Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

sugarman wrote: »
    Dont suppose you have found out anywhere the over all length of the card? Trying to squeeze it into an m-itx build, havent found any further info on any of the Aib cards yet.

nope, sorry, shouldn't have any clearance issues in my case so wasn't really a factor for me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Venom wrote: »
    Some good info on AIB 480's here...

http://videocardz.com/62059/asus-msi-gigabyte-powercolor-and-sapphire-custom-radeon-rx-480-pictured

The power connector gets bumped up to 8 pin on most cards but I can see some of the more expensive coolers really bumping the € price up.

I'm surprised by length of all these. The length of the PCB on the reference 480 seems to be relatively small and I thought someone would of come out with a similar size AIB to target smaller cases

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm surprised by length of all these. The length of the PCB on the reference 480 seems to be relatively small and I thought someone would of come out with a similar size AIB to target smaller cases

I'm assuming they are minor modifications to existing designs to reduce production and assembly costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-oc-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-37b-sp.html

Thinking of going for this to replace my 660ti which died much too early. Thoughts?

480 will give you a decent jump from the 660ti so a decent choice. I havent come across reviews for custom 480's yet but sapphire are usually a reliable choice. Personally id wait and check out a few reviews for the different AiB's and grab one then. No indications yet that stock will be a major problem so waiting shouldnt be too penal to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'm surprised no AiBs have reached the reviewers yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If anyone doesn't want to wait for AiB cards, you can get a 3rd-party cooler like this single-fan or this dual-fan and an XFX or MSI stock model.

Both companies allow cooler replacement: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kfLWcuVdauptOIAgHc2THuDj2-gvQQLipNmCCx1FaNI/edit#gid=0

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RoughSleeper

Is there any retailer with the 4GB RX480 in stock? I'm in need of a new card ASAP (my 7950 died on me, stuck using an ancient 4850). I'm not an enthusiast so the 4GB version for 199$ is perfect for my needs.

Is there any retailer with the 4GB RX480 in stock? I'm in need of a new card ASAP (my 7950 died on me, stuck using an ancient 4850). I'm not an enthusiast so the 4GB version for 199$ is perfect for my needs.

It ain't that price over here, try more like €240+

No one seems to have stock anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The GTX970 is actually the same price now, around €230-40, still a solid buy if needed urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RoughSleeper

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It ain't that price over here, try more like €240+

No one seems to have stock anyhow.

I thought so too, yet it seems Newegg has the XFX card (which is currently out of stock) down as 180 Euro. I was under the impression that the 8GB would be around 250 Euro.
    The GTX970 is actually the same price now, around €230-40, still a solid buy if needed urgently.

I was considering that as well and the benchmarks seem similar. I'll do some more research.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's converted dollars though and doesn't include customs, tax or whatever else. The 480 8GB starts at around €270 or so and the 4GB isn't a huge amount less. 970 is more or less on-par but as time goes on the 480 should get better with mature drivers.

The GTX1070 was also advertised at $379 but it starts here at around €450.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

That's converted dollars though and doesn't include customs, tax or whatever else. The 480 8GB starts at around €270 or so and the 4GB isn't a huge amount less. 970 is more or less on-par but as time goes on the 480 should get better with mature drivers.

The GTX1070 was also advertised at $379 but it starts here at around €450.

Where can you actually get a 1070 for €450 tho as most Iv looked at are much closer to €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Venom wrote: »
    Where can you actually get a 1070 for €450 tho as most Iv looked at are much closer to €500.

On geizhals.de there are two models starting at €460. A KFA one and the base Inno3D model. Delivery not included.

So thats the very bottom end but yeah most are around the €500 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Did the Vulcan update for Doom, getting about 119fps on Ultra!

Hand delivered from the States so cost me 200 euro even for the Sapphire reference card. Honestly, for that money this card is insane, it's hard to imagine any game at 1080p that's gonna be beyond it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Did the Vulcan update for Doom, getting about 119fps on Ultra!

Hand delivered from the States so cost me 200 euro even for the Sapphire reference card. Honestly, for that money this card is insane, it's hard to imagine any game at 1080p that's gonna be beyond it.

What's the rest of your spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

What do you think guys, would this do for 2560x1080 60fps with high settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What do you think guys, would this do for 2560x1080 60fps with high settings?
    I don't know what you are asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Any reviews out for the aib cards yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I don't know what you are asking?

Would rx480 be enough to run that resolution with particular frame rate and that setting of graphical fidelity. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Would rx480 be enough to run that resolution with particular frame rate and that setting of graphical fidelity. :pac:

I see that we are in the RX 480 thread alright now that I am on my PC was on my phone earlier and thought I was in the Off topic thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'd be surprised if it wouldn't with current AAA games, Ultra settings would be pushing it a bit though. Its a lower res than 1440p though so I imagine you'll be fine, just look at 1440p benchmarks and take it from there. However it runs at 1440p, it'll be a little better for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

A 480 will smash most games at 2560x1440/60hz.

The AIB's will be equivalent to a GTX 980 in DX11 with much better DX12 and Vulkan support and performance and double the memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Just a heads up:
    OCUK Bumped their Nitro prices by £6

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Akingbade

Hey guys, question.

So I'm in the UK at the moment and looking to buy a RX 480 from OCUK however I'm leaving back for Ireland on the 26th. I'm wondering if I should pay 220 for the reference 8gb now or wait for the aib 4gb versions? Which from reading their forums, they are trying to have it for sub 200 (which I doubt will happen), ill probably end up paying between 220- 240 for a 4gb aib including delivery to ireland. I'm going to build my rig around 27th and rather not wait for a gpu (I have the 970 currently).

So what do yous think?

Akingbade wrote: »
    Hey guys, question.

So I'm in the UK at the moment and looking to buy a RX 480 from OCUK however I'm leaving back for Ireland on the 26th. I'm wondering if I should pay 220 for the reference 8gb now or wait for the aib 4gb versions? Which from reading their forums, they are trying to have it for sub 200 (which I doubt will happen), ill probably end up paying between 220- 240 for a 4gb aib including delivery to ireland. I'm going to build my rig around 27th and rather not wait for a gpu (I have the 970 currently).

So what do yous think?

RX480 isn't much of an upgrade from GTX 970 tbh, unless you're going for a Freesync monitor.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Akingbade wrote: »
    So what do yous think?

RX480 isn't much of an upgrade from GTX 970 tbh, unless you're going for a Freesync monitor.
    Yeah I found a freesync ips monitor for a little extra than an ips monitor I was going for so I figured might as well go with the freesync. I got the 970 quite cheap and haven't used it yet, at worst case ill get back what I paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I may be interested in your 970 depending on price. Having looked at reviews I'm thinking of holding off on the rx480 fora couple of months. Throw me a message if you're selling.

RossieMan wrote: »
    I may be interested in your 970 depending on price. Having looked at reviews I'm thinking of holding off on the rx480 fora couple of months. Throw me a message if you're selling.

Sure, ill send you a pm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Don't get a reference card aking, definitely wait for the AIBs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Looking to upgrade from a R6950. Anybody any thoughts on this card?? Should see a massive increase in performance??
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xfx-radeon-rx-480-xxx-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-with-backplate-gx-237-xf.html

Advertisement