Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

SickBoy wrote: »
    Your USB drive is probably formatted for NTFS which is not a supported file system for the update within the UEFI
    Changed it to FAT32

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

review of the sapphire nitro+ card is up. pretty much as expected i'd say, closes the gap on the 1060. model reviewed is the 4gb. looking forward to getting my 8gb , come on OC, ship the bloody thing. first of the pre-orders are shipping this weekend, i've fingers crossed here i am in it

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3098825/components-graphics/sapphire-nitro-rx-480-review-polaris-rethought-and-refined.html

Christ on a bike I got the bios to update.... But now im getting a message after the windows icon, Inaccessible boot device.... Any suggestions.... So close I though I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Glebee wrote: »
    Christ on a bike I got the bios to update.... But now im getting a message after the windows icon, Inaccessible boot device.... Any suggestions.... So close I though I was there.

Your SATA mode might have defaulted to ATA instead of AHCI/RAID mode.

Just getting a black screen now. Wont let me back into UEFI configuration.
    PC coming on but monitor dead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

With your new graphics card plugged in?

jonnycivic wrote: »
    With your new graphics card plugged in?

Nope, still the old one. Think I may have altered the boot sequence. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,654 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Had my mind set on getting a 4gb 480, but a friends offered me a 290x for 150. Anyone have any idea what the performance comparison would be like for 1080p gaming?

Scratch that, cleared CMOS and it let me boot back into UEFI screen.
    Don't know what boot order to set up though. If it get this sorted Ill buy ye all a pint...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Scratch that, cleared CMOS and it let me boot back into UEFI screen.
    Don't know what boot order to set up though. If it get this sorted Ill buy ye all a pint...

Generally set the boot order to your hard drive first, then USB then CD is what I go by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Had my mind set on getting a 4gb 480, but a friends offered me a 290x for 150. Anyone have any idea what the performance comparison would be like for 1080p gaming?

Very little between them atm, id take the 290X. Just beware it's probably loud

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    If you're willing to mod, throw an aftermarket cooler at it (e.g. Gelid Icy Vision rev.2) and you'll get similar performance.

Be aware that the 290x would draw a lot more power, though you could undervolt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well, it might be a third party 290X, probably more likely that it is really than being a reference cooler. At 150 it's a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,654 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah it's an XFX I'm fairly certain.

Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

mossym wrote: »
    review of the sapphire nitro+ card is up. pretty much as expected i'd say, closes the gap on the 1060. model reviewed is the 4gb. looking forward to getting my 8gb , come on OC, ship the bloody thing. first of the pre-orders are shipping this weekend, i've fingers crossed here i am in it

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3098825/components-graphics/sapphire-nitro-rx-480-review-polaris-rethought-and-refined.html

Very nice especially for the price point, 200 seems great value compared to 250 for the 8GB as I wouldn't be more than a casual gamer. Very tempted but if I buy can't stream to my Shield TV. Too much choice at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Finally caved and preordered the 8gb version of the nitro. The 4gb would be plenty, but may as well buy it for the little bit of future proofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

RossieMan wrote: »
    Finally caved and preordered the 8gb version of the nitro. The 4gb would be plenty, but may as well buy it for the little bit of future proofing.

How did you do it? Do you add it to your cart or am I doing it wrong? Anytime I tried, my basket always stayed empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Just added it to basket. Didn't make an account or anything, just checked out with PayPal.

No issues, 256.20 was the cost.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Just added it to basket. Didn't make an account or anything, just checked out with PayPal.

No issues, 256.20 was the cost.

Thanks for that! I can't even get it inmy basket....hmmm, might give them a ring or ask on the forums. Mindfactory have them for €20 more, which fir that price, I could just aswell get a Fury.

Just want to say thanks folks for all the advice earler today when I was trying to get new graphics card working. Got it working at last and just had a quick go on the Division. Wow, so thats what that game is ment to look like, playing on ultra and smooth as a dice. Earlier once I got my bios upgraded on my motherboard I ended up messing something up in my settings so had to do a clean install of Windows 7. Not a big deal I hope only games on the PC which can be redownloaded. Upgraded back up to Windows 10 so overall very happy.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Been having a lot of trouble with my system the last few days. Sometimes I'll have a complete system freeze and sometimes my wireless adapter seems to turn itself off. This only seems to happen when downloading a large file through steam. I wonder is my wifi adapter and the gpu battling for power? Is that a thing that can happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Been having a lot of trouble with my system the last few days. Sometimes I'll have a complete system freeze and sometimes my wireless adapter seems to turn itself off. This only seems to happen when downloading a large file through steam. I wonder is my wifi adapter and the gpu battling for power? Is that a thing that can happen?

How big is your power supply?
    Are you gaming at the same time as downloading?
    WiFi adapter should not be drawing a lot of power.

chrismon wrote: »
    How big is your power supply?
    Are you gaming at the same time as downloading?
    WiFi adapter should not be drawing a lot of power.

It's only with Steam downloads though. I downloaded ME3 through Origin without issue. PSU is Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W. It actually seems to happen more often when I leave the computer doing nothing but downloading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It might be the wifi driver. For example, I have an Asus ac68 and with certain drivers when using torrents - and nothing else - it crashes, every ten minutes or so reliably. After a lot of mooching around, eventually I found a driver that works perfectly with Win10.

It might be the wifi driver. For example, I have an Asus ac68 and with certain drivers when using torrents - and nothing else - it crashes, every ten minutes or so reliably. After a lot of mooching around, eventually I found a driver that works perfectly with Win10.

It's only since installing the 480 though. I'll look for a wifi driver just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Set up another thread so it don't get lost in other posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Digital Foundry - RX 480 4Gb vs 8Gb

Only a 1-3fps difference between the cards in current games.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Digital Foundry - RX 480 4Gb vs 8Gb

Only a 1-3fps difference between the cards in current games.
    Yep, once you OC the memory, the minimums are the same as the 8GB version

As for the guy wanting to know the specification length, it's up on the Sapphire.nitro page, it's around 250mm long

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

You wouldnt be buying the 8GB version for extra performance,you would be buying it for the few games where 6gb+ is needed for things like texture quality etc. GTA V can use 6GB with high enough settings,Shadow of Mordor and its High Res Texture pack also uses 6GB's. Super Sampling will also use more video memory.Also mods can be a bit video memory hungry in certain games.

The 8GB models are there for the odd outlier imo,most games wont see any real benefit from it but there are some that will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

EoinHef wrote: »
    You wouldnt be buying the 8GB version for extra performance,you would be buying it for the few games where 6gb+ is needed for things like texture quality etc. GTA V can use 6GB with high enough settings,Shadow of Mordor and its High Res Texture pack also uses 6GB's. Super Sampling will also use more video memory.Also mods can be a bit video memory hungry in certain games.

The 8GB models are there for the odd outlier imo,most games wont see any real benefit from it but there are some that will.

I think memory usage and allocation is a little more complicated then that. Just because a game is using x amount of vram doesn't mean that the game needs to use that ram at that time. I think bandwidth is far more important in the short term.

Advertisement