Other sites? Sometimes even here on boards the mere mentioned of amd brings out the nvidia/Intel guys to shoot down amd.
    In fairness there's more to it than that, AMD are leagues behind Intel with their CPU's.

I'm undoubted that amds lag behind Intel is due to the Intel buying the market a few years back.
    You need money to research and you can't do that if you are being muscled out of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm undoubted that amds lag behind Intel is due to the Intel buying the market a few years back.
    You need money to research and you can't do that if you are being muscled out of the game.

Funny story set about 10 years back, just before I started work in tech support in a sort of multinational. My boss wanted to purchase AMD desktops because at the time(just coming into the core2duo era) the AMD chips were better all round for a much better price. They got 2 in, went to install and got nothing but bluescreens on the corp windows xp image. Normal windows image worked fine. Project was scrapped, AMD desktops got dumped into a corner. I came in a few months later, discovered the 2 desktops and asked what was up. I ended up finding out that their were specific .dll files within the corp image that would only work with intel chips, took me about 2 months to figure it out and learned a **** ton about reading windows debugging. I still wonder if there was a very large brown paper bag behind that. I usually subscribe to the Hanlon's razor theory but that **** bugs me. That was at least 150k users for a good 6-8 years using that base image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Delivery company have lost my RX480. I am getting a refund from amazon. I may as well wait for a AIB card now. Any recommendations?

Mine didn't show up either.

Other sites? Sometimes even here on boards the mere mentioned of amd brings out the nvidia/Intel guys to shoot down amd.

I noticed a bit of that but it's not bad here really. At least you can have a reasonable discussion.

Try WCCFTech if you want to see rabbid fanboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Mine didn't show up either.

Did you order from amazon s.a.r.l and was it Yodel that lost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

The nvidea fan boys were responsible for sabotaging your shipments.
    Makes perfect sense

Did you order from amazon s.a.r.l and was it Yodel that lost it.

Amazon. Probably just my lazy postwoman.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Amazon. Probably just my lazy postwoman.
    According to the An Post website the term is now PostPerson :D

Very PC indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ScawlDballs

sugarman wrote: »

Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC looks good. Looks near identical to their 380 Nitro which got very good reviews.

I'm waiting for the same card and will order it on day one.
    I've had two Sapphire HD 7770 vapor-x cards in my system since 2012 and they have been flawless in their operation (can of compressed air every 3 months).

I trust the brand and I'm looking forward to firing up Star Wars Battlefront with it

• Advertisement

What's the thought on the 490? Leaks seem to say it will be a dual gpu.

Redfox25 wrote: »

I seriously doubt it. Makes 0 sense. It wouldn't be called a 490 if it was, it would be called a 485x2.

AMD have been using the x2 desigination for dual gpu's for about a decade now and usually only on their top tier cards so it would be a 495x2 and we haven't seen the 490 yet.

Unless it's some sort of VR card using 2 480's to render each screen but it still wouldn't be called a 490. That will be Vega with HBM2.

Would be an odd decision but might make sense if vega is 6-8 months off and knocking up a 485x2 (490) would give them a chance to snipe some sales from nvidea owners who are waiting for cards to be in stock.

Even then can only assume it's a fair bit of work to get this to work.

Would be an odd decision but might make sense if vega is 6-8 months off and knocking up a 485x2 (490) would give them a chance to snipe some sales from nvidea owners who are waiting for cards to be in stock.

Even then can only assume it's a fair bit of work to get this to work.

Well we could be seeing more of this in the future if it's true. DX12 is supposed to offer better multi gpu support actually allowing the cards to share the same memory pool and better performance from split frame rendering as opposed to alternate frame rendering that we get now with crossfire/sli. It also means you won't need crossfire/sli profiles anymore.

Games will have to be designed with this in mind though so I don't know if it will ever take off. It might be good 5 years down the line but at the moment there's virtually no support.

I'd say it's definitely the future though. There won't be many more die shrinks coming. We're not going to see anything like the 28nm to 14nm shrink again. They will be lucky to make it to 8nm from 14 so multi gpu is the only way to go. They reckon 5nm is as small as they can go so we're almost there.

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/amd_explains_dx12_multi_gpu_benefits/1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Welp, I think I'll be considering going AMD in the near future:

http://www.displaylag.com/asus-mg24uq-4k-gaming-monitor-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

A bit of that going on here,
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=408618

Got the card today. Apparently it refuses to work with my motherboard. This is a sad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Got the card today. Apparently it refuses to work with my motherboard. This is a sad day.

Bios update?

Bios update?

I have a P67 GD55. When I looked it up there are a number of posts about the bios update frying the board. It's going a bit beyond my expertise level to mess around with the BIOS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I have a P67 GD55. When I looked it up there are a number of posts about the bios update frying the board. It's going a bit beyond my expertise level to mess around with the BIOS.

Are you getting no display output or what is this issue? Can you try it in another machine to rule out that card is the issue?

Advertisement