Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

I just got my shipment confirmation from OcUK, so there are definitely cards going out today!

*stares at inbox*

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hangar18_

Just got my shipping email from overclockers, 4gb sapphire nitro + on its way. 4gb also in stock now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

THe 480? Saw 460-70 available a while ago. 470 is 24 EUR cheaper with only about 7ish frames worse in benchmarks

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hangar18_

Ya the 480 I ordered mine when it was £199 i see the 470 is £193 now. Only 7 480 in stock now. I'm upgrading from a 750ti.

I ordered my 480 4GB Nitro myself now, too. Was £209.99 and got a displayport cable to match it since the card only has 1 DVI. My main screen has DP but secondary needs DVI so I'll DP the main and DVI the secondary. I'm replacing broken GTX 660 TI

Parcel Motel to reduce the shipping cost. (€3.95)

Total in EUR: €259

Not too bad I think. Now to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I just bought one of the RX460's and an RX470 4GB to see what they're like. It came to €118 posted from OCUK for the 460, and €201 for the 470 :)

Screw it, was still on the waiting list and then I spotted a 1070 B Grade for only extra 100 pounds so went for that instead!
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-grade-zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-amp-extreme-spectra-rgb-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-bg-01e-zt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Screw it, was still on the waiting list and then I spotted a 1070 B Grade for only extra 100 pounds so went for that instead!
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-grade-zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-amp-extreme-spectra-rgb-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-bg-01e-zt.html

What does B Grade mean? Is it defective in some way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

It might reduce the warranty to 90 days, even if the manufacturer says its longer. Double check that.
    Some manufacturers might be ok about it but its a great get out of warranty card in that you bought a "seconds" item from the retailer in the first place.

SickBoy wrote: »
    What does B Grade mean? Is it defective in some way?

Yeah, what Lightning said.
    Read a few threads and their B grade goes anywhere to perfect in box to a few bits like cables or guides missing.

The rep I told to said that he doesn't know about these particular ones, but all units are tested and working as new.

Way I see it, with the amount of people buying multiple cards to check them out and then returning the ones they don't like, I might luck out and get a nearly brand new card, so fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Yeah, what Lightning said.
    Read a few threads and their B grade goes anywhere to perfect in box to a few bits like cables or guides missing.

The rep I told to said that he doesn't know about these particular ones, but all units are tested and working as new.

Way I see it, with the amount of people buying multiple cards to check them out and then returning the ones they don't like, I might luck out and get a nearly brand new card, so fingers crossed!

And will you still maintain full 5 year warranty or just 90 days like Redfox25 mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Nvidia is doing a surprisingly good job putting price/performance pressure on AMD... Vega is going to have to do much better for AMD than Polaris if they've any hope of getting people off the 1070/80.

Nvidia is doing a surprisingly good job putting price/performance pressure on AMD... Vega is going to have to do much better for AMD than Polaris if they've any hope of getting people off the 1070/80.

I don't think Nvidia is AMD's concern.

AMD are churning 480 chips out for Neo PS4 and probably Scorpio Xbox ... hence the lack of availability of the 480 . Iirc ,the aim of Polaris was to bring VR to the masses cheaply ,not to take on NV . AMD have it sorted on the first point. The main VR platform will be PS , not PC , so you have to think that Nvidia have been a bit left out this time around and heading into the future . NV are nowhere in the average household whereas AMD are installed into every household that has a PS or XB and that's not going to change for a good while yet.

VEGA .

I reckon that the Vega will be about 30-40% faster than Polaris and will cost €500 ( based on the performance difference of 280 vs 290 and the fact that the 480 is as fast and no faster than a 290 ) . If AMD can bring Vega in at those figure then it will be a winner in the PC market.

My2c .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I don't think Nvidia is AMD's concern.

AMD are churning 480 chips out for Neo PS4 and probably Scorpio Xbox ... hence the lack of availability of the 480 . Iirc ,the aim of Polaris was to bring VR to the masses cheaply ,not to take on NV . AMD have it sorted on the first point. The main VR platform will be PS , not PC , so you have to think that Nvidia have been a bit left out this time around and heading into the future . NV are nowhere in the average household whereas AMD are installed into every household that has a PS or XB and that's not going to change for a good while yet.

VEGA .

I reckon that the Vega will be about 30-40% faster than Polaris and will cost €500 ( based on the performance difference of 280 vs 290 and the fact that the 480 is as fast and no faster than a 290 ) . If AMD can bring Vega in at those figure then it will be a winner in the PC market.

My2c .

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Nvidia still sitting at 57% of Steam users.

I check those stats often. Doesn't surprise me in the least. Nvidia have always been known to be more popular. Although the stats are purely from voluntary users so it's not the clearest picture especially for the linux stats since there's a big crossover of users who avoid avoidable/unnessecary data sharing and use linux and often don't even use steam for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I just bought one of the RX460's and an RX470 4GB to see what they're like. It came to €118 posted from OCUK for the 460, and €201 for the 470 :)

Hey TF - Anything to report on those?

I'm still waiting to upgrade from a HD 6870 from my 2500k build back in 2011 and I'm looking to upgrade at long last, and now I'm thinking a 4gb(or 8gb) RX470 might be a good enough upgrade for stuff like Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 in 1080 without busting the bank completely..!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

A 460 will be a big upgrade Shlippery, and will play The Witcher and Fallout no problem, so a 470 will fly

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Nvidia still sitting at 57% of Steam users.

Totally ... but... the main market by a massive margin is the console market , and NV don't exist in that market.

The PC video card market isn't actually that big in the scheme of things . The very large majority of household computers are tablets , laptops and then pc's with a very small amount of enthusiasts that actually buy video cards and a small amount of them that buy expensive video cards. AMD where fast to realize this and now dominate the console market with their cpu's and gpu's .

Look at the total global sales of XB and PS4 to May/ 16 ,

"
    PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 40,589,739

Xbox One Total Sales: 21,055,528 "

source,
    http://n4g.com/news/1907597/ps4-vs-xbox-one-vs-wii-u-global-lifetime-sales-april-2016-update

NV are are kicking themselves they didn't get in earlier I'd say.

The margin is tiny on those sectors though. AMD is in a terrible financial position at the moment and there has been talk of collapse in the next five years. Nvidia on the other hand is doing just fine....

AMD total revenue and operating income 2015: 1 billion/minus 8 million

Nvidia total revenue and operating income 2015: 5 billion/747 million

The GPU market is lucrative. The console APU market is not.

• Advertisement

Shlippery wrote: »
    Hey TF - Anything to report on those?

I'm still waiting to upgrade from a HD 6870 from my 2500k build back in 2011 and I'm looking to upgrade at long last, and now I'm thinking a 4gb(or 8gb) RX470 might be a good enough upgrade for stuff like Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 in 1080 without busting the bank completely..!

I got them but haven't had a chance to test them. Will benchmark both over the weekend, hopefully, if I have time. In your case I'd go for a 4GB 470 though definitely. Should get €50 for the 6870 so the overall cost would still be only around 150.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I got them but haven't had a chance to test them. Will benchmark both over the weekend, hopefully, if I have time. In your case I'd go for a 4GB 470 though definitely. Should get €50 for the 6870 so the overall cost would still be only around 150.

Thanks TerrorFirmer, and DS!

Sounds good, will aim for this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powercolor-radeon-rx-470-red-devil-4096mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-18b-pc.html Friday week when I get paid!

And a side question, as I'm not too familiar with OCUK,- I see you can pay with Amazon and free UK Delivery, but are OCUK decent for using Parcel Motel or are they odd about it?

OCUK do free delivery to Ireland on the RX cards at the moment. I ordered a load of stuff the other day and I threw in an extra RX460 just to get the free shipping. :D

The delivery is free but the price went up with an irish address so I used parcel motel anyway. My 4GB 480 is in Ireland now. PM even sent me a picture of it to tease me :P

The price goes up because of Irish VAT rate - it's only a few pounds, think my RX460 when from £99 to £101 and the 470 went from £169 to £174 or similar. Still much cheaper than buying from Amazon or the EU sites when delivery is factored.

Amazon also changes prices when you log in with an Irish address.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I'd be sickened if I had gone for the 480. Delivery has been a joke. Got my 1060 2 weeks ago and it's been fine. It's not pretty looking. But does the job.

Was more than a few pounds when I checked it. Mine arrived in 2 working days since I didn't order too long ago. I don't mind waiting anyway.

Loving the witcher @1080p 60+fps. I'm glad I was able to get the kind of performance I was looking for at these settings. Other games are performing better too ofc. I like the AMD FPS goal thing.

Having issues with the drivers on linux, though.

The margin is tiny on those sectors though. AMD is in a terrible financial position at the moment and there has been talk of collapse in the next five years. Nvidia on the other hand is doing just fine....

AMD total revenue and operating income 2015: 1 billion/minus 8 million

Nvidia total revenue and operating income 2015: 5 billion/747 million

The GPU market is lucrative. The console APU market is not.

Hopefully this year will be a better one for AMD with the new gpu's and the release of the next , next gen consoles on the horizon. It's a strange one the way AMD aren't making money with their market share . It makes me wonder if their not deliberately losing cash so Intel and NV look better , brown envelopes and all that to keep the anti competition lobbies away :eek:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Advertisement

It's official. The card doesn't work on linux (or at least my distro). So disappointing. Considering returning it for an nvidia card now. Apparently it could take months to get support. Depressed now.

Advertisement