Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Where the sliders are, do they match CPUZ or Radeon.

Have you tested the CPU usage v the GPU usage?

*should point out I'm throwing **** to see what sticks, try a driver reinstall too

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

are the cpu temps very high in that msi pic? or am i reading it arseways

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I'm having real trouble with my Sapphire 480 Nitro 8GB. I ran a benchmark test with Deus Ex Mankind Divided on preset High settings, and got an average FPS of 33.3. Minimum 3 FPS, maximum 58.8. I ran Mirror's Edge (2009) with everything maxed out, and the frame rate dropped to single digits when the action kicked off. Overwatch is similarly playing worse at High than my old 280x at medium.
    Windows 10 64 bit
    Samsung 850 250GB SSD
    i7 2600 3.4GHz
    8GB RAM
    Radeon Crimson 16.9.2.

Any ideas what's going on? Feeling pretty stupid that I'm getting no difference in performance from a two year old card with 3GB memory...

amdletmedown_zpsri7ti0jk.jpg

Sorry mate but the devil made me do it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Yeah, not sure if my CPU is showing its age or I'm being bottlenecked in some other way.
    Maybe it's just Deus Ex being a resource hog (16GB recommended RAM)
    Things have improved (as they do, with no apparent cause) in Overwatch and ME, but there's too much variance. It should be rock solid 60FPS.
    I'll download The Crew and crank it up, see what's what.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The core speed difference could be due to cpu-z showing the gpu in a low power state ie at the desktop and AMD crimson showing the peak clock the card will reach.

Every core on the i7 spikes with 100% usage in the last afterburner shot on imugur,also the temps in the first afterburner shot are showing 95C plus on each core,which is past where the cpu will throttle. So id check out you didnt bang or knock the cpu cooler when you were installing the card because those temps are not right. And if the cpu is throttling because of them that would explain your fps drops.

• Advertisement

You nailed it! Cooler fan was disconnected from the motherboard. Rejigged the cables and managed to fit everything in.
    Final question for the night: is it dangerous to leave the card supported only by the PCI slot? The screw for the bracket is tormenting me, it won't go through, and has fallen into the GPU twice...

Scratch that. The screw is lost. Should I just leave the tower on its side and continue as normal?

Personally i wouldnt like to leave the PCI slot as the only support in the long run. Do you have any spare screws from the case?
    They should fit the holes in the gpu support bracket.

Had a similar issue with a new gpu myself recently,holes didnt quite line up. Took a bit of massaging but eventually got them lined up. A tip would be to use a magnetic head screwdriver,a lot easier and usually stops the screws from falling into awkward spots.

I'll have a look around the shops tomorrow. I know you can get them from Amazon, it's just the shipping will be stupid for a pack of 50 screws that only cost 2 euro. I have no intention of leaving the PC the way it is (on its side) for the long term or even the medium term, I'm just tired and frustrated from the evening.

Yeah a lot of the time the best option is to just get a bit of sleep and just leave it alone for a bit.

Get some kip and come back to it with fresh eyes.

The screw isnt a major problem either,if someone on boards is local to you they may have spares also.

Thanks for the help everyone, particularly in identifying the cpu cooler problem. I put it down to my terrible cable management. Just feng shui'd the case a bit and got a spare screw.

Everything running lovely now. If only The Crew didn't crash every 10 minutes...I put that down to Ubisoft though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Thanks for the help everyone, particularly in identifying the cpu cooler problem. I put it down to my terrible cable management. Just feng shui'd the case a bit and got a spare screw.

Everything running lovely now. If only The Crew didn't crash every 10 minutes...I put that down to Ubisoft though!

Im also playing the Crew at the moment on a new RX480, 8gig memory though. runs lovely, no crashing. Decent game, dont understand all the hate for it

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Yeah, I like driving games as well, and The Crew is not a bad game at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    It was terrible at launch that's why. Only after they released a massive update recently that it became actually half decent.

Crew has barely changed since Alpha, it requires at least 10 hours before you love/hate it.

The game doesnt get anyway useful until you unlock at least level 20 items for your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

A new RX 480 from XFX....and it's a little beast...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWASNajSdpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Sorry being lazy and not reading back through everything but which 480 would be the best to buy at the moment and where could I get it for the cheapest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

A new RX 480 from XFX....and it's a little beast...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWASNajSdpg

looks pretty decent dont it :D

Anybody know which 480 I should go for? I'm pulling the trigger today but want to make sure I get the best one possible, any help would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anybody know which 480 I should go for? I'm pulling the trigger today but want to make sure I get the best one possible, any help would be much appreciated.

This one the XFX RX 480 GTR.

This one the XFX RX 480 GTR.

Thanks man, this is definitely better than the MSI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Sorry to necro a slighly this thread.

Anyone seen anything on the new AMD cards yet?
    With the black friday deals starting soon I might get a fury nitro to replace my r9 390x if I can see one for a good price.
    Worth the upgrade?
    Hoping to send the 390x back as it shows coil whine now and again.
    Worth waiting or jump now?
    Currently gaming at 1440p 144hz freesync , if the monitor was not free sync I would consider jumping to the dark side.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Sorry to necro a slighly this thread.

Anyone seen anything on the new AMD cards yet?
    With the black friday deals starting soon I might get a fury nitro to replace my r9 390x if I can see one for a good price.
    Worth the upgrade?
    Hoping to send the 390x back as it shows coil whine now and again.
    Worth waiting or jump now?
    Currently gaming at 1440p 144hz freesync , if the monitor was not free sync I would consider jumping to the dark side.

To be honest if you didn't have coil wine it would be a pointless upgrade as the RX 480 is roughly the same performance as a R9 290(x)/390(x)

I'm waiting for the new AMD cards to be released(hopefully soon) as I like you have a 144Hz 1440p freesync monitor and I have a 290 atm which is fine but I would need a more powerful card to push 144Hz at 1440p with max settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Not worth the jump just yet for you.
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-vega-graphics-chip-launch-windows-confirmed/

You'll be waiting until probably Q2 next year for the next gen of AMD cards. They should be worth the wait though.

To be honest if you didn't have coil wine it would be a pointless upgrade as the RX 480 is roughly the same performance as a R9 290(x)/390(x)

I'm waiting for the new AMD cards to be released(hopefully soon) as I like you have a 144Hz 1440p freesync monitor and I have a 290 atm which is fine but I would need a more powerful card to push 144Hz at 1440p with max settings.

Good stuff.

I notice in World of Warcraft since Legion launched that my 390x is struggling at times where it wasnt before.
    It could be more of a cpu thing but my 4690k is well OC'd and doesnt seem to be bottle necking my performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've actually noticed that a huge amount of H81/H97/etc chipsets have issues with polaris, I was actually using a H81 today and even with a 2015 bios, an RX470 didn't work in the board at all! Black screen on boot. With the latest bios it now works OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I'll just leave this here,

And...

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/new-horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

As impressive as that is, Doom running on Vulcan is AMD's best game to showcase by a huge margin.

Id rather see benches of a suite of games rather than one cherry picked game that we know favours AMD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I've actually noticed that a huge amount of H81/H97/etc chipsets have issues with polaris, I was actually using a H81 today and even with a 2015 bios, an RX470 didn't work in the board at all! Black screen on boot. With the latest bios it now works OK.

What's worse is that this type of issue is going to be more and more difficult to uncover, because both camps for the past few years have insisted on releasing yards of barely differentiated, overlapping chipsets, on CPU releases that have minimal performance gains from one generation to the next. This means that there are hundreds or thousands of combinations sitting around way past their supposed obsolescence date, whose users have literally no incentive to upgrade or change.

And tech sites have almost 100% given up on reviewing anything but the highest of the high end boards. If you remember when the news that non-z boards could overclock the pentium anniversary, that was almost entirely driven by forum users, tech sites gave it a passing mention but hardly delved into the subject at all. Anyone who is in the budget/lower mainstream bracket where 75%+ of the sales are is on their own as far as the reviewers are concerned.

So if issues like this crop up on boards or products that aren't halo-worthy then chances are professional reviewers are just going to skip over it.

• Advertisement

Are we still looking at q2 ish 2017 for Vega to launch?

Advertisement