Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Are you getting no display output or what is this issue? Can you try it in another machine to rule out that card is the issue?

No display output. Computer isn't booting either. No other system to try it on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Do you have another PSU? Where are you based?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have a P67 GD55. When I looked it up there are a number of posts about the bios update frying the board. It's going a bit beyond my expertise level to mess around with the BIOS.

Having a look at your board specs online and your boards is capable of upto Gen2 (This card would be Gen3) so maybe get into the bios and manually set the PCI-E to Gen 2 (Or anything other than auto) should sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

What card are you replacing? What is your power supply? Have you reseated the card and 6pin power connection? I presume it is booting fine again one removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I have a P67 GD55. When I looked it up there are a number of posts about the bios update frying the board. It's going a bit beyond my expertise level to mess around with the BIOS.

Its always a risk.

Bios 4.3(latest) lists the improvement - Enhanced PCI-E display card performance. I'm going to assume that's when pci-ex 3.0 cards came out.

Alternatively you could try setting your pci-ex port to 2.0 x16 manually, then trying the card.

• Advertisement

Do you have another PSU? Where are you based?

No other rig. I might be able to try it in a friends bu it'll be a few days. I'm in the west of Meath.
    jonnycivic wrote: »
    Having a look at your board specs online and your boards is capable of upto Gen2 (This card would be Gen3) so maybe get into the bios and manually set the PCI-E to Gen 2 (Or anything other than auto) should sort you out.

I'll give it a shot
    Lu Tze wrote: »
    What card are you replacing? What is your power supply? Have you reseated the card and 6pin power connection? I presume it is booting fine again one removed?

Radeon 6950. 650W PSU. Reseated a number of times. Old card still works fine.
    Its always a risk.

Bios 4.3(latest) lists the improvement - Enhanced PCI-E display card performance. I'm going to assume that's when pci-ex 3.0 cards came out.

Alternatively you could try setting your pci-ex port to 2.0 x16 manually, then trying the card.

Is that the same as what johnnycivic suggested? I'll give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

No other rig. I might be able to try it in a friends bu it'll be a few days. I'm in the west of Meath.

I'll give it a shot

Radeon 6950. 650W PSU. Reseated a number of times. Old card still works fine.

Is that the same as what johnnycivic suggested? I'll give it a shot.

That's pretty ****, nothing more disappointing than waiting for something be delivered, for it not to work out of the box!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I had to update my bios when my r9 380 came in. Its not that difficult, and the chance of bricking your mobo is very minimal.. just don't go unplugging it while its flashing and it'll be fine.

Well that was a chore and a half. Updated the bios and spent a few hours trying to install the MSI and display driver. kinda feel like overall computer performance has dropped a bit, and that's before playing any games. Dxdiag also says the display driver has only 4gb memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Well that was a chore and a half. Updated the bios and spent a few hours trying to install the MSI and display driver. kinda feel like overall computer performance has dropped a bit, and that's before playing any games. Dxdiag also says the display driver has only 4gb memory.

Are you using 32 or 64bit windows?

• Advertisement

papu wrote: »
    Are you using 32 or 64bit windows?

64bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Back up your files and wipe system and reinstall windows if you can. That should solve the issues.
    Just make sure you have your win key before you do that.

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Back up your files and wipe system and reinstall windows if you can. That should solve the issues.
    Just make sure you have your win key before you do that.

Arkham Knight recognises the 8GB of video memory so it seems to be working alright. I'll hold off on the wipe until I get an SSD. That seesm to be the only bottleneck on the system now.

Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Mine didn't show up either.

Well would you believe after amazon telling me last friday that the package was lost and that they are refunding me I get a mail from DPD today saying the package will be delivered tomorrow. Bit pissed off now because I wanted the AIB version.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Refuse the package.

Well would you believe after amazon telling me last friday that the package was lost and that they are refunding me I get a mail from DPD today saying the package will be delivered tomorrow. Bit pissed off now because I wanted the AIB version.

Postman explained the delay to me. Whoever was labelling them in the distribution centre cut the label too narrow. The first figure from each line of the address was missing, including the first number in my two digit house number.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Refuse the package.

Yup, just don't sign for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Yup, just don't sign for it

To be honest for someone like myself that won't want to overclock or anything I'm sure the reference card will do. I'll just hang onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

To be honest for someone like myself that won't want to overclock or anything I'm sure the reference card will do. I'll just hang onto it.

I'm not an overclocker myself but i wouldn't go near a reference design card

I rather wait a few weeks for a car which is overclocked already has better cooling and features

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I don't get AIB cards for performance, I get them for noise.

No matter what anyone says, the reference cards always sound like hairdryers. Slightly less noisy hairdryers in recent years, but still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

If you don't want to refuse it you could take it in and just get onto Amazon and tell them that it has now shown up but that you have now bought a replacement from some where else and you want to send it back. They should give you free shipping back.

Once confirmed they have it back, you can then get an AIB card

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

seen some posts saying wait for AIB cards, ocuk are stocking MSI and Sapphire cards right now, are these just rebadged reference design cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

mossym wrote: »
    seen some posts saying wait for AIB cards, ocuk are stocking MSI and Sapphire cards right now, are these just rebadged reference design cards?

If its a blower style fan on the end of the card is a reference design. AIB cards tend to have 2/3 big ass fans on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

There is reference cards available on OCs, but the other cards, nitro and colour are both on preorder.

Waiting for a week myself, I've waited this long might as well wait a little longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Anybody else able to preorder from OCUK? My basket seems to empty itself with a pre-order of the 480.

Mind you, having seen the leaks, I'll wait for the reviews between the AIBs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

bit the bullet and ordered the sapphire nitro+ OC from overclockers. was toying with a 1060, or picking up a 970, but went with the 480. hopefully they got stock and ship soon, should have all the rest of my new build by friday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Some good info on AIB 480's here...

http://videocardz.com/62059/asus-msi-gigabyte-powercolor-and-sapphire-custom-radeon-rx-480-pictured

The power connector gets bumped up to 8 pin on most cards but I can see some of the more expensive coolers really bumping the € price up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

One thing that may keep the 480 AiB's reasonable is the 1070 and possibly the 1060.

If they start to get to the €350 point you would be better off with a 1060/1070. For €150 more the 1070 would look like decent value at €500 imo in comparison to a €350 RX 480 if you were looking at peformance/$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-oc-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-37b-sp.html

Thinking of going for this to replace my 660ti which died much too early. Thoughts?

Advertisement