Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's a massive upgrade. The HD6950 is fairly low end at this point and on par with a new €110 card. You're jumping several performance classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Is there any difference though in a slightly more expensive card or is an RX480 an RX480??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

No difference on the reference models apart from possible warranty differences.

Aftermarket cards will have different things going for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Glebee wrote: »
    Is there any difference though in a slightly more expensive card or is an RX480 an RX480??

Reference cards come in 4 or 8 gb models but other than that are the same. Warranty may vary from the different brands but thats about it.

Custom cards will vary as the different brands put there mark on them. Ie different coolers,may more power phase etc for overclocking,lower temps etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Akingbade

Don't get a reference card aking, definitely wait for the AIBs

I'll give it some thought, OCUK have nitro 480 4gb for 239 pounds including delivery.

Cheers folks, is overclockers the best place to pick on up ar are therany other suppliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

I only buy from them .. Good CS

Just ordered. cant wait to boot it up..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Just ordered. cant wait to boot it up..

The Nitro from OCUK?

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote: »
    The Nitro from OCUK?

No just the standard, dont have any 8 pin power connector in my pc, only 6 pin. It will do me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Anyone any experience going from a 7970 GHZ to one of these, much real world boost?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

No just the standard, dont have any 8 pin power connector in my pc, only 6 pin. It will do me though.

is it in stock? i pre-ordered the 8gb oc sapphire last week, still on pre-order status. new pc is built, have an old 1gb card in there, so really hoping the new card ships soon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Anyone any experience going from a 7970 GHZ to one of these, much real world boost?

Probably a doubling in performance with fewer FPS drops, more so in DX12 / Vulkan titles.

Also cooler & lower power consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

dan_ep82 wrote: »

I went from a 7970 to a 970 which is around 50-60% faster. The 480 should be closer to 60-70%. Probably more depending on Async usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

chrismon wrote: »
    What's the rest of your spec?

i3 6300, 8gb ddr4-2400.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Here is an interesting deal, (in bargain thread now), instead of the RX 480 can go for this for not a huge amount more

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-fury-nitro-4096mb-hbm-pci-express-graphics-card-with-backplate-11247-03-40g-gx-377-sp.html

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Here is an interesting deal, (in bargain thread now), instead of the RX 480 can go for this for not a huge amount more

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-fury-nitro-4096mb-hbm-pci-express-graphics-card-with-backplate-11247-03-40g-gx-377-sp.html

I'm almost tempted by it myself, but tbh it doesn't deliver a big enough upgrade (+10fps) over my GTX 970 for €100+ difference.

It's a big enough step up for the guys ordering 480 for 40 to 50 stg less though. Yes it's an older card but it's pretty powerful and one of the better fury models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Redfox25 wrote: »
    It's a big enough step up for the guys ordering 480 for 40 to 50 stg less though. Yes it's an older card but it's pretty powerful and one of the better fury models.

Big improvement over a reference GTX780?
    I'm looking to make a move soon.
    Single monitor 2560x1440

SickBoy wrote: »
    Single monitor 2560x1440

I would say so yes.

SickBoy wrote: »
    Single monitor 2560x1440

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1493?vs=1522

You should definitely see an upshoot in your average & minimum FPS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

computeruniverse.net is showing 1060 and RX480 both starting at around ~290, particularly bad news as that's comparing AIB cards with the underwhelming reference 480. If AIB partners do have a price premium over the reference, that sort of pricing is going to kill the 480 altogether. Availability on both cards doesn't look great however.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

computeruniverse.net is showing 1060 and RX480 both starting at around ~290, particularly bad news as that's comparing AIB cards with the underwhelming reference 480. If AIB partners do have a price premium over the reference, that sort of pricing is going to kill the 480 altogether. Availability on both cards doesn't look great however.

The lack of AIB 480's hitting reviewers really seems strange at this point in the cards launch. Not being available for buying is one thing but not getting sent out to reviewers is bizarre. I wonder if AMD is hoarding chips for themselves or maybe there's an issue with production.

Maybe they are trying to sell of the reference models first and get rid of inventory before they have to drop price to compete with the 1060.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

If the dude from overclockers.co.uk is correct, and AMD has huge backorders on the reference cards, then it makes sense that AIB partners aren't getting enough chips to make boards with. At some stage consumers are going to have to start punishing both companies for paper launching products but there's no real hope of that happening, particularly if leaks are to be avoided. At €200-250 the 480 has a chance against the 1060, but not at the same price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

At €200-250 the 480 has a chance against the 1060, but not at the same price point.

Except it seems the AIB 1060's are on sale now! AMD really screwed up this launch imho.

I can see the 480 dropping in price by about 20-30 quid shortly with the AIB cards landing out at the current price or slightly below to make them still attractive.

• Advertisement

Advertisement