Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

grizzly wrote: »
    Would like one of these to replace my nvidia 770. Does anyone know if my Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 motherboard would support it?
    definitely, it will still be a standard PCIe x3.0 slot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I feel sorry for all the people who will be shortly trying to off load second hand 970s to trade up, with this around the corner with similar performance, and new for an asking price lower than the second hand 970s on adverts at the moment
    I wouldn't be so sure. The NVIDIA driver support is first class. We usually get new drivers on the same day as major releases optimised for those games.

In my case I also have a G-Sync monitor so AMD isn't an option.

Also the price here will be well over €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I don't think nvidia gives as much rats about the lower end now. They're moving on to power Ai.

It shows in their strategy with pascal "founders" pricing. cough " twunts" . A 1080ti is now going to be closer to 1000 euro in pricing.

I'd say They will coast on 1070 sales.

At least I hope this. Don't want them owning lower end market too. Not good for consumers in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I wouldnt like to see AMD not compete in the upper end market though, it would leave Nvidia with no competition which can only be a bad thing for us.

Hopefully there is a 490 on the cards too or a fury x reloaded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

We should be seeing AMD's hard hitters closer to October when vega is announced. AMD know what they are doing though. Something like 80% of the market are in the rx480 price range. it's still gonna be a 1080 for me though. I am coasting on integrated graphics right now and cannot make it to winter!

• Advertisement

We should be seeing AMD's hard hitters closer to October when vega is announced. AMD know what they are doing though. Something like 80% of the market are in the rx480 price range. it's still gonna be a 1080 for me though. I am coasting on integrated graphics right now and cannot make it to winter!

Ha did you jump ship to sale high.and now in the no gpu que.

Ha did you jump ship to sale high.and now in the no gpu que.

Nah :P I built a new rig and am waiting to finish it with a gfx card. Going all out this time, 6700k, 1tb m.2 ssd 32 gigs of ram etc etc. Would be a shame to not get the best gpu :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Cant wait for Vega to land , new card pls
    :)

Nah :P I built a new rig and am waiting to finish it with a gfx card. Going all out this time, 6700k, 1tb m.2 ssd 32 gigs of ram etc etc. Would be a shame to not get the best gpu :P

Ha coo cool. Looks solid. Case?

What monitor / running vr?

Ha coo cool. Looks solid. Case?

What monitor / running vr?

Yeah I am working in a studio working on VR stuff right now so spend a few hours in virtual reality a day. Mostly at the office though but it will be nice to get proper performance at home too to chill out in VR without working on things :P

Using an older asus monitor right now. Was waiting to see AMD's offerings before deciding on a monitor. Since it looks like I am going green this time I will be looking at some gsync monitors, which I am not exactly happy about due to the massive price tacked on.

I figure though I will be using this PC for hours a day for at least 5 years so why not invest right now in the best :P

• Advertisement

In bargain alerts was on overclockers I think. Asus rog swift the slightly older version non ips.

Still 27 inch 1440p 144hz gsync. Works out roughly 500 euros. No a bad Monitor at all.

Then the Dell s2716dg again around 15 similar spec.

In bargain alerts was on overclockers I think. Asus rog swift the slightly older version non ips.

Still 27 inch 1440p 144hz gsync. Works out roughly 500 euros. No a bad Monitor at all.

Good stuff, I don't like IPS myself.

I will be waiting though til I have the gpu in my hands I think before I go looking at monitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Wasn't that b-grade though. And OCUK offer a garbage b-grade warranty - 30 days I think. A lot of money to spend on something that you've no idea why it was returned in the first place and no warranty.

Wouldn't touch OCUK's b-grade stock personally, it's about 80% new cost with no warranty - at least Dabs offered a six month warranty on b-grade stuff before they withdrew from IReland.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Rumblings from the web are $199 for 4GB ref. $229 for 8GB ref. This would be roughly €210 for the 4GB and €250 for the 8GB for us. Not bad really, considering this was 380X territory.
    AIBs are slated for launch day availability. June 29th gives them enough time to ship and set up stock. Most common configurations are x2 6pin and x1 6+8pin.
    Do not expect the triple fan Strix on this, but rather a 2 fan, no RGB edition Strix at launch. People over at Guru3D suspect that the x3 fan version will probably be reserved for Vega/Polaris CFD:0 (which is expected to have 2560 SPs). People are guessing Dual 6pin, as this was found on the Strix 380X.
    MSI's Twin Frozr VI will be used on the card, but not the Z Gaming version. The Gaming and X Gaming versions will be available at launch. Expect Armour X2 to launch aswell. No news on the Aero blower style. Dual 6pin on all.
    Sapphire is using a Dual-Fan set-up, with dual 6pin for both editions.
    Gigabyte is using it's Windforce x3 design and Windforce X2 designs. The Xtreme series is reserved for nVidia only. 6+8pin.
    Finally, XFX are continuing their Diamond style coolers, with dual fans. Black Editions come with back-plates, the rest don't. Dual 6pin, although 380X Black OC XXX came with 6+8pin so who knows.
    No news on PowerColor outside their liquid coolers.

Don't know how much you can believe Raja, but his interview with LTT said that the reference is very quiet as their isn't much heat from a 150W card. Which is reasonable enough, although I'd wait for AIB solutions if you inted to OC.
    On the topic of OCing, if the card can hit 1400MHz stable, it should be able to rival the stock 980Ti in synthetics. Whether a 12% OC can be achieved is unknown however.
    All in all, the RX 480 is looking to be something pretty sweet. I think that while AMD were pushing for Dual setups, this might have been keeping VR in-mind, (plus sneakliy asking for more sales) but I'd say most are probably going to stick with 1 of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

If the little feckers get X fire working with 1 card per eye I'll be staying red team for sure!

Love the X-fire pushing for more sales - cheeky sods. Blatantly trying to take advantage of any confusion over SLI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    Rumblings from the web are $199 for 4GB ref. $229 for 8GB ref. This would be roughly €210 for the 4GB and €250 for the 8GB for us.
    It would cost a lot more than that for us here. EU prices for graphics cards are well higher than the US.

It would cost a lot more than that for us here. EU prices for graphics cards are well higher than the US.

It's not that they are higher it's that US prices don't include tax.

The prices bandied about convert dollars to euro and then add VAT. They're not going to be far off if you use the right suppliers.

What we might have to consider is deliver charges but that applies to nVidia as well.

Interesting that the PCB is quite short.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Wasn't that b-grade though. And OCUK offer a garbage b-grade warranty - 30 days I think. A lot of money to spend on something that you've no idea why it was returned in the first place and no warranty.

Wouldn't touch OCUK's b-grade stock personally, it's about 80% new cost with no warranty - at least Dabs offered a six month warranty on b-grade stuff before they withdrew from IReland.

I picked up the AOC that Xeno linked, saved the guts of like €150+

Friend mentioned they honoured his failed GPU six months after purchase(B Grade) and their own forums have large feedback that OCUK honour warranties well after the 90 days that they outline.

They dont have a top rep for nothing ;)

I'm also happy enough with the AOC having a 3 year warranty, so might have sometime left on that also

Even if they do try and offer 30/90 days it's very unlikely to have legal effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Just dropping in here, Does anybody know any irish/uk places taking pre orders. Was about to ask on dabs facebook page, when i realized their gone.

So its $200 - Which translate to €150 + added tax = €200 + shops realizing we can slap a few bob more onto it =250 then the added tax on the increase means

€270-300

Thats sound about right to people?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

bpb101 wrote: »
    Just dropping in here, Does anybody know any irish/uk places taking pre orders. Was about to ask on dabs facebook page, when i realized their gone.

So its $200 - Which translate to €150 + added tax = €200 + shops realizing we can slap a few bob more onto it =250 then the added tax on the increase means

€270-300

Thats sound about right to people?
    Considering the R9 380 had a $199 retail and we saw it for €220 in the 4GB version here, and it dropped to €200 when the 380X came out, so €270 is a bit unreasonable, even for the 8GB version IMO.

Expect it like this: €220 for the 4GB and €250 for the 8GB. Remember, AMD are hunting the mainstream, so I would say they are being strict on the pricing. After all, they are looking to control the Chinese, Russian and Eastern markets, so I don't think these will bounce high.

Concerning the pre-order idea, wait for Scan, OCUK and maybe Amazon (if you are a Prime user) as they offer the items on pre-order basis. But I'm pretty sure you pay before the item even launches, not like BestBuy where it's 50% deposit.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Leak on Reddit, the 8GB version will retail for about 270 euro...

58i7U7n.png

That's not much to go on though. A screenshot from earlier would have shown the GTX1070 iChill selling for €419. With the GTX1070 now selling for a ridiculous €500+ the 480 8GB could be €300 and still be good value in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

That's not much to go on though. A screenshot from earlier would have shown the GTX1070 iChill selling for €419. With the GTX1070 now selling for a ridiculous €500+ the 480 8GB could be €300 and still be good value in comparison.

Is it really good value tho?

The few leaked benchmarks that have come out, show the 480 giving R9 390 levels of performance. Seeing you can currently pick up a after market 390 for 300ish quid, I'm just not seeing it as that much of a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Venom wrote: »
    That's not much to go on though. A screenshot from earlier would have shown the GTX1070 iChill selling for 419. With the GTX1070 now selling for a ridiculous 500+ the 480 8GB could be 300 and still be good value in comparison.

The few leaked benchmarks that have come out, show the 480 giving R9 390 levels of performance. Seeing you can currently pick up a after market 390 for 300ish quid, I'm just not seeing it as that much of a bargain.
    Lower power consumption. Doesn't bother me but people are always raving about AMD cards being bad while Nvidia being good.

Venom wrote: »

Ah, my mistake. I really haven't been following the 480 at all, thought it was going to be faster than that. I agree, unless it actually was €220 or so, it's a dud like the 1070 is right now at that ridiculous €500 price point. Some very interesting threads popping up all over forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Ah, my mistake. I really haven't been following the 480 at all, thought it was going to be faster than that. I agree, unless it actually was €220 or so, it's a dud like the 1070 is right now at that ridiculous €500 price point. Some very interesting threads popping up all over forums.

I don't think the 1070 is a dud, more a case of it not being as cheap as people were hoping it would be. Going by the various benchmarks out there, the 1070 gets you 980 Ti (€669ish) levels of performance for €500.

A lot of people seem to readily accept that, but it's supposed to be a generation jump. :confused:

The GTX970 fought the GTX780 at almost half it's price, the 770 fought the GTX680, the GTX670 fought the GTX580.

Now the GTX1070, the supposed new mid range champion, is fighting the high end range card from last generation - but they expect you to pay almost the full cost. The cheapest GTX1070's are around €470, the cheapest 980Ti's are already dropping to about €530 and many of those are very decent models.

That's not what was promised by Nvidia or how it was marketed either. To me, €500 for a GTX1070 makes it a dud. It needs to be around €400. All the reviews praising it's glory are all based on an RRP of $379 and the incredible value for money.

Somehow I doubt they'd be so full of praise if the RRP was $579 which is what the EU is paying right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Advertisement