Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Linux graphics drivers on odd distros is hardly a shocker... is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I thought it would be on par or at least functioning to a standard like the nvidia drivers. But I can't even get GUI. It's not like I wanted top tier gaming performance. Just better performance on desktop graphical things and some acceleration on video editors. There is a way to get it working but not on my distro and it still takes a lot of messing around. I might just wait for support to roll around... I'm not sure yet. I can't decide for too long though since there's 14 day return policy. I'm on windows right now where it's working fine but all I do on windows is game :/

I might use intel graphics for linux again for a while until support is added. I hate returning stuff and the amount of time I'd wait for them to process it + get the 1060, all that time I'd still just being using intel graphics except for both windows and linux. Where as at least now I can have some gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

I got them but haven't had a chance to test them. Will benchmark both over the weekend, hopefully, if I have time. In your case I'd go for a 4GB 470 though definitely. Should get €50 for the 6870 so the overall cost would still be only around 150.

Bit the bullet and just ordered the Sapphire Nitro 480 4GB, came to €250 with revolut on OCUK..now I wait..I was gonna get 470, but feck it, it's pay day and the 480 will feel high end for me!

I feel it'll be a whole new world compared to my reference XFX HD 6870..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've actually been using the 480 but only to play Company of Heroes (the first one) LAN, so not much of a workout so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Ive been using the standard 480 8GB verson for a while now and very happy with it. Everything flies along...

I've actually been using the 480 but only to play Company of Heroes (the first one) LAN, so not much of a workout so far!

I'm the same here! Most of the games I play are pretty tame in graphics. I'd rather be playing DOOM (1) w/ mods than nuDOOM (4/2016) anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm the same here! Most of the games I play are pretty tame in graphics. I'd rather be playing DOOM (1) w/ mods than nuDOOM (4/2016) anyway :p

DOOM 2016 is one of the most fun FPS games of the past few years though! :eek:

It's slow and does nothing ambitious or new.

For introducing vertical combat it completely missed an opportunity to do some cool stuff. Momentum doesn't affect melee strength, can't hang on to ledges, can't vault off of walls or do slide attacks.

Melee is also very basic... it's more like a quick-melee that sometimes gets a small cutscene during which there is zero control. Even umodded DOOM 1 had more nuance to the melee, with punching and backing off with precise timing for the pinkies. Even more in Project Burtality which has punches, kicks, combos, knives, air kicks and sliding kicks as well as a chainsaw that leaves full player control when cutting through enemies. In nuDoom anything from picking up keycards, new weapons have a small cutscene, taking away player control. And constant reminders "PRESS E" every time which makes me facepalm.

The amount of enemies on screen is extremely limited and their bodies dissolve so quickly which is weak for such a modern title (again contrast to DOOM where bodies never dissolve and mods where the gore and blood sustain forever). It's not DOOM to me, just another shooter that doesn't get the point.

DOOM 1 was released as shareware and it's open source for nearly 2 decades which is why there's so many custom maps and mods. SnapMap is closed source, denuvo anti-tamper, 60 quid and is constrained by console limitations.

Ultimately I just can't think of any reason why I'd bother playing nuDOOM over original DOOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

More rumour's on a 490 card but nothing definite yet from what I've seen.
    Anyone come across anything decent yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So after researching, I finally decided to get the Sapphire Radeon 480 8G. Will only be playing at max of 1080p but wanted a bit of future proofing. But was wondering what's the difference between
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01J1J7SKK/ref=s9_simh_gw_g147_i2_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=Z4KVMN91T19T57Q6YX2D&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=026d359a-cb34-4790-9249-ec9f152ee8e2&pf_rd_i=desktop
    and
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IQS6NI0/ref=s9_simh_gw_g147_i2_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=6HRAG4890437VG81FRYQ&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=026d359a-cb34-4790-9249-ec9f152ee8e2&pf_rd_i=desktop

other than availability and £10 price difference?

Side note: I've a 450w PSU that powered my 6870. Would that do for this or any recommendations of what to get instead?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So after researching, I finally decided to get the Sapphire Radeon 480 8G. Will only be playing at max of 1080p but wanted a bit of future proofing. But was wondering what's the difference between
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01J1J7SKK/ref=s9_simh_gw_g147_i2_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=Z4KVMN91T19T57Q6YX2D&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=026d359a-cb34-4790-9249-ec9f152ee8e2&pf_rd_i=desktop
    and
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IQS6NI0/ref=s9_simh_gw_g147_i2_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=6HRAG4890437VG81FRYQ&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=026d359a-cb34-4790-9249-ec9f152ee8e2&pf_rd_i=desktop

Side note: I've a 450w PSU that powered my 6870. Would that do for this or any recommendations of what to get instead?

I just got the 4Gb sapphire from a 6870, absolutely amazing upgrade and I've a 500w psu, I think the 450w you have will be fine if it's in any way decent!

I think OCUK are nearly best for stock at the moment and work out cheaper than Amazon, (you can still login and pay with Amazon though)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

CastorTroy wrote: »
    and

They are both the same product.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

A good 450w will be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

On my current build I have an R9 270 Gaming 2Gb from MSI, so I reckon it's time for an upgrade. Playing the likes of Elite Dangerous, Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and so on. Gaming at 1080p so really torn between the rx480, rx470 or a 1060. Budget is around €300, anyone any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

On my current build I have an R9 270 Gaming 2Gb from MSI, so I reckon it's time for an upgrade. Playing the likes of Elite Dangerous, Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and so on. Gaming at 1080p so really torn between the rx480, rx470 or a 1060. Budget is around €300, anyone any recommendations?

You can't really go wrong with any of them. The 480 is the best sub €300 card though. It depends what games you play really. The 1060 is better for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

hey, so is this card adequate for VR gaming? the 480 that is.. thinking of getting a vive or oculus. I doubt my HD7950 is good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

monster1 wrote: »
    hey, so is this card adequate for VR gaming? the 480 that is.. thinking of getting a vive or oculus. I doubt my HD7950 is good enough

Most VR games aren't very graphically intensive. The main problem is the extremely high res and frame rate required for a good experience.

You probably want at least a 1070.

oh ok thanks, i will need to replace my motherboard too as its only registering 4Gb of ram instead of 16. its an asus z77 extreme 4.
    Will a 450W power supply be enough? and also I have an i5 3570k.

• Advertisement

monster1 wrote:
    oh ok thanks, i will need to replace my motherboard too as its only registering 4Gb of ram instead of 16. its an asus z77 extreme 4. Will a 450W power supply be enough? and also I have an i5 3570k.

Try the ram in a different pc if possible, its more than likely bad ram than motherboard! I had similar issue this week and needed new sticks!

iv tried all the ram in 1 slot and they work. just wont work with them all in, they are 4 x 4gb ripshaw i think

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Just ordered a 480 Nitro 4GB from overclockers.

I started with the 1060 6GB last week, then went to the 1060 3GB after a bit of research. But stock levels on these are so bad and I think the real reason I am paying more for these is due to supply & demand.

I know another £35 would have gotten me the EVGA 1060 6GB but I decided it just was not worth the extra. I think that if the 1060 can drop another 20-30 when stock levels are there then it would be the clear favourite.

I am moving up from a GTX 580 in my main rig at the moment so definitely will be an improvement. At 1080p and for what gaming I do it will be perfect for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

So had my 4GB 480 for a few weeks now, first time having a gaming PC. Haven't taxed it at all yet only been playing Skyrim (3rd time) but running 17 mods and it's a completely different game, looks amazing. Next steam sale will be fun lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

monster1 wrote: »
    oh ok thanks, i will need to replace my motherboard too as its only registering 4Gb of ram instead of 16. its an asus z77 extreme 4.
    Will a 450W power supply be enough? and also I have an i5 3570k.

A good quality 450W PSU will be enough; the 1070 has lower power requirements than the previous generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

My 480 Nitro 4GB arrived in the post yesterday. Only had a chance to unbox it late last night between work and training. But have to say it looks class! Build quality of these cards has certainly moved on in the last couple of generations.

Backplates should be standard on all cards nowadays. I would happily pay a little extra for a card with a backplate over one without if that was the only difference.

Had a few odd hangups with my Sapphire 480, can't tell if it's driver issue or card issue...sometimes during normal use (outside of gaming..), the fans will start going 100% out of nowhere, then I'll open Trixx to adjust and check that fan curve settings are normal, then freeze and blue screen with "Thread Stuck in Device Driver"...bit odd, still working great with games, but the blue screen has happened a few times..

also, they've started giving away Discount codes for BF1 with the 480's on OCUK!
    (maybe cheeky, but if anyone gets a code and doesn't intend on buying BF1t... :P send it my way, sickened I missed out on the campaign period! )

Shlippery wrote: »
    Had a few odd hangups with my Sapphire 480, can't tell if it's driver issue or card issue...sometimes during normal use (outside of gaming..), the fans will start going 100% out of nowhere, then I'll open Trixx to adjust and check that fan curve settings are normal, then freeze and blue screen with "Thread Stuck in Device Driver"...bit odd, still working great with games, but the blue screen has happened a few times..

also, they've started giving away Discount codes for BF1 with the 480's on OCUK!
    (maybe cheeky, but if anyone gets a code and doesn't intend on buying BF1t... :P send it my way, sickened I missed out on the campaign period! )

Weirdly enough I've had 2 black screens while gaming recently for this card on Windows 7. One of them I had to hard reset. On linux I get GUI but freezes for virtual desktop swapping effect (Plasma) and OBS can't pick up any picture, it's all just black whether I try to capture a window or game. Not sure how much is the fault of minimal driver support, X server/general linux stuff or how much is something happening in the metal of the GPU.

AMD settings on W7 also crashes when I try to launch if from taskbar menu. I can just re-launch it but it's strange.

I'm also getting that fan thing where it speeds to 100% like it's trying to cool a volcano but only twice. Once was definitely after the black screen.

Game performance is fine on both W7 and linux. Not sure what the deal is. Hopefully an update to fix it and wider-reaching nonfree drivers for linux, although I'll also need to wait for another update from my distro since it's rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Shlippery wrote: »
    <snip>

Overclockers are meant to be quite cool about offering campaigns to people who just missed out if they send an email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

I'm getting an issue where my screen will go black for like a second and come back again but whatever I'm watching will reset and I'll have to refresh the page. Only started two updates ago and doesn't happen in game so hopefully will get patched out soon.

Advertisement