Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

A lot of people seem to readily accept that, but it's supposed to be a generation jump. :confused:

The GTX970 fought the GTX780 at almost half it's price, the 770 fought the GTX680, the GTX670 fought the GTX580.

A generation jump *and* a double process node jump to boot. We should be getting the biggest performance per dollar jump in about a decade for this, but we're really not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

It's kinda dicso

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Damn, thats ugly :eek:

Its like the Tesco version of the card

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I wonder if those fans spin at 78 RPM?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

A generation jump *and* a double process node jump to boot. We should be getting the biggest performance per dollar jump in about a decade for this, but we're really not.

Well, nVidia went the brute force way of just clock the sh1t of our their cards and take out actual hardware. And then proceed to charge through their nose for it. All in a move to 'launch' before AMD, who decided to only go after the mid-range market, and leave them unconstested.

So whilst we would have seen a big jump from the node (AMD quotes a 40% benefit in power effeciency) we only have nVidia to gage it from....who didn't innovate anything this round it seems.

Looks like were waiting for Polaris C:0 and Vega 10-11 to up the ante.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

That is nice! I was gonna go for the KFA 1080 if the price of the 1070 I ordered changes but I might grab one of those and get someone to respray the shroud!

Looks like a wide bastard though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That is nice! I was gonna go for the KFA 1080 if the price of the 1070 I ordered changes but I might grab one of those and get someone to respray the shroud!

Looks like a wide bastard though!
    Looks to be just a double PCIe slot wide. It is a short card so it looks more stout.

Looks to be just a double PCIe slot wide. It is a short card so it looks more stout.

Wide as in high, it goes beyond the mounting plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    Well, nVidia went the brute force way of just clock the sh1t of our their cards and take out actual hardware. And then proceed to charge through their nose for it. All in a move to 'launch' before AMD, who decided to only go after the mid-range market, and leave them unconstested.

So whilst we would have seen a big jump from the node (AMD quotes a 40% benefit in power effeciency) we only have nVidia to gage it from....who didn't innovate anything this round it seems.

Looks like were waiting for Polaris C:0 and Vega 10-11 to up the ante.

I don't think that's quite accurate. Considering we aren't seeing a massive leap from AMD running at the same power (150W) at an even smaller node (14nm vs 16nm) with the 480, saying "NVidia just clocked the sh1t out of their cards" and "didn't innovate anything" doesn't really hold water.

As you say though, we are still looking at quotes from AMD, so we can't really compare just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So AMD threw us a curveball.

Their next revealed cards are the lower-end RX 470 and RX 460.

RX 460 is a 60W card.

• Advertisement

So AMD threw us a curveball.

Their next revealed cards are the lower-end RX 470 and RX 460.

RX 460 is a 60W card.

I thought we knew that :P That and mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

AMD have pretty much hinted at every step that they are competing with Nvidia on price/performance this gen. So I don't know why everybody thinks they are going to be releasing the next killer gfx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 460 in particular could be killer, if they get the price performance ratio right. The GTX750 and 750Ti sold by the absolute bucketload, AMD had no answer to them at all.

I would assume Nvidia have something in the wings as well though for all segments.

The 460 in particular could be killer, if they get the price performance ratio right. The GTX750 and 750Ti sold by the absolute bucketload, AMD had no answer to them at all.

I would assume Nvidia have something in the wings as well though for all segments.

Maxwell rebadged. The final slap in the face for 970-980ti owners :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

bit annoying for us the consumer that amd arnt chasing that performance market, it means nvidia have a monopoly to do with what they will!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

bit annoying for us the consumer that amd arnt chasing that performance market, it means nvidia have a monopoly to do with what they will!

Performance cards will come with Vega which is rumored to be coming around October.

I am interested in seeing how two 480's will do in crossfire with directx 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I could be cynical but I bet that they release the killer cards a few months apart to give each a chance to sell like mad before the opposite company releases its killer card.

I hope that AMD get it right on the performance and price as Nvidea are really milking the current situation.
    (Which I would do too if it was my company)

The "consumer" these days seems to prefer non-intensive MOBAs and FPS games, which the RX 460 is supposedly good-enough for.

Look at Steam Hardware surveys - For single-monitor, 37% play at 1080p, 26% at 1366x768.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

But not surprising. There is a new xbox (and another new one coming next year) and a new PS4. I'm assuming AMD have had to develop new GPU's for these. So I'd say their R&D departments are stretched and I'd say that is why their flagship models aren't ready yet

I'd also say nVidia are well aware of AMD schedule (which AMD have brought forward in response to Pascal). The Pascal launch reeks of being rushed out the door frankly with a completely paper launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well thats because there is clearly a large part of the market that just jumps onto adopt early. Like for as much as Terror is outlining a very good point there, from another thread we see he's pre-ordered a 1070, on essentially the day it was announced.

It's pretty evident that Nvidia, a company interested in profits, is milking their fanbase. The FE cards are a pure indication of that. And while plenty will point out that issue, they still sold out in crazy short times.

There are loads of threads on OCUK of people taking issue with Nvidia pricing, and yet all their cards are spoken for, there is incredible volumes of ordering, and Overclockers are advising some pretty big lead times for restocks as most of the next waves are already spoken for.

Similar to an iPhone. Crazy money on launch, genuine questions over worth and value, yet the things fly out. It's an element of fanboism, its an element of wanting to get the latest thing as quick as you can.,

Nvidia of course would need to re-think their 1070 pricing, and 1080 pricing, if the majority stepped back and said "no, I'll keep my current GPU, thats not good value".

Every company that deals with products that have version release and iterations, tend to at points bump the end cost up, until they reach a saturation point where additional increases will reduce sales.

Maybe this is the level at which Nvidia finally meet resistance, but obviously they don't feel it is. They'd surely know the 480 would be a serious lowball pricing, yet they stil lfeel confident enough in their fanbase and customer base to put out the pricing they have on the 1070 especially, that looks very much over what I believe it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Yes, but Terror's like those American car adverts where someone in a big hat orders a whole day's worth straight off the production line, just on general principle. :-D

Well to be fair in my defence, I pre-ordered an Inno3D iChill model from Computer Universe for €450 delivered - it's one of the highest clocked 1070's on the market. That's reasonable value - my issue is more that even the most basic of crap plastic blower cooler models with stock core speeds are selling for the same price.

If they get back to me and say Hello Mr. Firmer, the price is now increasing to €499/519 or whatever, I'll be refusing to pay the difference on principle.

It's supposed to be a GTX970 class replacement but right now you can almost get two brand new decent 970's for the price of the average 1070. Sums the whole thing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

480 benchmarks

my 390 feels sad

Followed that above to this which explained some of the weirdness during the launch.

Might upgrade to this card if those results hold up; been eyeing up a 1200p monitor upgrade.

Getting buyers remorse :(

Getting buyers remorse :(

Welcome to PC gaming! :pac:

I don't think buyers remorse comes into it. The 480 is set to be a fine card for 1080p gaming, but it's still going to be way behind the 1070. We have real world benches for the 1070 and its a solid card, the 480 we only have synthethics which have yet to translate into real world performance. Even then, at best, it'll topple the 970/970 class. And SLI has it's own issues, and being frank, Crossfire is even worse.

Nothing to be remorseful about to be honest, they are totally different market segments.

• Advertisement

I don't think buyers remorse comes into it. The 480 is set to be a fine card for 1080p gaming, but it's still going to be way behind the 1070. We have real world benches for the 1070 and its a solid card, the 480 we only have synthethics which have yet to translate into real world performance. Even then, at best, it'll topple the 970/970 class. And SLI has it's own issues, and being frank, Crossfire is even worse.

Nothing to be remorseful about to be honest, they are totally different market segments.

1070 I wouldn't have been remorseful, even a 1080 under 700 but I caved and ordered a EVGA 1080 SC for 729.99 :(

Ah well no upgrades for me for a while!

Advertisement