Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

They upped the price of the Nitro 4GB on OCUK from 199.99 GBP to 204.99 GBP

The core clock is still listed as TBC

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭SwarfegaHead

For those of you with orders on OcUK, the shipment they expected on the 5th was cancelled apparently, and theyre not expecting another to arrive until next weekend. Its a bit of a pain having ordered the card a month ago, when the ETA was 22nd of July. I was really hoping to have it by the 12th as No Mans Sky is out and I have 2 weeks off work. I dont think my 5850 is gonna cut it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Contact them .Tell them it's a birthday present for 12th and ask is there anyway to get it for them as you don't want to disappoint the birthday person.
    Worth a try.
    They have decent cs.

It's not a case of OcUK NOT releasing the cards, I'm afraid, its that they literally don't have the 8GB cards to ship. The few cards theyve gotten in since the 22nd have all gone to early preorders. Last webnote I sent I was told I was ~70 in the preorder que, so Im guessing Im almost guaranteed a card when they get their next shipment from Sapphire. Its just a case of being patient for another week or so. If only my 270x hadnt crapped its pants like 3 months out of warranty!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I am kinda stuck about what card to get. In one corner I want a 480 as I want to get a new monitor that has freesync. But the 470 is nearly as fast but then again the 1060 isnt that much more than a 480.

Choices, choices!

Same here, I'm down to either a 4GB Nitro or a 6GB 1060, for 40 pounds more the 1060 is a nice card for the premium but I don't feel the 8GB 480 Nitro is worth the same premium. As you said choices, I've ordered both, which ever ships first is the one I am keeping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Yeah that seems to be the general census even on the tech sites. I am either going to go for the 470 or the 1060. I was kinda hoping that the prices for the 480 drop along with the 470. My GPU is the only thing holding my PC back at the moment.
    The 480 has one thing going for it over the 1060, the possibility of adding a second down the line for ~1080 level performance. You can't link two 1060's afaik.

I'm not planning on building for a few months yet, so I'm interested to see where the prices fall then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I'm going to cancel my preorder for the 8gb nitro. Sick to death of waiting. What's the best 1060 that's available now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

RossieMan wrote: »
    I'm going to cancel my preorder for the 8gb nitro. Sick to death of waiting. What's the best 1060 that's available now?

Strix OC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

No interest in SLI to be honest, ever time down the line I think of adding a second car its more economical to get a newer card. I do want to get a new freesync monitor like this AOC one:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-g2460pf-24-1920x1080-tn-freesync-144hz-1ms-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-030-ao.html

Which kinda means I have to go with a 470 or a 480.

That is a nice monitor if I could sell my current monitor that would be my next buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

RossieMan wrote: »

MSI OC (white or red), or KFA2

• Advertisement

Just realised OCUK is listing 2 different prices depending on which browser I open. I'm guessing they're upping the price based on the fact that I've been checking that product occasionally for the last while. Sneaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Just realised OCUK is listing 2 different prices depending on which browser I open. I'm guessing they're upping the price based on the fact that I've been checking that product occasionally for the last while. Sneaky.

Lots of places do that these days

Curious though what's the difference?

dunworth1 wrote: »
    Lots of places do that these days

Doesn't excuse it.
    dunworth1 wrote: »
    Curious though what's the difference?
    They upped the price of the Nitro 4GB on OCUK from 199.99 GBP to 204.99 GBP

The core clock is still listed as TBC

The 8GB version goes from 249.95 GBP on Chromium logged out >>> 256.20 GBP on Firefox logged in.

I preorder the 8gb and I had to pay 256.20. it keeps changing on checkout. Shows as 249.95 but it'll change on payment. They updated the price about 2 weeks ago.

Cancelling that preorder on Monday and getting something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is that not because it applies a vat difference when you log in and your account is Ireland?

Well I was getting mine sent to parcel motel, so not sure if that applies.

Can confirm. It auto logged me out later on and the prices changed. Sheesh they have the effort to do that but not just list the prices in EUR. I'll probably use Parcel Motel when I order myself.

Finally buckled. Picked up the Zotac 1060 from OCuk for £230 with free delivery to Parcel Motel and UK VAT saving more than the PM cost. Would have loved the Nitro 480 4GB but no sign of it coming into stock, no free delivery and a 3 year warranty vs 5 year on the Zotac means the value just wasn't there against the 1060 without taking into account the extra ram.

Isn't that mini?

I'd get it myself if it wasn't for the fact that I'm on a very tight budget and also I'm really not wanting to have to put up with Nvidia drivers anymore. That warranty is based, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Righto lads, got my Nitro 480 set up and schtuff, so i decided to take it for a whirl.
    (Note I didn't buy the OC version, instead I grabbed the 4GB version)

As of Wattman 16.7.3 (I have no Mem OC cap that others have it seems, nice!)

Stable OC with auto Voltage (I can't adjust that however...)
    Core: 1389Mhz and Mem: 2018Mhz.
    I dropped it down to 1300 and 1800 respectively, as the fans were very quiet there. All in all a great little card

• Advertisement

Isn't that mini?

I'd get it myself if it wasn't for the fact that I'm on a very tight budget and also I'm really not wanting to have to put up with Nvidia drivers anymore. That warranty is based, though.

Yeah it's the mini, as I said I was all set for the Nitro 4GB, especially as I think they will only improve against the 1060s as more DX12/Vulcun comes online but given the 30 pound premium, the savings on the shipping covered over half the cost alone but it was pushing my budget. In the end the warranty did it for me.

Small update from staff over on OcUKs forums:
    "The good news is Sapphire now have taken delivery of RX 480 GPU shipments from AMD this weekend, so we will hopefully see Sapphire shipping some good volume this week on RX 480 Nitro's."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Nice one, im sure Sapphire will turn them around fairly quickly to get them out to the customers who are waiting.

(Plus Sapphire will get paid and not loose any more orders due to cancellations for a reason that is outside of Sapphire's control)

Yeah Im crossing my fingers and toes that there'll be large numbers getting to customers soon. The huge amounts of preorders surely took a hit due to all the delays. I've been using Sapphire cards since I built my system like 6 years ago and I've never had any issues, and this one came along at an ideal time and just within my budget, so I've been pretty determined to wait it out!

i was chatting to an agent from overclockers today, shipment on the 12th expected to be delayed he said. Unknown delivery date.

I've cancelled my order.

^ Going with a different card or different retailer?

What time was this at, if you don't mind me asking? Their purchasing manager said Sapphire had gotten a new shipment of cards from AMD over the weekend and they were hoping to have the Nitros leaving Hong Kong this week. If I'm waiting another 2 weeks I think Im just gonna cave a buy a reference card.

It was at a quarter past 5.

I rang to see would it be delivered this week, I was 112 in the list and he said it was highly doubtful I would get one with this week's shipment. I've ordered a 1060 instead for only 10 sterling more, but with the exchange rate it's actually working out at the same price.

Thats a right kick in the pants. I was 70 when I asked about a week and a half ago. They seemed to be pretty confident theyd be getting a pretty large shipment this time, after the delay on the one due on the 5th. I'll wait for an update til the end of the week, I guess. Im just not prepared to sit out my 2 weeks holidays running on my old 5850.

• Advertisement

After exchange rate the 4GB 480 vs the 6GB 1080 it looks like €246.874 for AMD and €303.81 for Nvidia. I guess you were comparing the 8GB version, Rossie?

I'm going with the 4GB because I haven't seen anything beyond a couple of frames different between 4-8GB @ 1080p gaming, not to mention I use very limited post processing because I feel I don't see it outside of screenshots and it just eats frames.

Advertisement